Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Town Works

Options
  • 26-10-2011 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Surprised that there's no thread on this.

Wondering what people's opinions are on the town centre works?
    Personally, I see them as being way, way behind schedule,
    expensive and pretty much ruining the town for the lengthy period that they are ongoing.

I hope that I'm wrong and they improve the town, but I don't see it happening.
    It'll be pretty much as it was before the works started, but the town will have had a lengthy period of hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Each time I walk pass them I have to keep remembering that ''Oh yeah this is the recession, these guys are really good at presenting the illusion that we are still living in the 2005 boom....*looking around for candid camera* I know there is one somewhere.'':cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

At least the social deviants will have somewhere nice to drink and then destroy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

MugMugs wrote: »
    At least the social deviants will have somewhere nice to drink and then destroy. :(

But they got rid of their big toilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jemmyboy

when is it due to be finished anyway???

MugMugs wrote: »

Now they can just pi$$ on the fancy lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Yeah and replaced it with a fountain/toilet even more posh than the old one

colon_bidet_thumb%5B11%5D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

jemmyboy wrote: »
    when is it due to be finished anyway???

It's due to be finished middle of September 2011. :pac:

Someone probably made a typo mistake about the year though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

yeah they meant 2111 -.-

Well in fairness it looks almost done. Not a hell of a lot more left to do. Except sort that fecking road out now and get that hoarding down opposite the Taxi rank. It looks terrible !

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

They seem to enjoy waking everybody up on a Saturday morning there, they never seem to be working at any other time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I am glad to see some money being invested in improving Dundalk town centre. The construction work has been an inconvenience, and has gone on a long time; but I am sure in these current times the men are glad to be working. What you have to remember is that this is keeping men in work. I think the end product will justify the length of time it has taken to complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think they started OK but then found out that the services weren't properly mapped or something, hence why they seemed to take so long to do what should be the simple task of just ripping everything up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Theshamen

I think it only helps the town however i also think the general public and traders should have had a say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

True about the services not being as expected and they also hit sub-strata problems that could not have been foreseen. Anything will be a huge improvement on the eyesore that was there. And, as said, it provided much needed employment and investment.
    I get sickened by begrudgers and nay-sayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

True about the services not being as expected and they also hit sub-strata problems that could not have been foreseen. Anything will be a huge improvement on the eyesore that was there. And, as said, it provided much needed employment and investment.

It's hardly begrudgers and nay-sayers.

The works are months behind, a lot of money is being spent and there's question marks as to whether the whole project is actually more positive than negative for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    It's hardly begrudgers and nay-sayers.

The works are months behind, a lot of money is being spent and there's question marks as to whether the whole project is actually more positive than negative for the town.
    Yes months behind, but that was expected.
    And you are right,the whole project, when it is finished, will have a big inpact on the Town centre.The carbbunkle that was there will be gone,pity they didn't take that flippin Art Centre/TCM office or whatever it is along with the fountain!!

Cool the jets there! Think about it too. Your local A&E could soon be Beaumont :eek: That's a good hour away. Yet we are able to build a nice looking Market Square to be vandalised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's no link in the funding there! :confused:

You might as well say shops closed but we rejuvenated the Market Square or could we not have kept some factories open instead. Join up the dots. :rolleyes:

There's no link in the funding there! :confused:

You might as well say shops closed but we rejuvenated the Market Square or could we not have kept some factories open instead. Join up the dots. :rolleyes:

Which public funded factories are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

The Square officialy opoening tomorrow evening. Think the fountain is going on at 5.30

• Advertisement

7.30 according to this Dunny-

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Louth_County_Council/Latest_News/Dundalk%E2%80%99s_Market_Square_to_shine_brightly_for_Christmas.shortcut.html
    The ‘switch on’ of the Market Square fountain and Christmas lights will take place at 7.30pm, Friday with choir singing to begin from 4pm

Great line-up of live music too,The Long Riders and Beached Whale playing outside the old Dunnes in Park St and the brilliant Sinead McNally and band playing outside McEvoys on CB street to name just a few.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I saw the fountain running for a while last weekend, it looked really well.

The fountain looks great. Its just a shame the work could not be completed on time. The disruption will have a negative effect on retailers in the run up to Christmas.

162407_269712076414356_269711513081079_29323_1109_t.jpg

Bit small and hazy but you can get the general jist of what it will look like from this.
    There is a vid of it around the internet but im too tired to look for it:(

Looks really good. May drop down for a look and a pint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The fountain looks great. Its just a shame the work could not be completed on time. The disruption will have a negative effect on retailers in the run up to Christmas.

Can't see it myself to be honest. Which retailers are you talking about?

I'll be tipping up for a bit this evening as I only live a couple of minutes around the corner.

Insurgent wrote: »

The retailers in the town centre (around the works).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Insurgent wrote: »

The retailers in the town centre (around the works).

Walk by them every day twice and all seem to be doing okay. Nothing stopping people going in to them.

Walk by them every day twice and all seem to be doing okay. Nothing stopping people going in to them.[/QUOTE]

Nothing except the barriers around the town works...
    Well they are nearly finished now, so it will be business as usual.

• Advertisement

Looked brilliant tonight.Real continental feel about it,just a pity that the weather was sh*@e :mad:

Advertisement