Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living off grid question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Theres a cob house in Co Sligo, built with planning permission, picture attached, which is amazing but still cost around the same as a standard house, well worth checking out, they arn't off grid however!!. If the op wants a low energy house he should look at a passive house, heating down to around 200 a year, if you combined a passive house with some micro generation (micro hyrdo being the most consistant if you can find a suitable site) then you can get down to a net zero energy house and if grid connected possibly export surplus power!!.

Straw bale houses can be built but you need to use a different straw, theres a specification for them somewhere, you can't go to your local farmer and buy any old straw!! They also need to be put into timber frams walls fpr support breathable lime render used, Hemp lime or hempcrete are other alternatives.

These are green sustainable building methods (well passive may not be depending on materials used) and to do it right none are cheap but it can and has been done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

That is a nice looking house
    No6 wrote: »
    Theres a cob house in Co Sligo, built with planning permission, picture attached, which is amazing but still cost around the same as a standard house, well worth checking out, they arn't off grid however!!. If the op wants a low energy house he should look at a passive house, heating down to around 200 a year, if you combined a passive house with some micro generation (micro hyrdo being the most consistant if you can find a suitable site) then you can get down to a net zero energy house and if grid connected possibly export surplus power!!.

Straw bale houses can be built but you need to use a different straw, theres a specification for them somewhere, you can't go to your local farmer and buy any old straw!! They also need to be put into timber frams walls fpr support breathable lime render used, Hemp lime or hempcrete are other alternatives.

These are green sustainable building methods (well passive may not be depending on materials used) and to do it right none are cheap but it can and has been done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

With compliments of Manchan Magan.
    Please feel free to read and distribute.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I like the look of that cob house so I went Googling. Wikipedia is funny, it starts out saying how it is an inexpensive building material yet check out the costs of the projects at the end of the page :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob_%28material%29

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

158,000 euros for a 2150sq foot house??:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Noob question: why not build out of wood? renewable, lots of it about and plenty of knowledge about it out there, on the internet and in the head of every DIY guy and professional tradesman. If it's goode enough for North America and Scandinavia.....
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Noob question: why not build out of wood? renewable, lots of it about and plenty of knowledge about it out there, on the internet and in the head of every DIY guy and professional tradesman. If it's goode enough for North America and Scandinavia.....
    regards
    Stovepipe

Its only good enough for north America because you can attach ould fake stuff off it to make it look like an impressive house while it actually has the build quality of a swiss roll. I have seen new houses that were $350k and more being built out of wood and it was only an ould cluster fcuk of scraps shoved together with staples by illegal immigrants. I'm sure theres good ones but wouldn't go looking to yer average north American wooden house as an example of how to build one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I wouldn't be so quick to write off timber. You can let low paid immigrants (including some Irish friends of mine in Boston) do the work or you can roll up your own sleeves and get to work.

http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/

I also like the idea of looking at old designs and techniques and learning any lessons they may have
    http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/Turf_Houses.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

This guy's got a fairly fresh take on off the grid living with the added bonus of being camouflaged. I'd start a new thread on camouflaged houses and dwellings if it wasn't for fear of concerned citizens coming in shouting about da planning, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

eco2live wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am greatly interested in survival & self sufficiency and off grid living but with the way society is structured I think my options are very limited. I am renting and have no chance of buying land or property at the mo. I have looked into eco communities and such but all I have seen require money and really are not what I had in mind.

Are we the only creatures on this planet that depend on others for providing a home? and at what cost 35 year mortgages, 2 jobs, kids minded by others. It just feels like modern slavery.

I want to build my own home and provide my own food. I want to live in a community that take care of each other and help build each others homes in the knowledge that when they need help they will get it locally.

I feel that most society in general are one dimensional sheep and the media do not represent me with their greed inducing spin.

Is there any hope people?
    You realise that in order to 'build your own home' and get set up to be self sufficient, you will need resources and possibly land from other people. These other people will expect to be paid for their time and resources - it's not that strange, really. And I'm not sure characterising others as 'one dimensional sheep' is helpful - I'm sure they speak very highly of you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    This guy's got a fairly fresh take on off the grid living with the added bonus of being camouflaged. I'd start a new thread on camouflaged houses and dwellings if it wasn't for fear of concerned citizens coming in shouting about da planning, actually.

That's an excellent link and site, thanks for posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Tabnabs wrote: »
    That's an excellent link and site, thanks for posting it.
    Tis like a TARDIS alright, amazing what can be done with a little creativity and elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Some cool ideas,the skip's a bit cramped for my liking and I think I'd get a bit worried every time I heard a bin lorry :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@etho, I understand where you are coming from but having seen Swedish wooden houses up close, they are very efficient and make excellent use of space, certainly far more than Irish houses of the same size. With regard to build quality, the irish are in no position to slag anyone about workmanship...........With regard to housing made out of shipping containers, isn't there a housing project in London, made out of several dozen stacked units?

regards
    Stovepipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oz1411

2 weeks beffore Kevin Mclouds man made show came out i had in my head to build a small home in the woods behind my house i live in Croghan Boyle and im next to a nice sized wood land that im trying to track the owner of. i would love to start this project i build CNC machines for a living but i shocked my self when i relized i dont have any hands on practical expreance with old methods and clever living like you see from old tribes. the info has been very hard to find from planning to rights of cutting trees (the woods land is very thickly coverd and some one has been cutting some trees and leaving them aside but still needs some work)

i want this to be like the Kevins show in turms of of grid but want to find smarters ways to live of grid this will be my experimental and relax time project.

do you guys know if a shed like building can be erected in a plot like this withought planning and if it can be made from the surounding trees ?

also im not copying Kevin i relli did come up with this 2 weeks beffore that show started.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

oz1411 wrote: »
    2 weeks beffore Kevin Mclouds man made show came out i had in my head to build a small home in the woods behind my house i live in Croghan Boyle and im next to a nice sized wood land that im trying to track the owner of. i would love to start this project i build CNC machines for a living but i shocked my self when i relized i dont have any hands on practical expreance with old methods and clever living like you see from old tribes. the info has been very hard to find from planning to rights of cutting trees (the woods land is very thickly coverd and some one has been cutting some trees and leaving them aside but still needs some work)

i want this to be like the Kevins show in turms of of grid but want to find smarters ways to live of grid this will be my experimental and relax time project.

do you guys know if a shed like building can be erected in a plot like this withought planning and if it can be made from the surounding trees ?

also im not copying Kevin i relli did come up with this 2 weeks beffore that show started.

thank you

don't know the show but you can't build on land you don't own.
    if you own the land there is permission for putting up buildings related to agricultural land use, which don't need planning permission until they exceed a certain size, you could consult the planning laws for that.Also you might need to check any additional permissions relqated to your locale, like if it is and area of scenic beauty or something there might be further restrictions.

Hi thanks for the reply

i do not plan on building anything untill i find the owner to eather buy it or lease it of him do you know if i can build such a building under rented land? just incase it was not for sell?
    this peace of land is very odd deep inside it is a weard and freaky concrete box which looks like some part of an old cattle holding building. thats the only sighn of life in the plot well apart from rabbits dear and birds

thanks for the help

oz1411 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply

i do not plan on building anything untill i find the owner to eather buy it or lease it of him do you know if i can build such a building under rented land? just incase it was not for sell?
    this peace of land is very odd deep inside it is a weard and freaky concrete box which looks like some part of an old cattle holding building. thats the only sighn of life in the plot well apart from rabbits dear and birds

thanks for the help

I guess that would depend on your agreement with the owner, if you can't buy it. some info on farm buildings here.

http://www.teagasc.ie/advisory/farm_management/buildings/planning_permission/PlanningRequirementsforFarmBuildingDevelopment.pdf

you would want to know the zoning etc to see what the land is actually allowed to be used for.

maybw the land registry can help track down the owner? Often local pp, especially if he is old would have some idea too, or long time residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A structure smaller that 25 sq meters and below a certain height can be exempt from planning.... (I think) . If yr building on own land no drama..if not an agreement or license would be good... As to services rain water, and a composting loo... Don't know how well solar pv or windturbines would do in woodland... There's loads of green building info and courses out there.. Plan on using what's most easily available... Stone , cob .. Wood... Combination..... I think the roof is hardest ..anyhow good luck..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

According to the SI, you would not be free of planning (as I read it?) http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    According to the SI, you would not be free of planning (as I read it?) http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2[/QUOTE]

I think you are right, the exemption is for extensions to a house below a certain size, not a house in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I have always harboured dreams of this type of "off grid" living. If I was single with no kids or commitments this is what I would do.: buy a field somewhere down the country for €5k-10k (sounds dreamy but you can get land off the beaten path for this price), install a mobile home(no pp required) and devote my time to harvesting the land. I'd have a gas cooker and bottle for cooking and washing and a genny for lighting and refrigeration or if a genny wasn't practical to maintain (diesel costs or availability) I'd have to be content with surviving on fruit & veg and food that didn't need refrigeration. Also I'd have a wood burning stove and a pack of dogs.
    That dream aside...I have to make do with the bits and bobs I pick up each Thursday from lidl and aldi :-)

Danpad wrote: »
    I have always harboured dreams of this type of "off grid" living. If I was single with no kids or commitments this is what I would do.: buy a field somewhere down the country for €5k-10k (sounds dreamy but you can get land off the beaten path for this price), install a mobile home(no pp required) and devote my time to harvesting the land. I'd have a gas cooker and bottle for cooking and washing and a genny for lighting and refrigeration or if a genny wasn't practical to maintain (diesel costs or availability) I'd have to be content with surviving on fruit & veg and food that didn't need refrigeration. Also I'd have a wood burning stove and a pack of dogs.
    That dream aside...I have to make do with the bits and bobs I pick up each Thursday from lidl and aldi :-)

mobile homes need planning permission, if you live in it permanently. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Good program just finished on tg4, anyone see it? Just caught the end of it
    Looks to be a series so should be on around 10, 9.30 next thurs.

Like the way the lads fried a few pieces of pheasant on what looked like a piece of slate to seal them, before putting them in a pot with some stock to cook through

i think it was only 4 i dont think he is doing more the hut is done.

regarding the planning it is a bit of a pest but under a certian size and can not live ther for over a number of days this is what i was told by planning dep. i found out who owns the woods behind me and they told me i am to do what i want with it ,,,,,( if i buy it ) hahaha they are speaking to ther boss so i can rent it ther are 8 of us so far who want to do this i might as will make a course out of it lol

Advertisement