Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting carbon steerer tube

• 26-10-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Will a normal hacksaw blade be ok to cut a carbon steerer tube or do you need a special one?Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

that's what i used...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I haven't had to do this so don't know for sure but I think just a very fine hacksaw blade (as in not one with big-jagged teeth) and be sure to cut it straight, measure twice cut once and all that.

If you do a search I'm pretty sure this has come up before although I don't think there's that much to know all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

See this and this.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BDK

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

You'll need good ventilation and a dust mask.

The carbon dust is no good for your lungs.

MiCk B. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Also, Don't cut traight thru the tube. Stop after 2/3 of the tube is cut, then cut the remaing 1/3 from the other side. This helps prevent the fibres splitting. (Source of this info.)

Advertisement