Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Wellies

• 26-10-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

About time i bought a new pair of wellies as the ones I have now are leaking. Just wondering which wellies are the best for all day use and comfortable and have good protection??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I wear Aigle Paracours and like them.
    If your a cold creature the Paracour Iso will help but are more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

mantua wrote: »
    About time i bought a new pair of wellies as the ones I have now are leaking. Just wondering which wellies are the best for all day use and comfortable and have good protection??

I always get baudou wellies. Not too expensive, Fairly light and last a few years easy. One of the friends gets dunlop purifoot (might be the wrong name) but they seem really light and comfortable but they are a bit more expensive. I try to avoid wearing them if at all possible. I stay away from the ones with the steel toe, they weigh a tonne!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

mantua wrote: »

I always buy Purofort. Find them very light and comfortable. Good value for money too. Also, they're wide fitting and you can get them in bigger sizes than most other wellies.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I wear Aigle Paracours and like them.
    If your a cold creature the Paracour Iso will help but are more expensive.

The girlfriend bought a pair of them, €85 if im not mistaken!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Whatever Avonmore sell - about €35 iirc.

Are the dear ones really worth the money? i know they are comfortable but you could pierce them as easy as the cheap ones and back to square one. Or am I wrong on this?

• Advertisement

jay gatsby wrote: »
    Are the dear ones really worth the money? i know they are comfortable but you could pierce them as easy as the cheap ones and back to square one. Or am I wrong on this?

Always wear good boots and sleep in a good bed.............If you're not in one you're in the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Ya i was looking at the dunlop purofort but then i seen these
    http://www.fanevalleystores.com/product/8713197027409/Dunlop-PurofortPlus-Wellingtons-Size-UK12-47
    Not a bad price??

The girlfriend bought a pair of them, €85 if im not mistaken!!

The Paracours are €90, Paracour Vario (Adjustment strap on side) are €105 and Paracour Iso (Neoprene lining) are €140.
    All from Sportsden.ie in Navan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

dunlop purofort, comfortable, light and

most important "good traction" with my mileage that's important :o

however I find they are not as long lasting as before, but I did get a span new pair under warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

snowman707 wrote: »
    dunlop purofort, comfortable, light and

most important "good traction" with my mileage that's important :o

however I find they are not as long lasting as before, but I did get a span new pair under warranty

+1

how long do you get out of a pair / how many pairs a year.
    id use 2 - 2.5 pairs a year.

find the sole goes thin more than anything.
    still they are the most comfortable ones ive had, dont mind wearing them all day, where as other makes i would get out of them the first chance i got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I always find its the heal that cracks first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

dar31 wrote: »
    +1

how long do you get out of a pair / how many pairs a year.
    id use 2 - 2.5 pairs a year.

find the sole goes thin more than anything.
    still they are the most comfortable ones ive had, dont mind wearing them all day, where as other makes i would get out of them the first chance i got

about the same .. 2 pairs per year

I also throw away the supplied insoles and buy a pair of cushioned ones in a sports store, since my accident (mentioned in another thread) any rough going and i'm in agony but i could wear purofort around the clock

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I've worn Nora wellies all my life, find them very comfortable, I suppose I get about a year out of them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

The muck boot range of wells are worth a look, Its the 'ESK' boot for during the week, more rugged and if any thing too warm, can easily wear them all day without fatigue....

And the 'TAY' for Sundays, and the shows, not so much bulk, but still can wear all day......

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

The muck boot range of wells are worth a look, Its the 'ESK' boot for during the week, more rugged and if any thing too warm, can easily wear them all day without fatigue....

And the 'TAY' for Sundays, and the shows, not so much bulk, but still can wear all day......

I normally wear Dunlop Purofort steel toe and the winter version when it's cold. Takes about a week to get used to the winter ones and two weeks to get used to the thin sole when you go back to them in Spring!

How are the Muck Boots at protecting the toes from cow/calf hooves?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Aigle or hunter, yeah they are soft and dont wear them fencing at any cost but they are so comfortable... current pair are hunter E70 and are meant to be better value for money at the moment than aigle at E90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

The Paracours are €90, Paracour Vario (Adjustment strap on side) are €105 and Paracour Iso (Neoprene lining) are €140.
    All from Sportsden.ie in Navan.

FFS, is it any surprise the politicians and people in general want to cut the SFP. Focking madness.:confused:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    FFS, is it any surprise the politicians and people in general want to cut the SFP. Focking madness.:confused:

I have Aigle Paracour rubber boots (€75) 5 years now. I have their waders (€125) 3 years now.
    Some poeple know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

ageed ,my wellies are 9 euro in dunnes ---usually get a year out of them!!

Sorry Tora, i wouldnt be with you on this one.. E90 is nothing if you are 10 hrs a day in them and you wear them out (which i do) and as for people begrudging a farmer wearing a comfortable pair of wellies .. E90 itś tiny in comparison to say a regular job, suits, shirts, shoes .. dry cleaning your suits etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

2 pairs of wellies and a pair of work boots every year, cost between €150-€200 / year, but i spend 90% of my time in them (excluding sleeping)!!

why buy cheap crap when most of your time is spent with them on.

some people would spend x times that on shoes a year

usually keep old pair for farm walks

When I'm not in the rubber boots I wear a pair of Meindl Vakuum leather boots.
    Of a Sat night if I was to go out, the Louboutin's would be dusted off:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

http://www.dunlopboots.com/business/boots/purofort-thermo-safety

only job, bit expensive on this site, but they can be bought for £80 stg,(most i've ever paid is £70) I get about 1.5 to 2 yr's out of a pair, steel toe is the only job for sheep, only down side is they can be a bit on the heavy side but well worth it for the heat in them,
    muck boots are nice and comfortable, the girlfriend complains that after a while they tighten around her leg as she heats up from walking and her leg's swell, just shows how warm they are, what put me off them is i haven't found a pair with steel toe, there is still a hard toe on them none the less,
    i'll buy a pair for shooting when i get the finances, ;)

better price http://www.fanevalleystores.com/product/8713197032441/Dunlop-Purofort-Thermo-Plus-Hevea-UK13-47

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

have a pair of Cofra pu-boots, wide fitting, thick sole & upper, safety toe & really light, all for €52 in Ted johnsons, Naas, only have them 1 month, but really comfortable so far.

A

I always find its the heal that cracks first

Your tracking might be a bit out bogman;):D

Excellent!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

otherwise he might have them on backwards like the tyers on the tractor thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    ageed ,my wellies are 9 euro in dunnes ---usually get a year out of them!!
    i would never buy cheap wellies , i broke my ankle in a pair of cheap wellies and dislocated my knee in another pair, nothing like dunlop purofoot for comfort and reliability, plenty og grip on them... i wear my wellies more than i wear shoes, so need something good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greasenipple

I find Bekina Wellies are a great job, most comfortable I've ever worn! They're made in Belgium.

http://www.bekina.be/en/pu-boots/p/category/agriculture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

Purofort :D Some pair of wellies, light, super comfort and you'd wear them all day. Dunlop Prestige haven even a patch on them
    Defo worth giving the extra few bob for

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

have ordered from this crowd and their pricing and service is excellent (no I don't work for them)

http://www.arcosafety.ie/brand/Dunlop/-16381?BV_SessionID=@@@@0854333067.1319743669@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadfemhidjkicflgcefkdfggdfgm.0

Pair of 20 year-old Hunters for summer (the proper ones that were made in Scotland not the new Czech tat ones) that are mended with a tyre-patch where they lost a fight to barbed wire.

Pair of Dunlop safeties with the steel toecaps for winter (fed up of broken toes after being stepped on by frisky ponies)
    Only complaint with the Dunlops is that the tread pattern is massive and they get weighed down with muck and stones very easily - have to keep stamping every few yards to clean 'em out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

F*ck that, I've only two ankles, two hips and two knees. I intend on holding on to them for as long as possible.

I'm not one for spending big money on clothes, not mad on expensive brands but I never buy cheap footwear. some things are more expensive because the name that's on them, and some because they're actually better, learn to tell the difference and you're onto a winner.

I had to throw out an 8 year old pair of cat boots recently, twas like taking a dog to the vet for the last time.

I have a pair of regualr puroforts and I'm just not loving them though, they were great at first, but now I find they kill my heels after a day on concrete. Much rather wearing boots when it's clean/dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

got a pair of those purofort thermo ones last winter, fair enough they are warm and protect the foot but they are a bit too heavy and clumsy for my liking, strictly a winter only welly, have a normal pair of dunlops for regular wear

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

JohnBoy wrote: »
    F*ck that, I've only two ankles, two hips and two knees. I intend on holding on to them for as long as possible.

I'm not one for spending big money on clothes, not mad on expensive brands but I never buy cheap footwear. some things are more expensive because the name that's on them, and some because they're actually better, learn to tell the difference and you're onto a winner.

I had to throw out an 8 year old pair of cat boots recently, twas like taking a dog to the vet for the last time.

+1
    know how you feel, about the boots, not the dog! :(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I wear DeWalt Safty boots at work. Serious comfort.

Model - Challenger 2

http://www.snickersdirect.co.uk/dewalt-challenger-safety-boots-brown-gore-lined-steel-toes-p-79142.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Dunlop Purofort Plus for me (non safety, red fishy sole). Farm and hunt in them, so they're on morning, noon and night. Not as comfortable or warm as the Muckboot, but still waterproof! Got mine 29th July 2010.

Had two pairs of Muckboot Esks before, never again. They're too fragile, they will split along the seam along the back of the hell, they'll split at the side of the toes. They are comfortable, they are warm, they are heavy, but they ain't tough IMO. I don't think I got a year out of either pair :confused:

When I'm not in the Dunlops (read Summer, indoors in Summer) I've a pair of Meindl boots that I got in TK Maxx for €100 less than the price in The Great Outdoors :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

Have a pair of neoprene lined seals available online or in coop stores in dairygold region I got mine at ploughing match a few years back they are excellent cost about €90

Also for warmer days I have a pair of toggi wellies very soft and comfy €50
    Just my two cent worth

johngalway wrote: »
    When I'm not in the Dunlops (read Summer, indoors in Summer) I've a pair of Meindl boots that I got in TK Maxx for €100 less than the price in The Great Outdoors :D

A man after my own heart!
    If there are better leather boots around than Meindle, I've yet to see them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

A man after my own heart!
    If there are better leather boots around than Meindle, I've yet to see them!
    I have knocked three years out of one pair of meindl boots found them brilliant ,the next pair i got two years out of them . Then last year i got a pair that only lasted nine months ,the shop replaced them no bother but the new pair gave up after six months . Are their standards slipping ? If so what are the next good boots to get ?

moy83 wrote: »
    I have knocked three years out of one pair of meindl boots found them brilliant ,the next pair i got two years out of them . Then last year i got a pair that only lasted nine months ,the shop replaced them no bother but the new pair gave up after six months . Are their standards slipping ? If so what are the next good boots to get ?

Thats interesting.
    I notice over the years some are better than others. I also notice some Meindl boots have Meindl soles and some have Vibram. I dunno if this has anything to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

cat boots,only thing is the mortar eats away at them,wouldnt get a year out of them. have a pair of toggi wellies,comfortable,warm and there neoprene lined so dont sweat (as much) your feet. use them for work and hunting,fencing. had a pair for less than a year and the lining came off the inside,got a another pair for nothing:D the new ones are lasting well bearing in mind im usually standing in concrete all day long a couple days a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thats interesting.
    I notice over the years some are better than others. I also notice some Meindl boots have Meindl soles and some have Vibram. I dunno if this has anything to do with it?
    The sole is where the problem is alright , it came away from the boot on both pairs . Ill check again what make the sole is on the last pair . Apart from that they were all unreal comfortable and didnt let in a drop of water even when in crap up to the laces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Can someone recommend a comfortable fleece lined welly or something similar. Nothing i hate more than cold toes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

lefthooker wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a comfortable fleece lined welly or something similar. Nothing i hate more than cold toes
    or cracked heels:eek:

whelan1 wrote: »
    or cracked heels:eek:

Are you talkin bout a hard dry skin condition or about your wellies:p
    No problems with cracked heels of any description, more often than not I wear out the instep on both soles. Once my toes are warm I'm content

Anybody wearing the rubber rigger boots? Are they any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

is anyone using the bekina steplite wellies

Advertisement