Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigging a Behringer 2442USB - Set up, Amps Etc

Options
  • 26-10-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi, and apologies for the clueless post. We are a six piece band and have bought a Behringer 2442USB for gigging, we aren't going fill Wembley, just small clubs, pubs and weddings. The question is, what is the best set up to use with this. I'm thinking a power amp connected to the xlr outputs and then on to passive speakers. I'd appreciate any opinions on what sort of a set up we should have as none of us are really sound-tech-savvy. We have enough inputs into the desk, but it's teh output bit that's puzzling me at the minute. We used to use a desk that the passive speakers just plugged straight into, no power required (I'm guessing it's got an amp inside the desk) The new desk we have only has xlr outputs so that confused me a bit. We don't want to splash on Active speakers if we don't have to. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

It was a bit of an outlay, but I stumped up for a pair of DXTX's for my bands set-up and our size of gig would be similar to yours. They're great because you can use them with almost any other equipment and they work with input or output. I'd say the best approach with the 2442 is to set everything to the centre and just bang away. Those things can take a lot of rough and tumble so don't be too worried about giving it a bit more welly as the night wears on, it'll be able to handle it.

I'd be a little concerned about you plan to go with the passive speakers though, not because they're not compatible with the DXTX's (they are), but because you can end up with very broad effect with passives that ends up dominating the whole set-up and that doesn't suit everyone. It would depend on what kind of a band you're in I suppose, but it's worth investigating. We use a Wompa bin and a Pulsetone woofer and that takes care of pretty much every eventuality. We could be playing a pub or an arena with that set-up really and it would work a treat! As for the actives, you're probably right leaving that for the moment until you work out if that extra expense is even necessary. Good luck with it anyway!

Advertisement