Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Broadband Contract

Options
  • 26-10-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

My rented house was flooded on Monday night with the bad weather. There was 2 foot of water and sewage in the house. We have no choice but to move. The house is contaminated and will need some serious work.
    I have a broadband contract that I started in June.
    Am I legally entitled to cancel this contract due to the circumstances?
    I've called the provider and am waiting to hear back. I just want to know if I have any legal footing if they make it difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

They might try and lump some cancellation charges on you. Otherwise, you could request that they transfer the service to your new address. It'll mean a new 12-month contract though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

You're not leagally entitled to anything as the weather was not the fault of the BB provider. What you need to do is to request cancellation on compassionate grounds - if you make a good enough case (as it seems) they should accomodate you due to the very unusual circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Thanks. It's neither of our fault really but it feels like a reasonable reason to cancel a contract. Hopefully they'll see it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is what insurance is for, so maybe check out your policy (assuming you have one).

Advertisement