Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwintering Onions and Garlic in a new raised bed

Options
  • 26-10-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm looking for advice on how best to prepare the soil for these for this winter. It is a new bed and the soil has not been enriched before. I have manure but not sure how Onions and Garlic would do in soil with freshly applied manure. Would I be best adding chemical fertiliser for this first planting? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

hiya redser,

I was in the same boat as you last year with the garlic, i didnt bother with over wintered onions. If the manure isnt rotted down I wouldnt risk using it and just stick with regular fertiliser. IMO, it's definitely required and will get you nice plump bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Great, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Spread fish blood/bonemeal across the area u plan to plant in a few days beforehand if u can....

You can also put a small amount of the bonemeal into the holes you make for the onion sets and garlic cloves before then popping them into the holes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks alot Technophobe - I'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Slightly off topic, but I used bonemeal on the ground before planting celery and brussel sprouts and the plants grew like crazy. There was nothing but weeds before that. Speaking of which, anyone want brussels and celery... they are tough to give away because of lack of people who like them both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Hi I see you have your location as briggan but sorry don't even know if that is a place!! Would love some sprouts - the caterpillars have eaten mine! But I am in Mayo - any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Hi I see you have your location as briggan but sorry don't even know if that is a place!! Would love some sprouts - the caterpillars have eaten mine! But I am in Mayo - any good?

Add a Bal before the briggan

Advertisement