Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch Trouble - Anyone with experiance of master cylinders...

• 26-10-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Having trouble with a car clutch, posted on motoring section but no responses. I know some guys here are pretty mechanically minded...

Spent the evening messing with a master cylinder for a Toyota Corolla mad.gifmad.gif

Problem - Clutch was not disengaging the drive, impossible to change gear once she warmed up. Decided to renew seals in the Master and Slave Cylinders. Despite the fact that there was no fluid leaking...... Should have known better....

Fitted seals, no problem. Bolted cylinders back onto car.

Tried to bleed it - no luck - No fluid exiting master cylinder and level in reservoir not dropping, even when hose disconnected.

Removed master cyl, and took reservoir off it. Noticed 2 holes on top of cylinder to let in fluid and the smaller one was blocked so cleaned it. Realised that was probably my problem all along as the cylinder probably wasn't getting enough fluid.

Put the cylinder back together and tried pouring some fluid into the reservior - working perfectly when i pumped the piston. Delighted to have figured it out, or so i thought...

Fitted it back into the car and low and behold, no fluid coming out of it again. Opened clevis pin on pedal and pumped it by hand. Fluid came out for the first 2 strokes and then no more!!! mad.gif

Driving me crazy. I wonder are the seals too tight as when I press the cylinder, then cover the outlet, the piston only springs back to position when I release my thumb and let in some air. I would have thought that it would suck some fluid/air down from the reservoir instead....confused.gifconfused.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've changed both master and slave seal before on my David Brown tractor. I did them for both brakes and clutch. Assuming you put the seals in the right way, it probably down to bleeding.

Basically start at the reservoir and work you way down. Is the reservoir pipe going into the right hole on the Master Cyl? If so open the pipe slightly until the fluid drips out. Pump the pedal and you should get feel the fluid in the cylinder. Open all the connections one by one down along then untill all the air is out. There is a small nipple on the slave cylinder. This is the last bleed.

When doing a job like this, worth keeping a camera handy and photo everything as you take it apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Seals are in the right way around and I've the Hayes manual too!! I can connect foot pump to outlet of master cylinder and bubbles run up through the reservoir. Then when I remove the pump, no fluid drips out!! :confused: Might have to give my mechanic a call!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Keep at it. Bubbles up through the reservoir, you're on the right track.

Advertisement