Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter Training Kittens

• 26-10-2011 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I found an abandoned kitten on the side of the road about 3 weeks ago, he was well cared for & seemed to be used to people so I brought him home & so far so good apart fom litter training!! He keeps going to the toilet in his bed which is lined with newspapers & won't go anywhere else (good in one way as at least he always goes in the same place & not in various corners of the room!) I have tried taking the newspapers out of his bed & moving them to a corner in the utility room where he sleeps but he still goes in the bed! I have a litter tray for him but each time I put him into it & get him to "dig" he just plays with the litter & scatters it all over the floor!! Any ideas as to how to get him to use it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Keep him confined to one room until he is litter trained, get rid of the bed for now and just use a cardboard box with a towel of blanket in it. He can still smell the urine from where he keeps going on his bed and just understands that that is his peeing place so will continue to go there. Change the type of litter you use to something he's less likely to play with. Where does he poo? Has he ever used the tray for anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pelespook

No he has never the used the tray for anything (except to play in!!). He poos in the newspaper also which lines his bed & is changed a few times a day. Maybe I will try the box & towel & see if that makes any difference! thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

pelespook wrote: »
    No he has never the used the tray for anything (except to play in!!). He poos in the newspaper also which lines his bed & is changed a few times a day. Maybe I will try the box & towel & see if that makes any difference! thanks.

The urine will have soaked into the bed and the smell will be hard to get out, it may smell fine to you but the kitten's sharp nose will still smell it and identify it as his place to toilet. What sort of litter do you already use? Wood pellets? Change to something as sand-like and easy to dig in as possible and if you can squeeze out some of the urine from his bed just to mark it as his pee place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Take away all newspaper. When we first had kittens we had a tray on top of newspaper, they used the paper all the time, refused te litter tray. We took away the paper and put a poo or two into the tray and all was well after that!
    As Zappery said, get rid of the bed, it'll still smell of urine to the kitten.
    Confine the kitten in a room or a crate and keep litter tray away from food and water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Try using earth in his litter trap.

Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement