Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retiring my DS Lite and the impact it has on my Pokemon

• 26-10-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. My 2 year old came running into the kitchen a while ago waving my DS Lite (which had a broken hinge before she found it) around by it's screen, the body flapping like a dead bunny carried by it's ears, asking "Daddy, what's wrong with this?".

The answer was "You've waved it round so hard that the cable to the top LCD is now totally fnarked" but I didn't want to have to explain what a ZIF socket was so instead we went off to watch some Regular Show and talk about how lame setting up chairs is.

Any way, the point is my DS Lite is knackered, and while I have a replacement casing for it I don't have a replacement screen knocking around. It's possible the cable is fine but it's not likely, so rather than replace it I'm looking to retire it and move over to my 3DS as my primary PokéPlatform.

Of course, this means breaking the link between my old handset and the cartridge. Anyone know what the consequences of this will be? Specifically :
    • Do I lose my Dreamworld account and the 4 mon (including sleeper) that are currently waiting to come home from it?
    • Similarly, what happens to my access to other promotional updates
    • Do I lose the dreamworld 'mon that I've already downloaded but haven't collected from the forest yet?
    • Does the old Dreamworld account disappear or could I access it again in the future if I restore a pre-retirement save to the cartridge using my NDS Adapter+ and repair the DS lite?
    • Assuming I end up with a new friend code for each game, do I have to re-register friends or does the pal pad stay populated?
    • Do you lose whatever you have up on the GTS?
    • any other consequences worth mentioning?

I guess I could always just memorize the keystrokes needed to access Gamesync / GTS etc blind on the lite and use the 3DS for day-to-day play...?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

If you are keeping the same cartridge for the games, all your data (such as pokemon in the dreamworld) would be carried over, as long as you don't start a new game altogether. I've gone onto the gamesync stuff with both my DS lite and my little brother's DSi no problem. You'd just need to set up the 3DS to connect to the internet like the Lite. (I do assume the 3DS has that anyway, I've never used a 3DS outside of the ones in Gamestop with Street Fighter and that flying game.)

Sorry if I'm missing any points here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

You do get a new Friend Code, since FC's are based on card+console. However, your GTS stuff will be fine.

I've accessed DW from both my DS Lite and my sister's DSi, the only issue is that you have to make an initial connection with the new DS again, so you'll be locked out of DW for 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Thanks chaps. I'll hazard connecting up tonight, see if I lose my Bannette and mamoswine.

Edit :
    OK, so I took the plunge - My dreamer returned along with it's buddies; My pal pad got wiped. Haven't connected to GTS yet. Presume I've lost any battling records but since I've never battled that's not an issue for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Banjo wrote: »
    Thanks chaps. I'll hazard connecting up tonight, see if I lose my Bannette and mamoswine.

Edit :
    OK, so I took the plunge - My dreamer returned along with it's buddies; My pal pad got wiped. Haven't connected to GTS yet. Presume I've lost any battling records but since I've never battled that's not an issue for me :)

Yup, your GBU records would have been gonzo. The fuse in my DSlite went so I gots a DSi and my ranking was reset. I was only still knocking around 1500 anyways cos of "$£&^%(*^£^(* DISCONNECTERS!!!!!!!! god I hate them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

It is possible to forward all wi-fi data to a new console by selecting "Transfer Connection Settings" (or something like that) from the old console's wi-fi settings. This uses DS download play to send all the connection data to the new console, keeping all the Pal Pad and other card+console data in tact. I did that when I upgraded from a Phat DS to a Lite with Pearl version ages ago.

It is also possible to load a back up save of your game onto another cart of the same colour and access your old Dream World account, that's how I've been accessing my Japanese DW since losing my original card over 5 months ago (I bought a replacement second hand game on eBay and loaded on my save).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It is also possible to load a back up save of your game onto another cart of the same colour and access your old Dream World account, that's how I've been accessing my Japanese DW since losing my original card over 5 months ago (I bought a replacement second hand game on eBay and loaded on my save).

I assume that won't work on different region carts, i.e transferring a Japanese Black save to a European Black game. Or will it?

Advertisement