Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 on hiatus?

• 26-10-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

News reports suggesting U2 may put the music on hold for a while. Anyone heard similar? I know Bono has hinted at spending more time with his younger kids. At the moment he's in Paris checking in on Carla Bruni and the new baby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What is this, 1992?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Oh no. :( U2 on hiatus means less tax reven-oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Heard on the news they are thinking about finishing as a band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Shouldnt they just give up. I mean they have just been releasing the same album for the past 15 years.

YEAH YEAH YEAH!

U2 suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Whatever Bono does is fine we all love him in AH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

sgb wrote: »
    Whatever Bono does is fine we all love him in AH

Yeah he keeps getting better and better. Anyone googled ''Bono'' and ''Carla Bruni''?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Can we merge this with the "news that's not really news" thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

So Bono has a hernia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

And just one last worldwide farewell tour...kerching!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I can only hope so.

"It's a beautiful day......"

:pac:

foxyboxer wrote: »
    And just one last worldwide farewell tour...kerching!!!!

U2 need all the kerchings they can get. All those kids need shoes and clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I'm fairly sure that U2 stopped making music years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Load of nonsense.
    Also, in before Degsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

U2 are a great band, I have always liked their music.

With themselves and Westlife gone my life will be a little emptier.

Kasabian wrote: »
    U2 are a great band, I have always liked their music.

With themselves and Westlife gone my life will be a little emptier.

*shrugs* they've gone to a better place. Bono in Paris checking in on the newborn baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Westlife will be missed, don't know about U2, never liked them,Bono wrecks my head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

"Its the end of the world as we know it!"

oh wait... that was someone else wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

They've been arouns since the 70's and peaked about 25 years ago. They'd do right to call it a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

How will Dave Fanning bore the face off anyone who will listen now?

God, he's so annoying (and knows Bono)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think Bono should go solo and spend as much time in a recording studio as he possibly can, 24/7 for the rest of his life would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

I hope they split up, they suck balls as a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A mole, digging in a hole
    Digging up my soul
    Now going down, excavation
    I and I in the sky
    You make me feel like I can fly
    So high, elevation

;_;

Ruu wrote: »
    A mole, digging in a hole
    Digging up my soul
    Now going down, excavation
    I and I in the sky
    You make me feel like I can fly
    So high, elevation

;_;

Whooooooo-ooooooo Whooooooooo-oooooooo
    Elevation

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

wayfarers wrote: »
    I know Bono has hinted at spending more time with his younger kids. At the moment he's in Paris checking in on Carla Bruni and the new baby.
    Anyone googled ''Bono'' and ''Carla Bruni''?
    Bono in Paris checking in on the newborn baby.

:confused:
    What you really talkin bout willis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

News reports suggesting U2 may put the music on hold for a while. Anyone heard similar? I know Bono has hinted at spending more time with his younger kids. At the moment he's in Paris checking in on Carla Bruni and the new baby.

I hate U2 anyway so I have just one thing to say:

FUCK YOU BONO

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

At the moment he's in Paris checking in on Carla Bruni and the new baby.

In the pic below, what the hell is that monstrosity on Bono's left?...

http://www4.pictures.fp.zimbio.com/Bono+Carla+Bruni+Sarkozy+9th+Nobel+Peace+Prize+E1UoQZ6K-qPl.jpg

Face like a melted brick of lego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm fairly indifferent to U2 as a band, they have some cracking songs and some godawful ones, and lots and lots of ones that sound identical, I'll let Bill Bailey explain:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Not a fan by any means, but I can definitely appreciate their older material. Wouldn't be bothered by them finishing up tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm having a fcuking great week so far and it just keeps getting better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

FUCK YOU BONO

Please don't do that.

He will be devestated to the point of making a new album about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

BONO=TURD !!!THE EDGE = BIGGER TURD !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Wow, people feel the need to state they don't like U2.

Ultimately, who does it really reflect on - U2 or the people posting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

In the pic below, what the hell is that monstrosity on Bono's left?...

http://www4.pictures.fp.zimbio.com/Bono+Carla+Bruni+Sarkozy+9th+Nobel+Peace+Prize+E1UoQZ6K-qPl.jpg

It appears Michael & Liz Taylor got jiggy.

That mental image is actually more disturbing than the photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

dotsman wrote: »

U2 of course .:D..i mean you too !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do you ever think that when The Edge's wife if having sex with, she start's singing The Edge of Glory? I think if I was her I would.

It'd be great for her to be sitting up there bouncing around the place singing "I'm on the Edge, the Edge, the Edge, the Edge, the Edge, the Edge!"

I'd say he'd get a nice little boost out of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hondasam wrote: »

They finished as a band some time in the 80's

oh yes I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Well in Ireland,it's very hard to get away from them, just a Media wankfest as no one dares slag them off.

Wish they'd go away personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I guess Bono wants to do more charity work:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

U2.

Because they're ****e you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

If this gaggle of fvcktards split up then they wont be away touring the world......

If they aren't away touring the world then they'll be at home in Ireland....

If they are at home in Ireland then they will be on TV, in newspapers more often.....

In order to fill these interviews with meaning Bonocúnt will have to talk even more political guff....

Therefore, I hope U2 don't break up. (I feel dirty after saying that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Gee Bag wrote: »
    If this gaggle of fvcktards split up then they wont be away touring the world......

If they aren't away touring the world then they'll be at home in Ireland Tax Haven Land....

If they are at home in Ireland then they will be on TV, in newspapers more often.....

In order to fill these interviews with meaning Bonocúnt will have to talk even more political guff....

Therefore, I hope U2 don't break up. (I feel dirty after saying that)

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

U2 are like The Simpsons. Forgotten but not gone. They should stop making records and just tour every few years.

They've been knocking out, by their own standards, below par records for a good 15 years now. The world doesn't need any more U2 albums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to say I liked a lot of their earlier material and were serious contenders for best live band. If they'd called it a day after Achtung Baby they would have gone out on a high. They might have stretched to All That You Can't Leave Behind and they would be fine, but now I think it's really pushing it. Now they are still producing the odd good song(IMHO magnificent being one), but the ship has largely sailed. Now they're much more a cabaret band creaking on the spot on past glories and fancy stages.

It's one reason I always had a soft spot for the Beatles. Above and beyond their actual output, they quit while they were young, while they were well ahead and on top of the game, leaving people to wonder what if*. As a band they never became a cabaret band churning out the hits on more and more tours with more and more production to cover up the cracks of age. The Stones who I love sadly didn't follow that curve. I reckon if U2 had split in 2000, you'd have a lot less anti U2 rhetoric, especially in Ireland and they would be appreciated a lot more for what they did for music and indeed the view of Ireland abroad and the confidence that instilled in the 80's.

*I don't. I reckon they might have one good album left as a band, if they'd given Harrison more tracks(All things must pass, his first after the split is a cracking album)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well in Ireland,it's very hard to get away from them, just a Media wankfest as no one dares slag them off.

Wish they'd go away personally.

Lots of people slag them off - I'd say 90% of posts on this thread (and in most U2 threads on this site) are them being slagged off.......

I couldnt care less if they finish, love their early stuff, and can listen to their newer stuff but wouldnt be the end of the world for anyone, as with any band splitting up.
    They'd be back in a few years anyhow for a reunion tour, its the thing to do nowadays since revenue from record sales dried up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

U2 pretty much go on hiatus after EVERY album/tour these days. I mean there was a 5 year gap between HtDaAB and NLotH, when you think about it.

What I want to know is, what the hell happened to Songs of Ascent? I was really looking forward to that, why did they shelve it? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

It wont happen they signed another 10 year deal with Live Nation for 3 new albums and 2 tours worth a billion 2 years ago, no way they will go back on it, simple as!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wibbs wrote: »

It's one reason I always had a soft spot for the Beatles. Above and beyond their actual output, they quit while they were young, while they were well ahead and on top of the game, leaving people to wonder what if*. As a band they never became a cabaret band churning out the hits on more and more tours with more and more production to cover up the cracks

Most bands only have 4-5 albums or 10 years in them.... tops. U2 had less :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Bambi wrote: »
    Most bands only have 4-5 albums or 10 years in them.... tops. U2 had less :pac:

O_o
    Did you go to a 360 show? They were epic.

Unless you're implying that U2 only started being good in 1999, they've had a LOT more than 10 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement