Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are you voting for and will they have an impact on Agriculture? [Poll Added]

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Birdnuts wrote: »
    That may have made sense in the 80's but its 2011 with the GFA and McGuinness hanging out with Paisley et al , I thinks its time to move on
    and leave the partitionist mindset behind.

You seem very certain that the IRA "hard men" have gone away - it was only yesterday that i read in the paper about guys having to flee Derry as a result of threats on their lives - this guys were drug dealers as far as i could see but absolutely no circumstances does a "private army" have to right to be issuing death threats to anybody - criminal or not.

And it wasn't in the 80's that the McCabe killers were collected from prison by a SF TD - let's not kid ourselves hear and think that SF are some kind of reformed alcholic - they might be going to the AA meetings but they are still swigging from the vodka stash

I really would fear for this country if SF ever came into sole power - I think it would lead to an entire breakdown in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Tipp Man wrote: »
    You seem very certain that the IRA "hard men" have gone away - it was only yesterday that i read in the paper about guys having to flee Derry as a result of threats on their lives - this guys were drug dealers as far as i could see but absolutely no circumstances does a "private army" have to right to be issuing death threats to anybody - criminal or not.

And it wasn't in the 80's that the McCabe killers were collected from prison by a SF TD - let's not kid ourselves hear and think that SF are some kind of reformed alcholic - they might be going to the AA meetings but they are still swigging from the vodka stash

I really would fear for this country if SF ever came into sole power - I think it would lead to an entire breakdown in the country

couldnt agree more, and the most annoying thing is that McGuinness keeps going on about being a president for the 32 counties. Rightly or wrongly the election today is for a president for 26 counties and he doesn't seem to get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

5live wrote: »
    I realise also there is a strange attitude in the country, with MMG championed as a leader in the north but not acceptable as a dinner guest here

it does suggest a double standard especially considering the ones who vote for him in the north lived through the troubles, funny thing is the political parties down here were also born out of a gun!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Will all of these be living in the Aras?

201109060941211_md.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Tipp Man wrote: »

history ( in ireland and other places ) is littered with leaders who were seen as toxic before they became respectable :rolleyes: politcians , i doubt sinn fein have horns under thier hair or eat babies , as i said in a previous post , people who rise to the top in most countrys would stab thier own granny for power , thier usually not the nicest and most mild mannered of people and often give orders which result in people loosing thier lives beit in terms of war or hospital closeures , sinn fein are not inherently evil or anything of the sort , they have a different outlook than me on matters economic but that doesnt mean they want whats worst for ireland , dev and mick collins had a different outlook than the britts who ran this place nearly a hundred years ago , they were radicals in thier day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

pakalasa wrote: »
    Will all of these be living in the Aras?

201109060941211_md.jpg
    randy ould leprechaun isnt he :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

rancher wrote: »
    When gallagher was on dragons den, he was always a perfect gentleman, he always gave great encouragement to the enterpreneurs, never ridiculed them or ran them down as other dragons did and its based on his behavior then that i will give my vote, not on the stories of mc guinness

But he looks like he wears lipstick when on the telly.....and looks scarily like your man off Austin Powers......! :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2sw4FNJL9mDPJqyEcjkU_TALilI6KwH4gl95G_AoX8QE9b9J4DB3Gn0simages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk4bmoqxrQG1kIFhD7zQWzoLudBm94lobV1NFL6EuE0Ug1EUaR3ixaKpY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

irishh_bob wrote: »
    history ( in ireland and other places ) is littered with leaders who were seen as toxic before they became respectable :rolleyes: politcians , i doubt sinn fein have horns under thier hair or eat babies , as i said in a previous post , people who rise to the top in most countrys would stab thier own granny for power , thier usually not the nicest and most mild mannered of people and often give orders which result in people loosing thier lives beit in terms of war or hospital closeures , sinn fein are not inherently evil or anything of the sort , they have a different outlook than me on matters economic but that doesnt mean they want whats worst for ireland , dev and mick collins had a different outlook than the britts who ran this place nearly a hundred years ago , they were radicals in thier day

Sorry Bob but that answer addresses non of the issues that people have raised about SF and their IRA links

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

just back from voting, voted as far as number 6 leaving out McGuinness

voted yes to the judges and no to the other one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

snowman707 wrote: »

same as you in the referendums and put mc guinness no 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

LostCovey wrote: »
    Really?

Does he not look like a thumb with a face?????

LC

Imagine having to listen to David Norris for 7 years. He sounds like a Fordson Major, trying to start on a frosty morning at minus 17 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I haven't voted yet. I still can't decide who to vote for. Of all the candidates, Michael D is the most clean cut, but he doesn't have that charisma about him like Mary & Mary had when they were elected as president. The 2 girls went in there with great ideas and enthusiasm. Is it just me or does anyone else think that Michael D just wants to get in there to have an easy retirement from the political life that he lead. ie. He wants to stay in the game but he wants to slow the pace down for himself and sees this as the perfect opportunity.

I'd prefer to see a really active president, and Michael D just doesn't give the impression that he's going to be active - nothing against the man and all that.

We've never had as many candidates to vote for, yet we have never had as poor of choice.

Right I'm off to put some names in a hat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Really?

Does he not look like a thumb with a face?????

LC

Imagine having to listen to David Norris for 7 years. He sounds like a Fordson Major, trying to start on a frosty morning at minus 17 :confused:
    That's very insulting

to fordson majors

well nothing can be worse than having to look at brian cowens ugly mug while he was taoiseach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

whelan1 wrote: »
    well nothing can be worse than having to look at brian cowens ugly mug while he was taoiseach

Oh, I don't know whelan1, you might be a bit harsh on ol' Biffo.

Remember a certain man (allegedly) paid €5,000 for a photo with Cuddles Cowan.

Have you seen the infamous photo?

That's very insulting
    to fordson majors

I'd say he'd go like a clock if he got a shot of EasyStart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

snowman707 wrote: »

Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sue_1512

5live wrote: »
    I would totally agree with john on this. With just one addition.....

The President of ireland is our representative, a reflection of our will, if you like. His/her prime (only?) responsibility is the protection of the constitution and their total loyalty must be put into that job. Martin McGuinness is still a member of Sinn Fein and by association the IRA. His and SFs prime loyalty is to the IRA and not to the Free State as they still refer to us as round here anyway. They swear into a life membership of that organisation and it is not an oath they will accept anyone renouncing. Of all the candidates, including religous freaks and grumpy dubs and people with debatable opinions on age of concent, i find McGuinness the least suitable for this (or any) office in this country.

My vote is for Michael D all the way. Lets face it, he is harmless and actually knows the job is not about championing one particular cause but all causes in OUR country.

I realise also there is a strange attitude in the country, with MMG championed as a leader in the north but not acceptable as a dinner guest here
    i agree with you but i think everyone sees michael d as being a wuss, myself included! but hes the only 1 bar gay who has any history in politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sue_1512

sue_1512 wrote: »
    i agree with you but i think everyone sees michael d as being a wuss, myself included! but hes the only 1 bar gay who has any history in politics!
    and for your info MMG, was invited but chose not to attend and that has now backfired on him

• Advertisement

JohnBoy wrote: »

and his ears.

seriously, his ears are about 6 inches from top to bottom.

reason enough not to vote for him :)
    All he is missing is the trunk.

Shaping up to be Michael D. standing on a box opening the Ploughing next year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

johngalway wrote: »
    Shaping up to be Michael D. standing on a box opening the Ploughing next year :D
    And Lost Covey behind leading the applause;)

Once Norris self destructed, Michael D. was the favourite. Gallagher has done a lot better than I expected, it seems. That doesn't bode well IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

The poll is now closed. 83 voters wasn't too bad.

Did nobody vote for Davis?

reilig wrote: »

Think I gave her 4 or 5 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I find it disgustung the media gave Michael D a free ride to the Aras assisted by Sinn Fein and the ex IRA man.

Nothing about Higgins and his friendship with Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua whom he had to him home in Galway, despite his stepdaughter who said he abused her from the age of 11 and whom the government of that country paid upto $200,000 to go away, after they first said Ortega could not prosecuted since he was in parliament and then the time limit for action was up.
    Ortega is the man Higgins championed as the US were against Ortega's links to communism.

Then we have Higgins the man who took part in a candlelit vigil for terrorist Yasser Arafat, Higgins the man who complained that the EU made terrorist organisation Hamas a proscribed organisation.

Very appropriate Martin McGuinness on the Frontline helped to get Higgins elected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Who ?

pakalasa wrote: »

Who ?
    Some auld wan in a red dress. She can crawl back into whatever hole she came out of after today.

when i saw the davis posters i thought they where slimming world or special k posters tbh

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    I find it disgustung the media gave Michael D a free ride to the Aras assisted by Sinn Fein and the ex IRA man.

Nothing about Higgins and his friendship with Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua whom he had to him home in Galway, despite his stepdaughter who said he abused her from the age of 11 and whom the government of that country paid upto $200,000 to go away, after they first said Ortega could not prosecuted since he was in parliament and then the time limit for action was up.
    Ortega is the man Higgins championed as the US were against Ortega's links to communism.

Then we have Higgins the man who took part in a candlelit vigil for terrorist Yasser Arafat, Higgins the man who complained that the EU made terrorist organisation Hamas a proscribed organisation.

Very appropriate Martin McGuinness on the Frontline helped to get Higgins elected...

Yes I see your point.

But the alternative was Sean Gallagher.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

when i saw the davis posters i thought they where slimming world or special k posters tbh
    will we ever see you in a little red number:p:p.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I seriously think she has an excellent waist: hip ratio, I'm off to steal a poster for the office wall:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

the above post sounds like something you might hear on fox news or in a paddy o keefe column in the farmers journal , higgins isnt the only irish person to have stood against U.S interferance in latin america , higgins was a champion of bishop oscar romero , a leftist who was murdered by one of the american backed death squads in the 1980,s , as for arafat , was he anymore of a terrorist than ariel sharon or various other israeli prime ministers , those are bloody parts of the world with little to seperate the main protagonists at the head on each side in terms of morality or a lack of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

the above post sounds like something you might hear on fox news or in a paddy o keefe column in the farmers journal , higgins isnt the only irish person to have stood against U.S interferance in latin america , higgins was a champion of bishop oscar romero , a leftist who was murdered by one of the american backed death squads in the 1980,s , as for arafat , was he anymore of a terrorist than ariel sharon or various other israeli prime ministers , those are bloody parts of the world with little to seperate the main protagonists at the head on each side in terms of morality or a lack of it

Higgins proposed that we invite President Daniel Ortega over for a state visit, three years ago. He seems to ignore the sexual abuse allegations against him that caused protests when ortega visited Honduras.

Arafat stood over a group of Islamic fundamentalists that used suicide bombings against people.
    The Palestinians look for trouble then cry when Israel responds.

Higgins proposed that we invite President Daniel Ortega over for a state visit, three years ago. He seems to ignore the sexual abuse allegations against him that caused protests when ortega visited Honduras.

Arafat stood over a group of Islamic fundamentalists that used suicide bombings against people.
    The Palestinians look for trouble then cry when Israel responds.

never heard of those sex abuse allegations but it wouldnt surprise me if the usa was behind them , beit with hugo chavez or fidel castro , uncle sam tends to invest quite a bit in muck raking when it comes to leaders of poor countries who threaten american corporations interests

i bet you would cry if your house was bulldozed down so as to make way for some irish american family who liked the idea of moving to the home country , a word of advice , try seeing with both eyes , the world is coloured in several shades of grey , it aint black and white

Have we any figures on the number of Irish people employed by Palestinian companies here?

Have we any figures on the number of Irish people employed by Palestinian companies here?

whats that got to do with the price of fish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Looking at the F&F poll, it's not too far from the way the election appears to be turning out.

• Advertisement

whats that got to do with the price of fish ?

You know as well as I do Bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Heard a guy from Galway interviewed today and he said he was glad the election was won by the man of letters instead of the man of envelopes:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Mickey Dee, called Michael Graham, a wanker, on the George Hook radio show.
    He was dead right. However his failure to notice that Hook is an even bigger wanker, is a concern as to his judgement going forward.

Are jobs, investment and money to be the only criteria for assessing political priorities?

Bit of a Jackie Healy-Rae view of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We could badly do with all three at the minute in all fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Im voting for Dana

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    Im voting for Dana
    Didn't you go into winter hibernation last week? Who woke you up? :D

This just in.....

Number of jobs provided by Palestinian-owned multinational in Ireland turns out to exactly equal the number of jobs provided by Israeli-owned multinationals.

Online forum posters will apparently have to dig deep and have to find other criteria to guide their judgement on the Middle East Problem.

This is Charlie Bird in Tullamore.

Good night Boards.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

This just in.....

Number of jobs provided by Palestinian-owned multinational in Ireland turns out to exactly equal the number of jobs provided by Israeli-owned multinationals.

Online forum posters will apparently have to dig deep and have to find other criteria to guide their judgement on the Middle East Problem.

This is Charlie Bird in Tullamore.

Good night Boards.

LC

Teva is Israeli isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Teva.ie website still lists Waterford as does Linkedin and also a Dundalk Commercial office not mentioned in the 2009 link you posted.

Teva.ie
    Commercial Division

Teva Pharmaceutical Ireland's commercial arm is based in Dundalk and is responsible for managing the sales and support services for Teva’s large portfolio of products. The company is rapidly evolving in Ireland and is continually expanding its range of products to better meet the needs of Irish patients and healthcare professionals. Products available cover a wide range of therapeutic areas including cardiovascular health, central nervous system, respiratory, pain relief and infection control. Dosage forms include extended and immediate release tablets and capsules, injectables, creams, ointments, solutions, suspensions and inhalers. The company's proprietary research and development pipeline is currently focused primarily on three niche specialty areas: neurological disorders, autoimmune diseases and oncology.
    Manufacturing Division

Teva is a major employer in Ireland with hundreds highly skilled staff working in the company’s Waterford based manufacturing facility, which includes a research and development department on campus. The Waterford plant is of major strategic importance within the Teva manufacturing network and is responsible for the manufacture and development of respiratory products for supply to the United States and other global markets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement