Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 on hiatus?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

excellent news. the world could do without them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

O_o
    Did you go to a 360 show? They were epic.

Unless you're implying that U2 only started being good in 1999, they've had a LOT more than 10 years.

I've never been to a U2 gig because they're ****.

Here's Henry with the science:

not sure you can claim the higher moral ground mentioning rollins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Rollins was as real as it got onstage in his day..unlike that phoney hewson.

Unfortunately he stopped screaming and started talking and things went downhill

hewson - rollins?

no competition

both shit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

not sure you can claim the higher moral ground mentioning rollins
    Pretty much and feck all to do with U2. Rollins is an example of a low brow type with just that little extra that climbs above his audience. And that's not saying much. A screamer, ranting against the obvious, lauded by the oblivious, ultimately saying little that others have not said far better. To paraphrase a far better mind than his or mine, his original material isn't good and his good material isn't original. A lacklustre performer and a failed comedian, forever caught in some faux angry adolescent circle jerk. A teenage dirtbag trapped in a middle aged man's head. His likely response to my critique? Fuuuuuck you, maaaan, arrrrrrrgh!!*check out my guns*. Yea Wilde will get back to you Ted. In short, Rollins? My arse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I have to say it's really bad that some people are slagging the **** out of u2.

**** all the naysayers. A Dublin band that conquered the world. We took them for granted and now we slag the **** out of them? They have a fantastic body of work that went a bit ****ty in the last few years. So what? They got old, and lost their muse. But for jaysus sake the 80s and 90s and a bit of the noughties they were fantastic.

LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Hope they don't end up splitting.I should have liked to see them live at least once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I have to say I love the group, their music only. But I am of that generation, music has moved on.

Still from a guy who went to a lot of concerts, U2 have always put on the best show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

In the pic below, what the hell is that monstrosity on Bono's left?...

http://www4.pictures.fp.zimbio.com/Bono+Carla+Bruni+Sarkozy+9th+Nobel+Peace+Prize+E1UoQZ6K-qPl.jpg

Face like a melted brick of lego.

Why, I believe its Michael Jackson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I can't see them splitting up any time soon. I look forward to more albums and concerts although it will be hard to top the 360° Tour in terms of spectacle. Maybe they will do a more stripped down tour next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Hiatus ? Is that not that country ? The one that had the earthquake last year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

There's a feckin huge 20 foot poster outside my window in luminous orange writing saying that they are releasing Achtung Baby again.... makes my eyes bleed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

I should have explained earlier why Bono is a thurd ? ....its because he speaks ****e in some kind of a made up mid Adlantic accent . The Edge is a greater turd for always licking Bonos arse .Wish somebody would bang a pie in Both their smug self satisfyied faces .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'm sitting here watching "from the sky down" & it's just got to new years eve in the point & bono has said "we've got to go away & dream it all up again".

Can't help but think that they should do that again.

The last album is woefull & completely irrelevent. The previous ones are less than good. a couple of decent tracks but mostly dross.

I've listened to NLOTH three times since I got it. It's just a brutal album. They need to totally reinvent not themselves, but their sound.

Even the Achtung Baby re-issue is lazy. It's a great album & one of the best things about the re-issue is the Q magazine cover album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

iMax wrote: »
    The last album is woefull & completely irrelevent. The previous ones are less than good. a couple of decent tracks but mostly dross.

I've listened to NLOTH three times since I got it. It's just a brutal album. They need to totally reinvent not themselves, but their sound.

Even the Achtung Baby re-issue is lazy. It's a great album & one of the best things about the re-issue is the Q magazine cover album.

Listen to it again. I don't think many people appreciated Achtung Baby when they heard it for the first time either.
    The only problem I would have with NLOTH is the inconsistency - some brilliant songs, some weak.

Songs like "No Line on the Horizon", "Magnificent", "Unknown Caller" and "Fez" are brilliant. "I'll go Crazy", "Get on your Boots" and "Breathe" are all excellent live. However, "White as Snow" and "Cedars" are very weak and would have been better off as B-Sides.

Trust me. My impressions of NLOTH were similar to yours the first time I heard it, but after listening to it on repeat for 4 times in one evening I was hooked and would rate it is as their strongest album in 15 years. It's not radio friendly like their last few albums and definitely more like Achtung Baby/Zooropa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

In fairness, they've had a long run, far, far longer than nearly any other band I can think of apart from the Rolling Stones (Strangely enough the Chilli Peppers are the only others I can think of with that longevity :confused:, weird eh?). Anyway, if they finished up now they can be happy with how it went.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

In fairness, they've had a long run, far, far longer than nearly any other band I can think of apart from the Rolling Stones (Strangely enough the Chilli Peppers are the only others I can think of with that longevity :confused:, weird eh?). Anyway, if they finished up now they can be happy with how it went.

And the saps in this country have always been willing to pay top dollar to see them..they've never even thought about doing a free gig either..nothing but a business designed to milk Irish people of thier cash.

And Bono..if you like africa so much..cash in your chips and go over and live there..see how long you last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Do you ever think that when The Edge's wife if having sex with, she start's singing The Edge of Glory? I think if I was her I would.

It'd be great for her to be sitting up there bouncing around the place singing "I'm on the Edge, the Edge, the Edge, the Edge, the Edge, the Edge!"

I'd say he'd get a nice little boost out of it too.

He'd probably still be wearing that ridiculous beany hat..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

Degsy wrote: »
    And the saps in this country have always been willing to pay top dollar to see them..they've never even thought about doing a free gig either..nothing but a business designed to milk Irish people of thier cash.

And Bono..if you like africa so much..cash in your chips and go over and live there..see how long you last.

Jesus Christ, you really are a broken record. And on the point of a free concert, I think I'd prefer pay 100eur. At least then the concert would be filled with (mostly) geniune fans rather then people who just turned up because it was a freebie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

iMax wrote: »
    I'm sitting here watching "from the sky down" & it's just got to new years eve in the point & bono has said "we've got to go away & dream it all up again".

Can't help but think that they should do that again.

I have to say that I think it's the best album they've had since the Achtung/Zooropa era.

Think about this. Can't Leave Behind had 3 really standout singles on it, and I'm talking about the songs people will keep coming back to and will keep requesting: Elevation, Beautiful Day, and Stuck in a Moment. Not saying the rest of the album isn't good, just that those three were by far the ones which shone out the most, and the only three which are consistently still played on tour.

Atomic Bomb was the same. Several great songs, Blinding Lights, Love and Peace, Vertigo and one or two others.

NLotH, on the other hand, has tons of them. There are very few songs on it I don't actually like, and it has many highlights. Breathe is definitely the best. Magnificent, Stand Up Comedy, NLotH itself, Unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender are also absolutely amazing. White as Snow is an amazing song although maybe not very U2 sounding, still a great song, and personally I've never really seen what everyone sees in Crazy Tonight, but people seem to love it so maybe I'm just not hearing it.

NLotH was a great album. I think the people who bash it are doing so purely because they are not set in their ways assuming anything and everything U2 produce will be crap. I honestly know several people who called it sh!te, and on being asked why the only song they could cite was Get On Your Boots. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Atomic Bomb was the same. Several great songs, Blinding Lights, Love and Peace, Vertigo and one or two others.

Vertigo was not, is not and will never, ever be a great, or even a good song.

It's a song about Bono getting lost and calling for help outside a trendy nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

ballsacky wrote: »
    Hope they don't end up splitting.I should have liked to see them live at least once.

If you ever get the chance definitely go and see them live. First concert I ever went to was U2 in Slane. I've been to plenty since and not one has come close to being as epic as that night in Meath was in terms of both the fantastic performance by the band and the amazing atmosphere in among the crowd.

If the end is close for the band then I'd just like to say thanks for all the wonderful memories and great music.

Vertigo was not, is not and will never, ever be a great, or even a good song.

On the album it's not, but have you heard it live in a packed stadium with 70,000 people singing along? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

wayfarers wrote: »
    News reports suggesting U2 may put the music on hold for a while. Anyone heard similar? I know Bono has hinted at spending more time with his younger kids. At the moment he's in Paris checking in on Carla Bruni and the new baby.

thank ****, it could mean more of bono bleating about world poverty, if he paid some ****ing taxes in Ireland we might have more money to donate to poor countries.

at the rate we are going Africa will be having a concerts to raise money for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

irishgeo wrote: »
    thank ****, it could mean more of bono bleating about world poverty, if he paid some ****ing taxes in Ireland we might have more money to donate to poor countries.

at the rate we are going Africa will be having a concerts to raise money for us.

Actually he does pay pay some ****ing taxes in Ireland. Maybe not as much as some people would like but he pays as much as he's required to. In fact I challenge you to find anyone who pays more taxes than they have to in this country. This whole "Bono doesnt pay any taxes" is getting ****ing boring at this stage.

McBauer wrote: »
    Actually he does pay pay some ****ing taxes in Ireland. Maybe not as much as some people would like but he pays as much as he's required to. In fact I challenge you to find anyone who pays more taxes than they have to in this country. This whole "Bono doesnt pay any taxes" is getting ****ing boring at this stage.

i didnt ask him to pay more than is due, but for a man who bleats on about poverty and aska people to donate money, he was not long moving his band management company to holland to avoid tax.

its very patronising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

U2 do 95% of their business outside of Ireland & pay taxes in other countries. I'm sure that they pay a fair whack here too. If anyone commenting on this can honestly say that they wouldn't do the same thing given the chance, then their either liars or fools!!! BTW there are 5 equal members of u2 including the manager so it wasn't just one mans decision....

gerryo777 wrote: »
    U2 do 95% of their business outside of Ireland & pay taxes in other countries. I'm sure that they pay a fair whack here too. If anyone commenting on this can honestly say that they wouldn't do the same thing given the chance, the their either liars or fools!!! BTW there are 5 equal members of u2 including the manager so it wasn't just one mans decision....

the others dont go on about world poverty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

the others dont go on about world poverty.

Who really gives a flying fcuk?!
    Youd swear we're living in poverty and his taxes would make all the difference with the bitching some people do. He can go on a bit but I really cant remember any time its pushed in everyones faces. You have to actually go looking through headlines and then full stories to find it.
    Given the chance Id do the exact same thing. Rather do a bit to actually help instead of paying more to banks & complete corruption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

aska people to donate money

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

Youd swear we're living in poverty and his taxes would make all the difference with the bitching some people do. He can go on a bit but I really cant remember any time its pushed in everyones faces. You have to actually go looking through headlines and then full stories to find it.
    Given the chance Id do the exact same thing. Rather do a bit to actually help instead of paying more to banks & complete corruption

He stopped the concert I went to in Croke Park and bleated on about it. He's a complete tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

He stopped the concert I went to in Croke Park and bleated on about it. He's a complete tosser.

Was that dedicating Walk On to Aung San Suu Kyi or the video for the One campaign that was a recording of Desmond Tutu?
    Wouldnt have called either of those bleating on since combined they took up about 6 minutes of a near 2 hour gig and the video was about 4 minutes of that where he wasnt saying a thing.
    (Im thinking of the last series of gigs there in 09)

some people are living in poverty in this country. if your looking for corruption you should see some of the salaries that the people who run charities in this country are on, i like to see all the money go to good causes etc, not to siphoned off to fund the salary of the head guy/women in the charity.

my point exactly. I dont want to pay money to see a band and be lectured too. Name any other band that does this?
    Was that dedicating Walk On to Aung San Suu Kyi or the video for the One campaign that was a recording of Desmond Tutu?
    Wouldnt have called either of those bleating on since combined they took up about 6 minutes of a near 2 hour gig and the video was about 4 minutes of that where he wasnt saying a thing.

don't be honest the Aung San Suu Kyi thing is not something ordinary Irish citizens could have done anything about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Degsy wrote: »

Degsy, if you want a free U2 gig, I'll buy you a ticket the next time they play here.

As for a fully free gig, if they were to do one, it would be akin to Aslan playing a free gig in St. Stephen's Green. The scum of the Earth (in your eyes) playing to a bunch of people stabbing each other.

I went to a free gig in the Phoenix Pack about 20 years ago. It was filled with scumbags stabbing each other.

100,000 people were there that day to see a bunch of mediocre bands.

I've forgotten how many stabbings I saw. Some were over drugs, some over regional disputes, some over accents, some were muggings and one was just someone being a complete and utter cúnt.
    Do you honestly believe that U2 are going to put on a free gig, pull in more people than the Pope, and make a lame apology when 100 innocent people are stabbed?

The free ticket is always on the table. You've no idea what you're missing.

As for the hiatus; Rock band take a break after 2 and a half year tour. I'm really shocked at that news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

It was in 2005. I'm glad I didn't go for the repeat performance in '09.

For those who say nothing of U2's recent work is good, here's a song from their next album:

Beautiful, really hope it makes the album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

For those who say nothing of U2's recent work is good, here's a song from their next album:

Beautiful, really hope it makes the album
    You make me sick.
    It's quite obvious that you outsourced that video to a foreign country, and that those damned foreigners are being paid money for hosting it.

You should have linked through RTÉ or something.

Terry wrote: »
    You make me sick.
    It's quite obvious that you outsourced that video to a foreign country, and that those damned foreigners are being paid money for hosting it.

You should have linked through RTÉ or something.

Uh oh... You caught me
    In fact, it's not even really Bono and The Edge in it, it's genetically modified evil clones. From Uzbekistan.
    THEY'RE ON TO US, LADS...

• Advertisement
Advertisement