Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General Discussion on Vendors, Devices etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Allan45121

heres a wee project i've spent the last hour on.. tired of my mods falling over and couldn't find a stand online that didn't have loads of holes i don't need.
    Its a bit rough and ready but does the job :-)
    2015-06-11%2012.28.44.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Allan45121 wrote: »
    heres a wee project i've spent the last hour on.. tired of my mods falling over and couldn't find a stand online that didn't have loads of holes i don't need.
    Its a bit rough and ready but does the job :-)
    2015-06-11%2012.28.44.jpg
    That looks the biz mate!

lads lads lads... c'mon tae funk..
    I can't do any more to calm her down it seems, I didn't mean anything and she thinks I'm having a real dig at her for some reason.
    Simply not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Allan45121

Didihno wrote: »
    I can't do any more to calm her down it seems, I didn't mean anything and she thinks I'm having a real dig at her for some reason.
    Simply not the case.

I wont take sides but, and i'm no admin, but i'd have to say i saw no problem with what you were saying.. and there were no accusations of shilling or of any kind.. maybe jenny just got the wrong end of the wrong stick

You know that healthier choice sell x, y and z hardware, but not the juice? Or the fact that wicked was very clearly mentioned in the thread, with them as a stockist? The same link you stated you wouldn't recommend.

Pull the other one.

I'll stick to Irish vaping and the other vape groups I'm on if this is the cr@p that goes on in here.

Later, lads.
    Ah here, you're making something out of nothing Jenny.

I'm done trying to explain, you think my posts are some sort of conspiracy against you and they are not.

One final time, I'm going to apologise for whatever offence I seem to have caused you, it was not intended and you've made a mistake which I hope hasn't ruined your liking for this forum. Your posts are as valued as anyone elses I feel and I hope you have a nice rest of the day.

Best of luck,
    D

• Advertisement

I wont take sides but, and i'm no admin, but i'd have to say i saw no problem with what you were saying.. and there were no accusations of shilling or of any kind.. maybe jenny just got the wrong end of the wrong stick
    Honest to God Allan, there was nowt in it. No motive, no snideness (?) or anything. The lady is picking holes in my past posts and really, I hardly remember what I posted yesterday or in what thread verbatim (does anyone?) but honestly I'm at a complete loss trying to figure out what I've done.

So I've apologised again and I'm leaving it at that.
    I'll chalk it up to one of those weird internet things.
    I do hope though that she doesn't leave the board over this nothing, because shes a fair poster IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

FWIW, I think is just a misunderstanding and I've found both of your posts very helpful and informative in the past so it'd be a shame to lose a decent poster or have any bad feeling between you for a misunderstanding.

Sorry, none of my business really but hopefully that might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Bit of a meltdown there really. Do agree that both are good contributors here.

I'd be careful slagging VIP though if i'd work there. Appreciate the honesty obviously but could be caught out if any effort was put into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I'd stay off that 0mg Nic,you need a stronger hit :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Started a new job on Tuesday and didn't want to bring the istick or nautilus so I've been bringing the ego bat and aspire maxi tank and I must say the difference is gigantic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

I just tried doing up the RBA coil thing for my leaking kanger subtank plus. I'm not very confident about the cotton that I put in. I used the cotton in the subtank plus box I think I might have stretched it a little bit during the process and now I think that there isn't enough cotton in the coil. Could this be true or is there even such thing as having too small amount of cotton? I can hear the normal sound of the vape for a half inhale then it's all just hissing afterwards and smelling a little burnt too. I'm using it at 22W because it tasted burnt at 30W.

I just tried doing up the RBA coil thing for my leaking kanger subtank plus. I'm not very confident about the cotton that I put in. I used the cotton in the subtank plus box I think I might have stretched it a little bit during the process and now I think that there isn't enough cotton in the coil. Could this be true or is there even such thing as having too small amount of cotton? I can hear the normal sound of the vape for a half inhale then it's all just hissing afterwards and smelling a little burnt too. I'm using it at 22W because it tasted burnt at 30W.

Here is a video,he really explains everything regarding coil builds & wicking on a subtank,especially for new vapors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRzXuqs5p2U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I think my 20W iStick is on the way out, it's reading zero ohms a lot and I have to unscrew the atty a bit to get it to register.

Ah well I got a good 7 or 8 months of pretty much daily use out of it and its a good excuse to get a 30W to replace it.

Here is a video,he really explains everything regarding coil builds & wicking on a subtank,especially for new vapors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRzXuqs5p2U

Just watched this and did my tank. Thank you very much. I was looking at thebestshop.eu for wire for the coil but I had no idea what the numbers meant on the kanthal wires. I'm looking at getting about the same ohms as the one currently on it which is 0.5(0.6 read from iStick). Unfortunately I have to ask here about that because the guy on the video made a 1.4ohm coil.

P.S. I was looking specifically at thebestshop.eu as I am gonna be buying some other stuff from them, too.

EDIT: Also, he didn't really explain the wattage stuff. I'm still unsure what to use for my 0.5ohm as he just specified the wattage/voltage he used for his setup which is 1.4ohm. :)

EDIT2: Just tried vaping it at 15W and after 2 drags, it tastes burnt. I reduced it to 10W just now and still tastes burnt. I did pretty much exactly the same as the video in terms of the cotton :(

I vape .6 coils on the RBA on an istick anywhere between 20w and 25w, vaping 23.5 right now. 6 wraps around a 2mm drill bit with 26AWG wire gives me .6 ohm coils every time.

I don't know what to tell you about the burning. As far as I know, it's either the wicking or a hot spot on the coil. Can you post a close up pic of your coil? It's a long shot but someone might notice something of out of the ordinary.

I vape .6 coils on the RBA on an istick anywhere between 20w and 25w, vaping 23.5 right now. 6 wraps around a 2mm drill bit with 26AWG wire gives me .6 ohm coils every time.

I don't know what to tell you about the burning. As far as I know, it's either the wicking or a hot spot on the coil. Can you post a close up pic of your coil? It's a long shot but someone might notice something of out of the ordinary.

Well it's pretty much soaked so I'm not so sure if anyone would see anything regarding the cotton. The coil came with the RBA deck of the subtank plus so I thought that wouldn't be a problem. Is there a chance that it is?

Anyway, here are the pics. I left about a centimeter and a half, as said on the video, on the cotton before I kinda squeezed it a little bit towards the juice channels.

351975.jpg

I was actually just looking at the pics myself and I can see the black bit on the coil there. Is that what you're referring to as hot spots? I can confirm that they are actually a little bit black on the coil and that's not just the lighting. Again, this was the coil that was already on the deck so I didn't try it out or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭LazyPicti

I was actually just looking at the pics myself and I can see the black bit on the coil there. Is that what you're referring to as hot spots? I can confirm that they are actually a little bit black on the coil and that's not just the lighting. Again, this was the coil that was already on the deck so I didn't try it out or anything.

Your coil looks fine to me.Use a little less cotton, cut it so it just touches the bottom of the deck and leave the juice hole's free of cotton, you want the juice to flow freely.And you don't want the cotton to be to tight in the coil or to loose, just a little resistance when your pulling it through the coil.

LazyPicti wrote: »
    Your coil looks fine to me.Use a little less cotton, cut it so it just touches the bottom of the deck and leave the juice hole's free of cotton, you want the juice to flow freely.And you don't want the cotton to be to tight in the coil or to loose, just a little resistance when your pulling it through the coil.

Thank you. I followed the guy in the video regarding the width of the cotton. About twice the inner diameter of the coil. Didn't measure it or anything but there is a little resistance in there so I'm hoping that's fine.

What wattage should I use?

What wattage should I use?

It really depends on the tank and your own personal preference.

But when i had a subtank i would use a 0.5 coil at about 25w

• Advertisement

It really depends on the tank and your own personal preference.

But when i had a subtank i would use a 0.5 coil at about 25w

Thank you. I just wanted a range of wattage I could use it in. Because the OCC coil head had a range on it which said 15w-30w so I just wanted to know what's 'safe' or recommended.

I just watched Vic's wicking in the video and personally think that's a terrible way to wick, i never had a good vape when the juice channels were blocked with cotton.

I just watched Vic's wicking in the video and personally think that's a terrible way to wick, i never had a good vape when the juice channels were blocked with cotton.

Alright. I just cut it now to just touch the bottom and not really block the channel. Hope it gets better as I am leaving for a mini holiday soon so would like to sort this out as soon as possible :(

Do you ever get burnt taste from your setup?

I would like to get the same/better performance than the OCC and that's what I was expecting from this RBA thing. I was vaping with the normal OCC coil heads for maybe 10-15 drags at a time or something before and no burnt taste. Hope that's the case here as well

When i had a subtank i would get little dry hit every so often when i pulled for to long but i have never done 10-15 chain vapes :)

Experiment with different builds and you will find something that is just rite for you, and its fun.

Just tried to vape it again.. Hmm..I'm not so sure now if it's burnt taste or just no taste.. And that was the first drag. I think I might be confused now about the taste but it really isn't a strawberry flavour. Not too sure where to go from here. :(:(

Maybe give your taste buds a rest for 30min and drink some water, then start again with some fresh cotton and play around with the watt's to.The inner diameter of the OCC coils are a massive 3.5mm if i remember correctly, that would alloy for lots of vapes without a dry hit, I'm not sure if the stock coil in the RBA is that big.

I don't have the plus, I've got the mini, so that may be swaying my initial thoughts but that looks like wayyy too much cotton to me! I'll attach a pic of mine. Also, I tried the coil you get with the subtank mini as it comes and had a better experience dry burning it and squeezing it together with tweezers. I'd take all the cotton out and fire the coil until it's red hot and then squeeze it with tweezers/pliers gently, so you're essentially joining all the wraps with each other without causing any overlap.

Pic didn't attach for since reason, here it is. So, the cotton is absolutely minimal and is only just touching the deck and juice channels.

Pic didn't attach for since reason, here it is. So, the cotton is absolutely minimal and is only just touching the deck and juice channels.

Mine pretty much looks like that now after Lazypicti's post so hopefully it tastes better tomorrow. Maybe it was the chili oil in my food earlier that has burnt out my taste buds :P I'll let it wet overnight so that there's absolutely no chance that the cotton is dry.

• Advertisement

Just watched this and did my tank. Thank you very much. I was looking at thebestshop.eu for wire for the coil but I had no idea what the numbers meant on the kanthal wires. I'm looking at getting about the same ohms as the one currently on it which is 0.5(0.6 read from iStick). Unfortunately I have to ask here about that because the guy on the video made a 1.4ohm coil.

P.S. I was looking specifically at thebestshop.eu as I am gonna be buying some other stuff from them, too.

EDIT: Also, he didn't really explain the wattage stuff. I'm still unsure what to use for my 0.5ohm as he just specified the wattage/voltage he used for his setup which is 1.4ohm. :)

EDIT2: Just tried vaping it at 15W and after 2 drags, it tastes burnt. I reduced it to 10W just now and still tastes burnt. I did pretty much exactly the same as the video in terms of the cotton :(

Sorry about that,the video I picked was mainly for the wicking part.
    Is it the stock coil on the RBA that you are using or your own,I need this question answered first.

It seems that your coil is at fault,it has hot legs,coil is not glowing from the inside to outside or the screws are not snuggly tight.

Here is a few calculating links to read over...

http://coiltoy.ermeso.com/

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=0.3&awg=24&id=2.5&ll=4

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_awg_to_metric

Regarding the wire,Kanthal A1 is a good starter,there are 2 measurements of wire we use,AWG or MM (check the 3rd link) for a .5ohm coil on a subtank,here is one of many that I use....(single micro coil)

Kanthal A1 Wire-24AWG - 3.0mm coil,6 wraps,when coil is connected to RBA,coil needs pulsing by firing your mod for a few seconds at a time,around 12w,this will improve the performance of your coil, you will also have to pinch or scrape the coil to get it working 100%,hopefully you have seen this done on YT.
    I find it difficult to put everything into words,I learn alot faster when looking at YT videos.
    When ordering the wire from Bestshop http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/310-kanthal-a-1-wire.html get the Kanthal A1 - 24 AWG (0.50mm) or the 26 AWG,the higher the AWG number is,the thinner the wire gets.

If you are still stuck,get back here,Good Luck:)

Sorry Lads,I jumped in here before I saw your earlier posts.

Advertisement