Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone connection to tv

• 26-10-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Another iPhone/tv question. I bought a cable which I thought would allow me to watch movies, sky go etc on my tv. It will however only send my pictures and videos to the tv. I don't want to fork out €120 for apple tv if at all possible. Secondly my tv is pretty old and hasn't a hdmi connection. Here is the cable I am using http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=150642072500&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=93772103868

Any ideas as to why it won't show my iPhone videos etc on my tv?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

richiee wrote: »
    Another iPhone/tv question. I bought a cable which I thought would allow me to watch movies, sky go etc on my tv. It will however only send my pictures and videos to the tv. I don't want to fork out €120 for apple tv if at all possible. Secondly my tv is pretty old and hasn't a hdmi connection. Here is the cable I am using http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=150642072500&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=93772103868

Yes, Apple do not allow you to output everything to your tv, even with the official apple cables. You will have to jailbreak your iphone and install TVout2 which is an app that allows your phone to output everything to your tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Even by AirPlay, Sky Go, does not allow this facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

So even if i get apple tv, I cant watch skygo on my tv?
    HGow do I jail break my iphone? Is it harmful to the fone?

So even if i get apple tv, I cant watch skygo on my tv?
    HGow do I jail break my iphone? Is it harmful to the fone?

It depends on the firmware on your phone. If you happen to be on firmware version 4.3.3 it is very simple and only involves going to a website and clicking on a link. If you have a higher or more recent firmware, then I don't think it can currently be jail broken.

It does no harm to your phone and only increases its abilitys. I highly recommend it.

Ive the latest of ios on it.... only updated it this week.
    Does that mean i cant jail break it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

you cannot connect iphone to tv only to laptop or pc don't be silly. you can copy your movies from iphone and burn to dvd or something

Ive the latest of ios on it.... only updated it this week.
    Does that mean i cant jail break it?

Im afraid so. There is no guarantees with these things but I would hope that a jailbreak will be released sooner rather than later. There is a huge community working on it as I write this.

As for the commenter above, with a jailbroken iPhone and an app from the Cydia store (app store for jailbroken devices), the iPhone can indeed output everything including Sky Go etc, to your tv.

Thanks. Hopefully there will be a jailbreak out soon so. Once u jail break an IPhone, when u update it to a new iOS, does it lock it again?

Thanks. Hopefully there will be a jailbreak out soon so. Once u jail break an IPhone, when u update it to a new iOS, does it lock it again?

Afraid so, but there are ways around this but it can get a little complicated. I would suggest you do a little research on it. One site that I keep an eye on is RedmondPie.com. Just search for jailbreak info.

A few words of warning. Don't fall for the various advertisements you will see offering to jailbreak any firmware. Jailbreaking should and will always be free, and most of the ads are scams!

sugarman wrote: »
    tunedout wrote: »
    you cannot connect iphone to tv only to laptop or pc don't be silly. you can copy your movies from iphone and burn to dvd or something

Umm, yes you can:confused:

Ok maybe you are thinking of macbook or ipad or iphone or something cos i have an iphone and it doesnt go into the tv.

• Advertisement

Ok maybe you are thinking of macbook or ipad or iphone or something cos i have an iphone and it doesnt go into the tv.

I can assure you that you can connect your iPhone to the tv and output Sky Go etc. I can do it on my phone right now....

You need this.

Of course you can! And if you have an Apple TV, it doesn't even need wires.

Karsini wrote: »

it's for a macbook that has a usb port thing

culabula wrote: »
    Of course you can! And if you have an Apple TV, it doesn't even need wires.

of course it doesn't need wires because you can't even connect it. i know you are mistaking the iphone say for example with imac or ipod or ishuffle or iphone or something. it has no tv out.

it's for a macbook that has a usb port thing

Did you even read it?
    Put your slides, movies, photos, and everything else that fills your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S screen on an even bigger screen — your HDTV. The Apple Digital AV Adapter mirrors exactly what you see on iPad 2 or iPhone 4S so that everyone in the room can enjoy it on your widescreen TV, video projection screen, or other HDMI-compatible display. The Apple Digital AV Adapter also supports video out for iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Apple TV,,,

Good old Apple... I hope you know Apple TV is only to Stream Movies, Photos and Songs to your TV,, With Movies they will need to be Converted to Quick Time format. to be able to watch them over an Apple TV,
    and placed into Itunes.

Video will be lot less then great when that is done same goes for audio.

What you could do is Jail Break the Apple TV, Terminal Root into it and download Plex which allows you to Stream AVI, and also MKV formats, which cuts down about 3 hours of fooling around trying to convert the dam things and when their finished converting its time for BED !!! :mad:

you can also watch Movies on the Ipad and if the song is two low you can stream the Song the apple tv so you can watch the movie on the ipod while getting your 5.1 sound from the TV.. "cool" with iCloud i though you could Stream AVI from Ipad to Apple tv but No Apple dont do things Simple..

of course it doesn't need wires because you can't even connect it. i know you are mistaking the iphone say for example with imac or ipod or ishuffle or iphone or something. it has no tv out.

I can only conclude that you're bonkers.

Cork24 wrote: »
    Apple TV,,,

Good old Apple... I hope you know Apple TV is only to Stream Movies, Photos and Songs to your TV,, With Movies they will need to be Converted to Quick Time format. to be able to watch them over an Apple TV,
    and placed into Itunes.

Video will be lot less then great when that is done same goes for audio.

What you could do is Jail Break the Apple TV, Terminal Root into it and download Plex which allows you to Stream AVI, and also MKV formats, which cuts down about 3 hours of fooling around trying to convert the dam things and when their finished converting its time for BED !!! :mad:

you can also watch Movies on the Ipad and if the song is two low you can stream the Song the apple tv so you can watch the movie on the ipod while getting your 5.1 sound from the TV.. "cool" with iCloud i though you could Stream AVI from Ipad to Apple tv but No Apple dont do things Simple..

Hello. What?

maybe that thing is for an iphone so alright it has the usb thing maybe it connects up but you would need the apple tv. you can't just put an iphone on a tv.

• Advertisement

maybe that thing is for an iphone so alright it has the usb thing maybe it connects up but you would need the apple tv. you can't just put an iphone on a tv.

Oh right. That "TV out" setting is clearly there for no good reason!:D

Oh right. That "TV out" setting is clearly there for no good reason!:D

why did they put it there really?

it is for the apple tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I can only conclude that you're bonkers.

I can only conclude that you are right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

you can view the entire iPhone on the TV with the iPhone 4s.

I can only conclude that you are right. :D

Methinks tunedout is not tunedin.

Methinks tunedout is not tunedin.

that's unnecessary. i am leaving this room now.but when you try to connect your iphone 4 to your television you will see what I am talking about then.

that's unnecessary. i am leaving this room now.but when you try to connect your iphone 4 to your television you will see what I am talking about then.

I regret, but you're talking nonsense. I've been connecting my iPhone to my TV for ages, using this cable. The link has been posted, the words are in black, white and clear.

And I suspect that you're winding us up......

I regret, but you're talking nonsense. I've been connecting my iPhone to my TV for ages, using this cable. The link has been posted, the words are in black, white and clear.

And I suspect that you're winding us up......

maybe i have tried to wrong thing. would you have a video link youtube link maybe of an iphone 4 connected to a normal television (with scart and the circle phones)? this would prove it for me. i had a thing like the link you gave and it did nothing it wasn't even the right adapter on the other side.

maybe i have tried to wrong thing. would you have a video link youtube link maybe of an iphone 4 connected to a normal television (with scart and the circle phones)? this would prove it for me. i had a thing like the link you gave and it did nothing it wasn't even the right adapter on the other side.

The link was for an AV adaptor iPhone to HDTV. It tells you all you need to know in plain English.

It isn't for last-century SCART technology: you connect one end to iPhone, the other to an HDMI cable, which can get in a 2€ store. You then connect that to an HDMI input on the back of your HDTV. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Apple tv for streaming movies !!! Or music from itunes... As I said to play avi or mkv format u need to jail break your Apple tv and install plex I have an Apple tv along with an iPad and an iPad

Advertisement