Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MarkJD wrote: »
    Im confused. Is Setanta like behind the live coverage? All forums im reading showing Guida / Bendo fight over but its only showing 2nd round on Setanta now.

Where are people watching it if so?

Yeah the fight was live on Facebook and its just being repeated on Setanta before the main event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's the same on Primetime. Checked LiveOnlineFooty to see what the story was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MarkJD wrote: »
    Im confused. Is Setanta like behind the live coverage? All forums im reading showing Guida / Bendo fight over but its only showing 2nd round on Setanta now.

Where are people watching it if so?

No. The fight we're watching is q replay. I reckon it was just too good not to show.

When the Main Event starts we'll be watching at the same time as everyone else.

pretty pointless replaying the bendo guida fight internationally when most people have already seen it online moments before... id rather watch the pre fight hype/ build up thats on fox in the states!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

I love Joe Rogan. I would have his baby!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Gapeman wrote: »
    pretty pointless replaying the bendo guida fight internationally when most people have already seen it online moments before... id rather watch the pre fight hype/ build up thats on fox in the states!

No, what would be pointless would to have a different broadcast for International viewers.

What we saw was what Fox viewers saw.

Not everyone watching (not even most as you say) would've been watching on FB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Orange Sport in Poland showing the exact same as Setanta and ufc.tv is about 30 seconds behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

cmon dos santos, ROCKY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

What is going on in America? A couple of different message boards filled with 'oh cool they're showing the bendo/guida fight' 'no they aren't they are showing build up.' Different Fox networks in different areas?

I don't know. I imagine what we have here now is live.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No, what would be pointless would to have a different broadcast for International viewers.

What we saw was what Fox viewers saw.

Not everyone watching (not even most as you say) would've been watching on FB

this is what fox viewers saw instead of the bendo guida fight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

this is what fox viewers saw instead of the bendo guida fight...

Sure we'd have Johnny Giles and Eamon Dunphy if it was on RTE. They'd be whinging about Jon Jones being a poser and a spoofer. Or Jimmy Magee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

YESSSS!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

HOLY F*CKING F*CK BALLS!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SH!!!!TTTTT!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

HOLY S*HIT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

holy sh!t!!!!!

UFC's worst nightmare of this being over in a matter of seconds has come true :pac:

Was hoping for better than that from Velazquez. Good job JDS

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    UFC's worst nightmare of this being over in a matter of seconds has come true :pac:

Id say theyre delighted Benson/Guida went the distance :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really wasn't expecting that, fair play JDS!!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    HOLY F*CKING F*CK BALLS!!!!!!!
    tad00 wrote: »
    HOLY S*HIT!!!
    Roar wrote: »
    holy sh!t!!!!!

Holy sheite?! :p

____

My accum came in, thank you Mr. Dos Santos :)

ufcbets.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jesus Christ.

LOLLers @ Fox.

Boo. Wanted a great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I just went from thinking 'man I'm not as pumped for this as I expected to be' to

2006-07-04-grosso-in.jpg

And why was the commentary dead air for so long there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Wow - JDS only really uses boxing yet he uses it so well!

Delighted for JDS but feel bad for Cain - to train that hard and then lose so quickly must be very, very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

cian68 wrote: »
    And why was the commentary dead air for so long there?

That would have been an adbreak on the Fox broadcast

That was brilliant from JDS, delighted for him he seems like such a nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

And that is why you never order a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Amateur stuff from the loser. How the fúck was he caught with that looping right?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Amateur stuff from the loser. How the fúck was he caught with that looping right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSB_IMZ9UbyF3rNdwH-Vrgke_m3ElMXjJuDnBb8pFU83Hway-WI2R2eNrRCkg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Absolutely delighted for JDS. I actually sprung up from my seat when he knocked him down and ran around the room a little bit after the ref stopped it. I don't even know why, I just felt so happy for him. It got quite emotional after the fight, and it was just so good to see a good guy like Junior take the gold. Loved it!

JDS's timing is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Early stoppage? (didn't watch the replays).

Either way, huge anti-climax.

Delighted for the guy. Still sticks out in my mind how he won the coach's challenge on TUF and divided out a portion of his own prize amongst the fighters on the opposing team. Great champ for the UFC to have.

Jaysus.

Anyway, absolutely delighted for Dos Santos. He really showed how much it meant to him. I dont think there's a nicer guy in the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I know dana loves a finish but I wonder will he be happy with that or would he have prefered a 5 round war in terms of casual fan/first time viewer point of view..

• Advertisement

Definitely deserved stoppage. Face down, taking strikes and not defending. Nothing soft/early about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Holy sheite?! :p

____

My accum came in, thank you Mr. Dos Santos :)

ufcbets.jpg

Just over 4/1 odds. Well done. 26.98 return

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

SanoVitae wrote: »
    JDS's timing is unreal.

Yeah, i don't doubt it. Perhaps i'm being overly critical as my frame of reference is boxing. It's possibly not such a cardinal sin in MMA to be caught by such a wide looping punch.

Sorry if i annoyed anyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Whoop Whoop! Few quid back from that one :)

Excellent result from JDS, delighted!

Killme00 wrote: »
    Just over 4/1 odds. Well done. 26.98 return

Thanks man, thought I lost it for the Bendo fight at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Absolutely delighted for JDS. I actually sprung up from my seat when he knocked him down and ran around the room a little bit after the ref stopped it. I don't even know why, I just felt so happy for him. It got quite emotional after the fight, and it was just so good to see a good guy like Junior take the gold. Loved it!

Like most here,delighted JDS won,hope he reins for a long time,seems like such a genuine guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Secretariat

A era do a cigano é sobre nós...

Don't say you weren't told.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Like most here,delighted JDS won,hope he reins for a long time,seems like such a genuine guy.

I'd have been just as happy had I got not one penny on that fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Thanks man, thought I lost it for the Bendo fight at one stage.

Henderson was never losing that. I think he'll hammer Edgar too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Disappointing fight, want to see Cain get back in there as soon as possible. Hopefully he can destroy someone like Big Country early next year. I honestly think he will beat JDS the next time they fight. But no chance JDS will get past REEM.

Yeah, i don't doubt it. Perhaps i'm being overly critical as my frame of reference is boxing. It's possibly not such a cardinal sin in MMA to be caught by such a wide looping punch.

In MMA, you have to look out for and defend against things like takedowns, clinches and kicks - things that obviously a boxer never has to worry about.

If an MMA fighter is expecting a takedown attempt, for example, it's often possible for him to be caught by surprise by a very simple punch, even if he possesses very good boxing skills. An example of this is when Chael Sonnen (amazing wrestler, mediocre boxing skills) knocked down Anderson Silva in their match.

Notice how the mics were UFC mics until the Main Event and then Fox Sports mics. Just an observation.

Another is that, I really like John Anik, the guys an awesome pro. But they're going him no favours having him stand there on his own. They need a Florian or a Bonnar to make it look less awkward

Its just very different. Glove size makes everything just slightly larger then a regular fist. A slight angle change that a boxing glove would cover in a regular guard can cause a sh!tload of problems. Plus having to worry about god knows what else following it up (another punch/kick/elbow/knee/takedown/clinch/shoryuken) can cause hell

Xlami wrote: »
    Disappointing fight, want to see Cain get back in there as soon as possible. Hopefully he can destroy someone like Big Country early next year. I honestly think he will beat JDS the next time they fight. But no chance JDS will get past REEM.

JDS won't be fighting Reem. He'll be fighting Brock. ;)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    JDS won't be fighting Reem. He'll be fighting Brock. ;)

Go to bed. Youre drunk :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement