Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region: Banned from Clare twice within 2 weeks..really?

• 26-10-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

The first time I said Shannon was a dump and got banned straight away even though it was a "what do you think of Shannon thread"

Second time I replied to something that was said to me in said thread, (very civil I may add ) and the mod locked the thread..

And I started a thread asking why he locked it and got a ban for a month for it..

Now what the hell is going on here, I spend alot of time on other forums and have never came across over policing like on here..

If somebody gets abusive or so will then warn or ban away but this place or more so that sub-forum is run like a military bootcamp where if you don't agree with a mod your gone.

I thought mods were here to keep things calm or close troll threads and get rid of abusive people but to lock threads because the MODS no longer have a interest in them is stupid

And to ban people for stupid reasons well is just ****.

If the mods don't like the thread then don't read it simple as that but if it gets out of hand close it..

Why do MODS pick and choose what people can and can't talk about once it doesn't concern banned topic's?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We are now in fact gathering mode. All parties directly concerned with this DRP are encouraged to PM me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Black Swan and I have discussed this and we have come to the following conclusions.

Firstly, the moderators effectively operate as janitors on the site, keeping the place clean tidy and ticking over nicely.

Threads such as this in regional forums are very emotive as posters are referring to the homeland, your first post added nothing to the thread and was effectively deemed as trolling. You then tried to justify your first post after the infraction with your subsequent contribution; you should have really PM’d the mod but to be honest it would not have changed the context of the first. At this stage you were a disruptive force on the thread and your access was removed. Immediately after your ban was up you headed back to the thread that caused the problem in the first place. The mod correctly closed the thread, it could in fact have been closed much earlier.

After the thread was closed you opened the second ‘calling out the mod’. It’s here I feel both parties did not act in their own best interest. You didn’t learn the lesson from the first thread and subsequent ban as regard to PM’ing the moderator to discuss moderator direction. Threads such at this are the fodder of the DRP, where you are now. You should never have started that thread in a regional forum. The thread should have been locked straight away and you should have been refered to the DRP, instead it was left open where both moderators and users discussed site/forum policy again, the regional forums are not the place to do this. The Helpdesk, Feedback or DSP have been designed and are moderated to facilitate this type of discussion.

We're going to recommend the ban be commuted to 1 week and that all involved start with a clean slate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Black Swan and I have discussed this and we have come to the following conclusions.

Firstly, the moderators effectively operate as janitors on the site, keeping the place clean tidy and ticking over nicely.

Threads such as this in regional forums are very emotive as posters are referring to the homeland, your first post added nothing to the thread and was effectively deemed as trolling. You then tried to justify your first post after the infraction with your subsequent contribution; you should have really PM’d the mod but to be honest it would not have changed the context of the first. At this stage you were a disruptive force on the thread and your access was removed. Immediately after your ban was up you headed back to the thread that caused the problem in the first place. The mod correctly closed the thread, it could in fact have been closed much earlier.

I'm live not too far from the area, but thats neither here nor there..

I did pm the mod that first banned me, several times..

I headed straight back there to answer the post that was plainly directed at me...obviously, even the MOD quoted the lady and said I wouldnt be able reply for a week...

It was then a different MOD that locked it before the lady could reply (TBH I really think she was talking rubbish, so I would have liked to hear her reply )

After the thread was closed you opened the second ‘calling out the mod’. It’s here I feel both parties did not act in their own best interest. You didn’t learn the lesson from the first thread and subsequent ban as regard to PM’ing the moderator to discuss moderator direction. Threads such at this are the fodder of the DRP, where you are now. You should never have started that thread in a regional forum. The thread should have been locked straight away and you should have been refered to the DRP, instead it was left open where both moderators and users discussed site/forum policy again, the regional forums are not the place to do this. The Helpdesk, Feedback or DSP have been designed and are moderated to facilitate this type of discussion.

We're going to recommend the ban be commuted to 1 week and that all involved start with a clean slate.

I opened this thread because I felt the MOD closed the other thread prematurely and gave a bad reason for closing..

If you look closely you will see he has since edited he reason for closing the thread...

Look tbh I don't mind being banned, I won't lose sleep over it but I do think the MODS there are a bit heavy handed and maybe need to be told tone it down a bit, just because they MOD the place doesn't make them king,
    I will think twice about speaking my mind or even heading in there again..

How many more people don't bother with the place because of this I wonder..

Take care..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

top madra wrote: »
    I'm live not too far from the area, but thats neither here nor there..

I did pm the mod that first banned me, several times..

I headed straight back there to answer the post that was plainly directed at me...obviously, even the MOD quoted the lady and said I wouldnt be able reply for a week...

It was then a different MOD that locked it before the lady could reply (TBH I really think she was talking rubbish, so I would have liked to hear her reply )

I opened this thread because I felt the MOD closed the other thread prematurely and gave a bad reason for closing..

If you look closely you will see he has since edited he reason for closing the thread...

I've looked at the reason for closing before and after the edit, the edit is non consequential. Closing it was the correct call. You're welcome to PM the other user if you wish to continue the discussion.
    Look tbh I don't mind being banned, I won't lose sleep over it but I do think the MODS there are a bit heavy handed and maybe need to be told tone it down a bit, just because they MOD the place doesn't make them king,
    I will think twice about speaking my mind or even heading in there again..

How many more people don't bother with the place because of this I wonder..

Take care..

Let me know if you want to discuss this further or if there's any other occurances you would like to chat about here or by PM with either myself or Black Swan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ban changed to 7 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Closing this. Marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement