Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Week strategy

Options
  • 26-10-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions on how people treat bye weeks.

I'm in a total of 4 leagues. In one I'm basically giving up on this week as I've 7 players on bye. My team is good (6-1) and its a deep enough league that any replacements would be poor enough (replacing Rodgers with gabbert/ponder etc)

I don't mind switchng DST and kickers as I don't really hang on to them anyway but I'm not dropping a player of value to pick up a scrub, just for one week.

Anyone disagree with this strategy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'd be in favour of the above strategy too. The two extremes are either having the majority of your players on the same bye week, or having none of them on the same bye week. Anything in between (i.e. 2 players on Week7, 2 on Week 8 and 2 on Week 9) is very hard to manage with limited bench space. Either of the two extremes are the better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I agree on the strategy.

I dont consider bye weeks when drafting I want the best players I can get in my evaluation.

Fact is come playoff time bye weeks are irrelevent so it only impacts your ability to get to the playoffs.

I wouldnt draft to get every player in the same bye week as a strategy but if it falls that way I would be happier. Giving up one win by having msot of your team out one week and having a big advantage over teams that might have 1-2 studs out for 2-3 weeks as you play them in the middle games if perfect.

giving up 1 loss fo rprobably 3 wins you woudl be mad not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

I think it's foolish to trade away your best players for the sake of 1 week especially QB,RB or WR.
    In saying that my WR core is pretty piss poor so I add/drop them often.
    I try to see what players have bye's coming up and try to get replacements in a few weeks early so as not to be caught and stuck with crap players.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well the idea wasn't to drop your best players, but players you feel have a decent value.

No one's dropping Peterson/Rogers/megatron for a bye week replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Imo it's better (especially in a 16 team league where your #3/#4 WR's/RB's are most likely going to be quite poor) just to have one week where you are missing your all/most studs and it's a write off, rather than missing a combination of your big players on 2/3 seperate weeks and possibly losing 2/3 matchups.

Incidentally that's happening to me this week. In one league all I have on my bench is McCoy and my D is on a bye too but now way I'm trading away any of my bye players (Jennings/McFadden/Jets D) just for the sake of one week.

• Advertisement

I let the Jets D go in a league I'm in. See defences as being match up plays most weeks

Would never hang on to a kicker either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dodge wrote: »
    I let the Jets D go in a league I'm in. See defences as being match up plays most weeks

Would never hang on to a kicker either

Depends on the depth of the league. If you've got a kicker who's scoring near the top of the rankings in a 16-man league I'd be very wary of dropping him on the waiver wire unless I had no other option.

Syferus wrote: »
    Depends on the depth of the league. If you've got a kicker who's scoring near the top of the rankings in a 16-man league I'd be very wary of dropping him on the waiver wire unless I had no other option.

But for kickers I feel some scoring is a little flukey.

Take Josh Scobee for example. He's ranked 8th but has had games of 5, 4, 6, 8& 9 in 5 of his 7 weeks. I think most kickers can get that, and I wouldn't have a problem with finding a kicker each week that I think could get me 8 points or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

It seems in deeper (16 team) leagues as thefringe players aren't likely to score heavily any given week, you aren't too badly off to leave a spot or two open. K can be picked up on a week-to-week basis and the difference between the top kicker and an average one isn't much for the flexibilty.

I would have said the same about a Def, but this year it seems there are some top D's you should not let go. It may just be my team (Bray Broncos - Div4 doing terribly) but it seems scoring is a bit down fantasy-wise, and the diff between a top D and an average replacement is considerable.

Advertisement