Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

java book?

Options
  • 26-10-2011 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Could anybody recommend a good java book for beginners?Im hoping to do a java course in the new and want to get a head start.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

A good free start would be Thinking in Java.

There is a free version to download on that site...dont have the exact link now as the site is either down right now or is banned here in work. Google it and there will be plenty of places to download it from. Plenty of better books out there but this one is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Java: How to program by Deitel is also a very good book. I think you will find out for yourself after a while though that there will be no one book that will do it for you, and will probally end up going through quite a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

yeah done a bit of C++ a few years back on my own and ended up getting a few books.

thanks for the replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I wouldn't recommend Thinking in Java to an absolute beginner, but if you're handy with C++ it's a good choice. Older editions are free, but might not cover newer java features such as generics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Do you really need a book now days ..? So much info/tutorials out their for free on the net. Youtube is worth a look also ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

k.p.h wrote: »
    Do you really need a book now days ..? So much info/tutorials out their for free on the net.
    That's true to an extent but if you're a newbie you won't know what's a good tutorial versus a bad one and I've definitely seen a lot of bad tutorials! At least with a book you can trawl around different sites reading reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I would recommend Head First Java by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates , and steer clear of Deitel.

prefer to learn from books.Dont have 2 monitors so cant have a tutourial open and netbeans without feeling squashed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

alb wrote: »
    I would recommend Head First Java by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates , and steer clear of Deitel.

I'd recommend this. Excellent book for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i can reccomend this book also, i had to repeat my first year exam in java over the summer and i bought this book, its brill, ive bought quite a few head first series now, as they are just fantastic, humorous and "brain friendly"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

HF java is where I started, found it OK to start with, seems to use a lot more visual cues, which actually helped me in understanding what OOP is all about.

I'm interested in why you said stay clear of deitel, I found it good, has plenty code examples with loads of comments to explain what's going on along the way. Maybe a bit dry for an absolute beginner, but I definitely wouldn't rule it out to help fill any gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

I liked "Java- In easy steps" by Mike McGrath. Its very suitable for a beginner, is not dry, and has some colour in it! Its normally available here in PC World, normal bookshops too.

I would reccomend downloading Eclipse to write and run your code instead of using a command line like it says in the book though.

well I ended up getting headfirst java.Thanks for the heads up on it

Enjoying and it is a different approach to some of the books I have on C++.

just getting use to the netbeans and ironing out my synthax errors(damn curly brackets and these feckers-> ;:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I was just going to post again and recommend Deitel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 web designer meath

Java for Dummies - I love these books; written for the layman.

Advertisement