Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paleo

• 26-10-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Ive been on the paleo diet for a few weeks now and Im getting good results. My only problem is breakfast. Does anyone have any good ideas for breakfast? I usually have either turkey bacon and poached eggs or turkey sausages and poached eggs and fruit but I'm getting sick of this!

I cant find any decent recipes online and I refuse to eat fish first thing in the morning!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Scrambled eggs with mushrooms fried in butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

I just have a chicken breast or pork chop etc (cooked the night before) with some fruit a lot of the time.

Or left overs from last nights dinner also works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

for me leftovers + eggs == breakfast.

you can eat anything for breakfast though, i've had steak and vegetables for breakfast numerous times. i think people make the mistake of thinking oh i have to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, it's 'breakfast' food, you don't, you just have to eat something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Some nice looking recipes here
    http://www.thefoodee.co/keyword/Breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

Some good ideas there!Cheers!

Is regular bacon paleo or non paleo?? Ive read conflicting opinions!

• Advertisement

Some good ideas there!Cheers!

Is regular bacon paleo or non paleo?? Ive read conflicting opinions!

most bacon you get these days, from a supermarket at least is full of additives like dextrose (sugar), nitrates etc. therefore not paleo.
    What you want to get is bacon that's just pig and salt. Some 'craft' butchers still do it, but it's pricey enough. Dunnes of donnybrook stock it if you're near south dublin.
    I use parma ham instead sometimes but it's not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

Cheers I live right beside Donnybrook so Ill check that bacon out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

gavtron wrote: »
    most bacon you get these days, from a supermarket at least is full of additives like dextrose (sugar), nitrates etc. therefore not paleo.
    What you want to get is bacon that's just pig and salt. Some 'craft' butchers still do it, but it's pricey enough. Dunnes of donnybrook stock it if you're near south dublin.

Does it really matter that much? I know you want to avoid all additives, but surely they're not there in such amounts that they'd cause much trouble. Annoying that they are at all of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

For me, most mornings I'll have scrambled eggs with either yellow or red pepper diced up into it. The scrambled eggs are made with 3 eggs and a lump of butter. yum yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

gavtron wrote: »

Its very easy to make your own bacon... millions of idea's on the web. Very cheap too!

• Advertisement

Alopex wrote: »
    Does it really matter that much? I know you want to avoid all additives, but surely they're not there in such amounts that they'd cause much trouble. Annoying that they are at all of course

i'm not sure how much it matters but he asked was it paleo so i gave him my opinion. bacon can range between 80-99% pork depending on where you get it so i guess the higher % stuff wouldn't be that bad.

it's a pain that stuff is so industrialised though you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

I have coconut milk with cashew/almonds and some berries etc... Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

On the subject of the paleo diet I was wondering do people notice any change for the good in their skin condition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭rock27

Along the lines of paleo, anybody here got any good recipies for paleo alternatives to bread?
    Tried making almond bread the other night and the recipie called for way too much salt and it turned out to be disguisting. Going to try it again w/o all the salt and see how it goes.

rock27 wrote: »
    Along the lines of paleo, anybody here got any good recipies for paleo alternatives to bread?
    Tried making almond bread the other night and the recipie called for way too much salt and it turned out to be disguisting. Going to try it again w/o all the salt and see how it goes.

I have posted a recipe for flaxseed bread if you do a search, it does contain parmesan though, not sure if it would work without it or not....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I would be interested in hearing if people have had any positive health results with the paleo diet? Specifically skin condition improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I've defo more energy, allergies and hayfever like symptoms have cleared up,

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

I am only beginning the paleo diet, any simple dishes or advice welcome :D

Irishlad, have a look at the "how to go primal" thread I started, you should get lots of ideas there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

tinner777 wrote: »

mmm cant wait to make that.

Anybody have a good recipe for paleo pizza, preferably with a chicken base!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I have worked with a few clients that had skin issues that completely cleared up by cutting out the wheat, dairy (butter stayed in), sugar and alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MaggieZ

Great paleo bread recipes can be found on againstallgrain blog by Danielle Walker. I've tried her zucchini and sandwich bread, both absolutely delicious and easy to make.

Anyone know a good Paleo app for Android - recipe ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Try using pinterest - I follow a lot of Paleo boards there. Loads of recipe ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

floggg wrote: »
    I just have a chicken breast or pork chop etc (cooked the night before) with some fruit a lot of the time.

Or left overs from last nights dinner also works well.

Following a diet that calls for a pork chop for breakfast is completely wrong in my opinion

mickman wrote: »
    Following a diet that calls for a pork chop for breakfast is completely wrong in my opinion

Surely just a healthier variation of sausage & bacon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What's your reasoning on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Blacktie. wrote: »

You can't eat chops for breakfast! It must be cereals, toast or a fry up. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I love meat ,dont get me wrong but having a pork chop for breakfast just wouldnt sit well with me. Its too much work for the stomach to have to digest red meat at breakfast time.

I have read a lot of various different peoples around the world that live long healthy lives and while most eat some bit of meat, they dont eat a lot so thats why i think we should reduce our meat intake as opposed to having it for breakfast.

Davei141 wrote: »
    You can't eat chops for breakfast! It must be cereals, toast or a fry up. :rolleyes:

dont eat toast or fry ups. only eat wholegrain porridge

I love meat ,dont get me wrong but having a pork chop for breakfast just wouldnt sit well with me. Its too much work for the stomach to have to digest red meat at breakfast time.

I have read a lot of various different peoples around the world that live long healthy lives and while most eat some bit of meat, they dont eat a lot so thats why i think we should reduce our meat intake as opposed to having it for breakfast.

Fair enough. I eat quite a lot of meat and disagree with your statement but each to their own.

Fair enough. I eat quite a lot of meat and disagree with your statement but each to their own.

Fair enough also but the facts dont lie. I have never read about a healthy / vibrant race that lives past 100 regularly in near perfect health that eat a lot of meat

Now its also possible that they dont eat meat as they dont have access to lots of it , would be interesting to see how they fared if they ate a lot of meat as maybe its other factors that enable them to live longer i.e. clean air / water etc

Fair enough also but the facts dont lie.

But interpretations do.

I have never read about a healthy / vibrant race that lives past 100 regularly in near perfect health that eat a lot of meat

Now its also possible that they dont eat meat as they dont have access to lots of it , would be interesting to see how they fared if they ate a lot of meat as maybe its other factors that enable them to live longer i.e. clean air / water etc

I'd put it down to access really. We've only had access to large quantities of meat relatively recently. Especially considering price wise.

I would like to see that but can't see a study like that be conducted anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Fair enough also but the facts dont lie. I have never read about a healthy / vibrant race that lives past 100 regularly in near perfect health that eat a lot of meat

Spain is biggest consumer of meat per capita in EU it also has one of highest life expectancy in EU.

• Advertisement

September1 wrote: »
    Spain is biggest consumer of meat per capita in EU it also has one of highest life expectancy in EU.

interesting . Lots of fruit and veg also and plenty sunshine :-)

interesting . Lots of fruit and veg also and plenty sunshine :-)

They live longer than countries with same sun and way higher vegetables consumption, for example Armenia with 2700 sun hours per year and twice as many vegetables consumed.

They live longer than countries with same sun and way higher vegetables consumption, for example Armenia with 2700 sun hours per year and twice as many vegetables consumed.

health system is better than armenias though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

How does porridge fit in with the paleo diet? I presume the likes of Greek yoghurt is out. I eat porridge with cinnamon, linseed and raisins at the moment and wondering if I could alternate between it and eggs probably without the raisins though.

I've just finished reading Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat and I think I'm converted at least 80% of the time. I might have a sneaky spud or some risotto every so often but not everyday.

Sticking to rigid "Paleo" guidelines is like cutting your nose off to spite the face. It is all about eating actual food not a list of processed ingredients, why people spend time wondering which fresh whole food they must exclude exclusively because a diet tells them ill never know.

• Advertisement

How does porridge fit in with the paleo diet? I presume the likes of Greek yoghurt is out. I eat porridge with cinnamon, linseed and raisins at the moment and wondering if I could alternate between it and eggs probably without the raisins though.

I've just finished reading Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat and I think I'm converted at least 80% of the time. I might have a sneaky spud or some risotto every so often but not everyday.

Porridge fits neither of diet. It is a highly processed food so no really paleo and very high in carbohydrates so against Taubes recommendation as well. Greek yoghurt is fine if it is made from natural ingredients but is also strained which is a processing. It also have less carbs than other regular yoghurt.

Porridge fits neither of diet. It is a highly processed food so no really paleo and very high in carbohydrates so against Taubes recommendation as well. Greek yoghurt is fine if it is made from natural ingredients but is also strained which is a processing. It also have less carbs than other regular yoghurt.

i wouldnt call porridge with 100% Organic Wholegrain Rolled Oats highly processed. They are steamed and lightly toasted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I had the same dilemma and did a bit of research. Now I have blueberry muffins most mornings - made with almond flour. I double the recipe below for every ingredient except the blueberries. Learnt from doing them a few times.

Hope it's ok to put this FB page up- it's a publicly available page https://m.facebook.com/556574954421988/photos/a.556586901087460.1073741829.556574954421988/644303985649084/?type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Porridge fits neither of diet. It is a highly processed food

Interesting to hear what makes it so highly processed, could you explain?

robocode wrote: »
    Interesting to hear what makes it so highly processed, could you explain?

There is a number of processing steps that include mechanical and thermal processing.

There is a number of processing steps that include mechanical and thermal processing.

Which steps exactly?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

robocode wrote: »
    Which steps exactly?

wikipedia wrote:
    Rolled oats are traditionally oat groats that have been de-husked, steamed and then rolled into flat flakes under heavy rollers before being stabilized by being lightly toasted.

So they are not "processed" like frosties are... But there is no way a caveman had access to them. Which just further proves how limiting your food choices based on what cavemen could get is not optimal.. Because rolled oats are savage

conzy wrote: »
    So they are not "processed" like frosties are... But there is no way a caveman had access to them. Which just further proves how limiting your food choices based on what cavemen could get is not optimal.. Because rolled oats are savage

Dems the rules, oat boy!

conzy wrote: »

That's what I thought. I loves the oats. If we limited our choices to things based on what cavemen could get we'd be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Anyone know where I can get some mammoth?

• Advertisement
Advertisement