Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Business Web site Host and email

Options
  • 26-10-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi,

a friend is looking to set up a retail business. Would be looking to set up a few email adresses with the business name and a business web site.

Nothing fancy at first for the web site, I will proably put it together , it will just be like an ad web site, no active sales or forums etc.

Can someone recommend a service ? Based in Ireland.

thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

blueyedson wrote: »
    Hi,

a friend is looking to set up a retail business. Would be looking to set up a few email adresses with the business name and a business web site.

Nothing fancy at first for the web site, I will proably put it together , it will just be like an ad web site, no active sales or forums etc.

Can someone recommend a service ? Based in Ireland.

thanks,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53028341&postcount=2

in rough order of quality/value

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

thanks for that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

You can always use Google Apps for your domain to create a simple site and then use Gmail. I think the free standard version gives you 50 licenses so 50 email accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

thesteve wrote: »
    You can always use Google Apps for your domain to create a simple site and then use Gmail. I think the free standard version gives you 50 licenses so 50 email accounts.

This option can work really well.

They've reduced the available user count on the standard edition down to 10 users afaik. It used to be a massive 200 max user accounts until they figured most companies were under way smaller. Reduced it to 50 which probably didn't have the desired effect and then down to 10. However even at 10, an awful lot of sme's will fall in this category.

There are premium options available for about €30 per user if you need enterprise management / monitoring of email etc... but in truth you probably won't and it is really good (and free).

All you need is your domain purchased and a bit of technical know how (which is actually contained in the help pages, but always helpful to have someone near that knows what the terminology will mean).

Apart from email, you can set up a site with their site builder. I have used it but never put it into public use. Some internal project sites and the like, and its fine for that. The other option is to use a blogging service like tumblr which will front a web address for you -

yourtumblrname.tumblr.com becomes [noparse]www.yourdomain.ie[/noparse]

This can be clever use of the blog.

All the above will cost zero so whatever budget you have could be put into a nice aesthetic for your site.

You could also consider wordpress or posterous (or many others).

Hope that helps.

Advertisement