Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dessert help

Options
  • 26-10-2011 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having the in laws over for dinner but don't know what to do dessert.

They like ice cream n cho but ice cream from a cone.

They also like baileys

I like strawberries ha.

Any suggestions on something simple

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Nigella's sticky toffee pudding and some vanilla ice cream

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/easy-sticky-toffee-pudding-180

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Having the in laws over for dinner but don't know what to do dessert.

They like ice cream n cho but ice cream from a cone.

They also like baileys

I like strawberries ha.

Any suggestions on something simple

Chocolate brownies and vanilla ice cream. You'll find good brownie recipes in the cake/pie section of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

had a rake of people over last Friday so I did a puff pastry apple thing. Literally took 2 mins.

Sheet of puff pastry
    Cooking Apples
    Sugar
    Walnuts
    Sultanas
    Cinnamon
    Butter

You can get puff pastry in the fridge in Aldi – which makes this easier. (don’t have to defrost or roll out) Peel and chop the apples into a bowl. Add in sultanas & chopped walnuts and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Give it a mix around. Lay puff pastry sheet on baking tray, put the apple mixture on the sheet leaving about a 2cm border around the edge. Dot the top with butter. Put in a med oven for about 20-30 mins until the pastry is nicely risen & browned. Serve with cream/ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How about a Bailey's & Toblerone cheesecake? My sister made this recently and it tasted amazing. It was a little soft, so I'd recommend 20 mins in the freezer before slicing to firm it up.

When making the base, my sister used half digestives and half choc-chip cookies. Turned out really well.

For the Filling

275g / 10oz Cream Cheese (Philadelphia - has to be full fat)
    225g/ 8oz icing sugar
    300g Toblerone Crushed (I put it into a food processer - should be crumbly and some chunks in it)
    570ml/1pt cream
    1-2 tblsp Tia Maria or Baileys (Optional)

For the Base
    1 pkt choc digestive biscuits / goldgrain (cheapest make will do)
    2 oz hazelnuts (optional - I leave out)
    4oz butter/margarine

Prepare the base by crushing the biscuits and nuts and mixing butter (no need to melt) Do this in the food processor until all mixed together. Line the bottom of a springform metal cake tin with this mix and smooth out with a spoon (this recipe is for one size of the large tins - though you can adjust to the smaller ones too) Set in the fridge for about 30mins

Blend in icing sugar into cream cheese until smooth. Then mix in the toblerone. Whip Cream until fairly stiff and fold into cheese mix, add the baileys or tia marie if required. Smooth the mixture of the biscuit base (flatten the top with a knife or spoon) and set in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Lasts about 4 days once made.

Advertisement