Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laser genetics

Options
  • 26-10-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

What's the story with this one, do you need night vision on your licence? Advert on back cover of the october issue of ISD.They claim the NDX3 will paint a target at 500 yards. Also,anyone know how they are price wise? Cheers. LR.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

My health warning to you about them is this:

There does seem to be an awful lot of them coming up for sale second hand.

No I don't own one, no, I've never used one. Probably get jumped on for saying that, but if they were that good, why sell them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

That's a good point John, maybe they are too good to be true, or else they're just
    sh!te;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

I've had the oppertunity to shoot with an Nd3 and the nd3x50 subzero. Basically the nd3 is pure and utter s##t and is not suitable fo the irish Market as it is affected by cold weather. It would be ok in my opinion for rabbits on a warm night but that would be it.
    The nd3x50 is a much more powerful Model but I have to say if you want to get one pay the extra money for the subzero model as this will allow you to use it in freezing temperatures. The main problem with this model is the mounting system. It doesn't hold the laser unit securely enough but it can be fixed very easily.
    What turns most people off is the fact it is completely useless for scanning an area- so you still need a lamp or torch to do this.
    There's very few nd3x50's in the country at the moment from what I believe and I reacon it's because of the price. Im not 100% but I believe they will be around 500 euros plus.
    I used it on a few lamp shy foxes and got everyone of them but it took a little getting used to. Basically I found that the fox didnt pay any attention to it at all and was constantly moving so I had to make a bit of a squeal to halt them. The image through the scope is crystal clear out to almost any distance.
    I recommend anyone thinking of buying one to have a look at one first if at all possible before you commit to that sort of money because you'll either love them or hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

+1 to what Moby said re the ND3.

Needs too be used in conjunction with a light, not as a replacement for one.

The ND3X40 & X50 subzero are much better performers and still reasonably compact.
    ND3X40 subzero are running about €355 plus €100 ish vat & duty or
    ND3X50 subzero about €425 plus €120 ish vat & duty.

No night vision on your licence as its only a laser designator.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Chesapeake wrote: »

No night vision on your licence as its only a laser designator.
    Correct no NV BUT the act states:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic
    light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a
    firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e),"
    I think a laser designator would fall into the light beam category.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

I have the ND5 mounted on the 223 with a light mount i bought off of Moby30 here,I can honestly say it is excellent as you can narrow or widen the beam to your preference,Battery is the CRX type & it does what it says on the tin ,it will not spook game .I would'nt leave for a shoot without it find it an extremely handy tool to operate + it does work very very well.Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Correct no NV BUT the act states:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic
    light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a
    firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e),"
    I think a laser designator would fall into the light beam category.

Take your point CJ, but from my understanding that relates to dedicated NV scopes with image intensifier tubes built in to them………….

Another lovely gray muddle,
    Lamps …………OK………..Light Beams………….Bad!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

got a phone call from neighbouring farmer who lost a few chickens later to a very very lamp shy fox asking if i knew any way to get him, taught id give it a go this eve, he gave all the info and where the fox more than likely would come from, low and behold he came from said spot and under the laser genetics light he was like a fox never lamped, had to give a little call to make him stop:) , so i recon it will be coming with me more ofthen,
    i am using a nd3 * 50

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Horse2132002

Hey lads I'm just after buying the nd3x50 for my .17.from the reviews it seems pretty good.hopefully it will live up to its reviews. I'm just wondering if ye had and problems with customs in Ireland.i bought mine in England

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Ive shot with both and they are both amazing IF you know where your target is. Without a searching lamp they aint worth a sh..

• Advertisement
Advertisement