Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone calls from home

Options
  • 26-10-2011 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Odd one. Just got a call from an Irish mobile; the number came up as an unrecognised Australian number though. Simple explanation? Gets routed through a local number perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mobiles are fine, landlines come up blocked for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

The reason I ask is that my mother rang - for the first time in 7 months, bless her sentimental heart! - because she has kept getting delivery failures with texts recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Yumee

I got a few missed calls from unknown oz nums too and when i rang each back there was no answer, then the mailbox was full so couldnt leave a message- it must have been calls from home going through a local number medium!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Yumee wrote: »
    I got a few missed calls from unknown oz nums too and when i rang each back there was no answer, then the mailbox was full so couldnt leave a message- it must have been calls from home going through a local number medium!

Would that be someone calling you on Skype? I think Skype works by routing calls over net to local exchange and then the last leg is same as local phone call to you. Could be wrong though, years since did that stuff in college...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Last few calls I've had from my folks on Irish mobiles have come up on my screen as Australian mobiles for some reason, almost thought they'd snuck over here for a visit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

Still haven't figured this one out, nothing to do with Skype by the way. Seem to be having trouble getting texts from some Irish mobiles, although it's not limited to one network, e.g., am receiving texts from some O2 phones but not others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Same happened me lately - my mother is in Oz and I am in Ireland, I rang her off my Irish phone and she said it came up as an unrecognised Australian number, this never happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

coco_lola wrote: »
    Same happened me lately - my mother is in Oz and I am in Ireland, I rang her off my Irish phone and she said it came up as an unrecognised Australian number, this never happened before.

I get that sometimes.

If my mum phones me it is usually a blocked number but on the odd occasion it's a Sydney number like 0290xxxxx or a vic number like 03xxxxxxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Thats happening me all the time now. My mum rings from home or mobile in Ireland and it comes up as an Ozzie mobile number 04xxxxxx.

It's really annoying and weird as I was job hunting there for a while and I'd see a miissed call from a number I didn't know so I'd ring it back and it couldn't connect me so I'd think "damn what interview offer have I just missed". Then my mum would text and say, that was just me ringing you for a chat.

It doesn't happen with all Irish calls, just some...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Last few calls I've had from my folks on Irish mobiles have come up on my screen as Australian mobiles for some reason, almost thought they'd snuck over here for a visit
    Must be some craic spelling your name to Australians or having them try and pronounce it?*

*If it is Eoghan

• Advertisement
Advertisement