Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    JDS won't be fighting Reem. He'll be fighting Brock. ;)

Go to bed. Youre drunk :pac:

Brock's gonna come out, charge at Ubereem like an NFL player, take him down and pound his skull.

Great kickboxer is Alastair, but he'll be a fish out of water with Brock on top of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Its just very different. Glove size makes everything just slightly larger then a regular fist. A slight angle change that a boxing glove would cover in a regular guard can cause a sh!tload of problems. Plus having to worry about god knows what else following it up (another punch/kick/elbow/knee/takedown/clinch/shoryuken) can cause hell

Absolutely, you and the poster above make valid points, i accept it is a different beast. I still think it was rather sloppy that early in the fight, you can't tell me you weren't surprised either. I just expected it take something more to defeat who as i understand it was the best guy in the UFC. Well, outside of GSP and AS. I don't think either of those guys would ever get caught like that.

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Absolutely, you and the poster above make valid points, i accept it is a different beast. I still think it was rather sloppy that early in the fight, you can't tell me you weren't surprised either. I just expected it take something more to defeat who as i understand it was the best guy in the UFC. Well, outside of GSP and AS. I don't think either of those guys would ever get caught like that.

Matt Serra just rang me and told me to tell you he disagrees!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Matt Serra just rang me and told me to tell you he disagrees!

You tell Matt Serra he's far too modest, GSP was not knocked down with a wide looping punch.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    You tell Matt Serra he's far too modest, GSP was not knocked down with a wide looping punch.

Indeed.

I'm glad we agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Do have we any clarification on the different broadcasts in the US?

If all they got was 1:04 of Cain vs JDS then I think the UFC slipped up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Do have we any clarification on the different broadcasts in the US?

If all they got was 1:04 of Cain vs JDS then I think the UFC slipped up big time.

I'm searching around to see what I can find and from the looks of things the Guida v Hendo fight was NOT shown. Some pwople saying there was analysis with Brock and Dana in the lead up to the fight........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm searching around to see what I can find and from the looks of things the Guida v Hendo fight was NOT shown. Some pwople saying there was analysis with Brock and Dana in the lead up to the fight........

Yeah I was watching a stream of the fox coverage and before it was Brock, Dana and some other guy talking about JDS and Cain, trying to analyze the fighters a bit, then a few promo's of the fighters, I'm not sure what happened afterwards, didnt bother to watch.

One thing that annoyed me was how they went to a commercial between the fight ending and the belt being awarded, typical American tv tactic I guess.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was watching a stream of the fox coverage and before it was Brock, Dana and some other guy talking about JDS and Cain, trying to analyze the fighters a bit, then a few promo's of the fighters, I'm not sure what happened afterwards, didnt bother to watch.

That's awful!!! Because Hendo v Guida was so awesome I was pumped that it was gonna been shown on Fox!

I'm just reading some of the comments on mmajunkie and it seems Dana was pretty pissed off in the after fight talks

I'm just reading some of the comments on mmajunkie and it seems Dana was pretty pissed off in the after fight talks

yeah i've heard this too. I'm watching the presser right now and although he's saying all the right things, there's definitely an undercurrent of anger.

And one of the reporters pulled him up on being critical of Cain's performance. Apparently he said something on Twitter about it too!

And one of the reporters pulled him up on being critical of Cain's performance. Apparently he said something on Twitter about it too!

I heard that too, criticized his game plan I think? Understandable enough I guess, this was supposed to be the big moment for the UFC

Edit: Plus I guess Cain must have been worth a few Mexican viewers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

We're lucky it only went 1 minute, if it would have gone the full 25 then setanta would have shut off and encrypted itself at 3 on the dot. setanta can go **** themselves, they never do anything right

I heard that too, criticized his game plan I think? Understandable enough I guess, this was supposed to be the big moment for the UFC

Edit: Plus I guess Cain must have been worth a few Mexican viewers?

Yeah i'd say he's disappointed that the champ might've come across as....... well, human!
    dulux99 wrote: »
    We're lucky it only went 1 minute, if it would have gone the full 25 then setanta would have shut off and encrypted itself at 3 on the dot. setanta can go **** themselves, they never do anything right

Yeah i was thinking about this at the time, FOX would've went overtime too and they'd have had to cut off.

BUt it was an educated guess. This fight was never going the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

They're a pretty amatuer outfit alright honestly you can't rely on television to bring you MMA, especially in Europe. I spent €6 on a hdmi cable two years ago and I've watched pretty much every UFC card in HD on my tv since.

UFC only had its first event on proper tv tonight so I'd guess it would be at least five years before you can rely on tv to watch it here and that's a conservative estimate.

setanta can go **** themselves, they never do anything right

Heres hoping for a comprehensive deal with fox/sky sports/fx as soon as this ESPN deal is up so we can watch every single fight on tv on one channel. so sick of random deals with s*itanta and watching the prelims on a shi*ty stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

tad00 wrote: »
    Heres hoping for a comprehensive deal with fox/sky sports/fx as soon as this ESPN deal is up so we can watch every single fight on tv on one channel. so sick of random deals with s*itanta and watching the prelims on a shi*ty stream.

I personally find the Facebook stream just as good as watching it on Tv, get yourself UPC and a decent HDMI cable and you're away :)

Well, in fairness, you should never complain about being able to watch pre-lims on the web. They're pre-lims, they're not part of the deal. They're not part of the product. I think the moment people start complaining about a right to watch pre-lims for free in HD is the moment when they've been completely spoiled!

It's not so long ago that us fans here had to watch EVERY fight on computers.

Re: a TV deal. Dana hinted last week that they'd be looking for a deal with Sky or FX here. Either way, they want fans here to be able to see fights.

At the end of the day, we were able to watch the fight tonight. All it took for me was to navigate to Setanta instead of ESPN. Simple!

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I personally find the Facebook stream just as good as watching it on Tv, get yourself UPC and a decent HDMI cable and you're away :)

yeah, I watched mine tonight with the HDMI cable and the TV! Was sweet quality!

• Advertisement

Well, in fairness, you should never complain about being able to watch pre-lims on the web. They're pre-lims, they're not part of the deal. They're not part of the product. I think the moment people start complaining about a right to watch pre-lims for free in HD is the moment when they've been completely spoiled!

I know I'm spoiled but I love the prelims, often some of the best fights are on the prelims and I'd love to see them on tv. FUEL TV are taking over the prelims in the US in 2012 so there wont be facebook fights anymore.. If thats the way it's going in america I dont think its too much to ask that we get equal treatment..

I know I'm spoiled but I love the prelims, often some of the best fights are on the prelims and I'd love to see them on tv. FUEL TV are taking over the prelims in the US in 2012 so there wont be facebook fights anymore.. If thats the way it's going in america I dont think its too much to ask that we get equal treatment..

Well, you ask for equal treatment now, but why weren't you asking for equal treatment up until now? The reason is, because it wouldn't have benefited you.

If you REALLY wanted equal treatment, then you would be able to watch a few pre-lims on a satelite tv station and then pay $49.95 to see the main-card. That would be equal treatment.

But at the moment, you get to watch all the pre-lims for free online then you get to tune into ESPN and watch the whole card for free and you're still not satisfied.

I'm not having a go here. I understand the thought process behind it. But I think it's a rubbish thought process!

if UFC hadn't been so cool enough to make the Pre-Lims available for free you'd have never thought about it. But now that you get to watch them for free you feel a right to have them for free all the time. I don't agree with it.

Well, you ask for equal treatment now, but why weren't you asking for equal treatment up until now? The reason is, because it wouldn't have benefited you.

If you REALLY wanted equal treatment, then you would be able to watch a few pre-lims on a satelite tv station and then pay $49.95 to see the main-card. That would be equal treatment.

But at the moment, you get to watch all the pre-lims for free online then you get to tune into ESPN and watch the whole card for free and you're still not satisfied.

I'm not having a go here. I understand the thought process behind it. But I think it's a rubbish thought process!

if UFC hadn't been so cool enough to make the Pre-Lims available for free you'd have never thought about it. But now that you get to watch them for free you feel a right to have them for free all the time. I don't agree with it.

I just like watching fights, like watching the prelims and think it would be cool to be able to tune in and see them on tv. That's all. I dont have a "right" to them, i just enjoy them.

I think you think Im having a go at the UFC and I feel they owe me prelims in HD on tv but thats not where im coming from. I was just trying to point out that it would be sweet to be able to sit down and watch the entire card start to finish on tv. Id still tune in if they only showed 1 or 2 fights.

I just like watching fights, like watching the prelims and think it would be cool to be able to tune in and see them on tv. That's all. I dont have a "right" to them, i just enjoy them.

I think you think Im having a go at the UFC and I feel they owe me prelims in HD on tv but thats not where im coming from. I was just trying to point out that it would be sweet to be able to sit down and watch the entire card start to finish on tv. Id still tune in if they only showed 1 or 2 fights.

In fairness to you though mate, you ARE able to sit down and watch the entire card from start to finish on tv. That's what I did tonight and have been doing now for ages.

Laptop + HDMI cable (available in any electronic shop for like €5 or something) + TV = UFC Pre-Lim goodness!

The stream tonight was super! Watched all the fights and then switched over to Setanta for the Main Event. I do it all the time.

Last time I sat and watched all the Pre-Lims, then for the Spike Pre-Lims just went to UFC.tv, and for the Main card switched to ESPN. Easy!

I've no doubt that any deal with Sky or FX or whatever will include pre-lims. If not, then i'd bet UFC will make them available to us on UFC.tv

Laptop + HDMI cable (available in any electronic shop for like €5 or something) + TV = UFC Pre-Lim goodness!

Definitely going to do this. Can't really remember why im arguing about this in the first place. need sleep. :D

till the next time;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

So happy with Dos Santos, only for the fact I watched it at half 7 I would have been cheering.

He's been my favorite heavyweight since he came into the UFC and I knew after his fight with Struve that he would be the champ. He stopped Carwins take downs and I think a fight against either Brock or Reem is a perfect one. Reem makes him improve his stand up big time and Brock makes him work further on his wrestling defense.

He's going to be champ for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

SDTimeout wrote: »
    So happy with Dos Santos, only for the fact I watched it at half 7 I would have been cheering.

He's been my favorite heavyweight since he came into the UFC and I knew after his fight with Struve that he would be the champ. He stopped Carwins take downs and I think a fight against either Brock or Reem is a perfect one. Reem makes him improve his stand up big time and Brock makes him work further on his wrestling defense.

I think i've heard that one before ;);) (Lyoto, Cain)

He's a great fighter, superb boxing and has been very impressive in the UFC so far.

But i'm not sure what leads you to the thought that he'll be champ for a while. I've seen nothing that suggests to me that he's unbeatable!

I know it's been heard before. I think there's one HW who has potential to beat him and he's not in the UFC at the moment. Any bets of who I think ?

Guida vs Bendo was a war too. Ben was very close to tapping in the last round I thought. Interesting to see how Frankie can take him down. Frankie is known for his speed and take downs, pretty much Clay Guida all over and Guida had trouble with him. Could be a tough fight for Frankie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Wow. Way to go Do Santos!

• Advertisement

Great fight from Dos Santos. Cain was a bit crazy to stand with him. Looked a bit sluggish or something. I don't know if Junior can stand with Overeem or wrestle with Brock so either outcome will be interesting :)

Also interesting that Cain needed injections right before the fight and Junior tore his meniscus in his knee a week ago. Will need surgery and be out for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

anybody download it? website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Also interesting that Cain needed injections right before the fight and Junior tore his meniscus in his knee a week ago. Will need surgery and be out for a month.

I missed that bit with Cain. Was it for his shoulder? I don't know why he didn't shoot for more takedowns. Was JDS's footwork so good that he was able to stay out of range? I need to watch it again.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Thanks to his win last night, Junior Dos Santos now has now won 8 fights in a row.

Both he and Cain Velasquez had won 7 straight each in the UFC before last night.

JDS is now tied with Gray Maynard, Jon Fitch, Lyoto Machida and Royce Gracie for all time consecutive UFC wins. Only GSP and Anderson Silva have more consecutive wins with 9 and 14 respectively.

Pretty impressive record for JDS considering that it's in the heavyweight division and he's only 27.

http://www.cagepotato.com/cagepotato-stats-longest-ufc-win-streaks-all-time-and-current/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Was it for his shoulder? I don't know why he didn't shoot for more takedowns. Was JDS's footwork so good that he was able to stay out of range?

At the post-fight conference, Cain admitted he didn't stick to the gameplan and tried to trade blows with JDS to feel him out instead of going for the takedown. They both said they didn't come in at 100% because of their respective knee injuries.

Fight of the Night: Ben Henderson vs. Clay Guida
    Knockout of the Night: Junior dos Santos
    Submission of the Night: Ricardo Lamas

65,000 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 llcolj

lakes1985 wrote: »
    anybody download it? website?

http://www.mma-core.com/ has the fight, also has the pacman fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

llcolj wrote: »
    http://www.mma-core.com/ has the fight, also has the pacman fight
    robbery

fixed that

fixed that

Maybe stick a spoiler tag on there man.

I didnt watch live but heard the result, i'm watching right now and
    It's round 8 and, IMO, Manny is already out of the fight barring the KO that doesnt come. Suck bullsh*t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

anybody know where i can watch these fights now lads? just got to see the main event last night missed all the pre-lims. if anybody has a link to them id appreciate it. if you cant post it here PM me. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Oh_Noes wrote: »

They're a pretty amatuer outfit alright honestly you can't rely on television to bring you MMA, especially in Europe. I spent €6 on a hdmi cable two years ago and I've watched pretty much every UFC card in HD on my tv since.

UFC only had its first event on proper tv tonight so I'd guess it would be at least five years before you can rely on tv to watch it here and that's a conservative estimate.

Where do you stream it from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Where do you stream it from?

You can watch the prelims on Facebook by just 'liking' the UFC page and clicking on the 'Facebook Prelims' option of the left hand side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Spot the nutter that ran into the cage last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I know it's been heard before. I think there's one HW who has potential to beat him and he's not in the UFC at the moment. Any bets of who I think ?

I'll guess you think Josh Barnett. If you do, you're insane IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

JDS can be beaten no doubt about that but it will have to be against a good wrestler or Overeem. They are the only styles that can beat JDS at this moment. Brock could beat him but the problem with Lesnar is his chin is an issue and has shown weakness in the past. Overeem can definitely beat him, he is a better striker than JDS and would definitely test his chin.

People say Barnett can beat JDS, I don't buy that at all. Barnett has to take him to the ground first off and then grapple with him. Grapple with him fair enough but when JDS has Big Nog in his corner and Big Nog has fought Barnett before, you know all the tricks Barnett used Big Nog will be able to spot and have thought them to JDS before the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Secretariat

unknown13 wrote: »
    JDS can be beaten no doubt about that but it will have to be against a good wrestler or Overeem. They are the only styles that can beat JDS at this moment.

I don't buy this view that a good wrestler could beat JDS as there is no evidence to suggest it would be the case.

Carwin is a top class wrestler and he couldn't get near him, what makes you think JDS would have trouble with a good wrestler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Happy for JDS, Cain made a mistake standing with him, still it was a great knockout.

I don't buy this view that a good wrestler could beat JDS as there is no evidence to suggest it would be the case.

Carwin is a top class wrestler and he couldn't get near him, what makes you think JDS would have trouble with a good wrestler?

I'd agree with this, he even had a few tasty takedowns of his own towards the end of that fight, granted Carwin was in bits at that stage. I'd say it's no joke trying to stop Brock's double leg but he'll definitely be a little gun shy after last years beatdown from cain so i doubt he'll be the most confidant he's ever been having seen JDS KO the guy who beat the piss out of him.

In a perfect world id love to see reem v JDS but sure we'll see what happens december 30th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Is everyone forgetting that Cain is probably one of the best wrestlers in the HW division?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Richy06 wrote: »
    Is everyone forgetting that Cain is probably one of the best wrestlers in the HW division?

He may be one of the best, but it did him no good at all cos he stood and traded wit Junior, not the wisest of moves

• Advertisement
Advertisement