Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbers and Functions MATH10040

Options
  • 26-10-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Im in first year and doing MATH10040. Struggling with it at the moment! :eek: Would anyone be able to recommend a book??? :confused::(:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GabbyG

DANCE111 wrote: »
    Im in first year and doing MATH10040. Struggling with it at the moment! :eek: Would anyone be able to recommend a book??? :confused::(:eek:

Any books dealing with elementary number theory will be fine. But if you want a specific one, I'd recommend Elementary Number Theory by David Burton. It deals with most number theoretic topics that you'll deal or have dealt with in the module e.g. primes, gcd, Fermat's Little Theorem, etc.

Can you tell me what topics you have done? You might want to refer a book dealing with discrete mathematics for stuff like the pigeonhole principle or the Binomial theorem. If you want, I can lend you some of my lecture notes from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Not my area so I can't suggest a book but I do know that the Maths Support Centre can help people struggling with maths modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ZZTopspin

Best book you can get are last year's exams. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

ZZTopspin wrote: »
    Best book you can get are last year's exams. <snip>

Thanks for that! Will definitely be checking them out! :D:D:D

Not my area so I can't suggest a book but I do know that the Maths Support Centre can help people struggling with maths modules.

Thanks for that! I'll have to set up camp there! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

GabbyG wrote: »
    Any books dealing with elementary number theory will be fine. But if you want a specific one, I'd recommend Elementary Number Theory by David Burton. It deals with most number theoretic topics that you'll deal or have dealt with in the module e.g. primes, gcd, Fermat's Little Theorem, etc.

Can you tell me what topics you have done? You might want to refer a book dealing with discrete mathematics for stuff like the pigeonhole principle or the Binomial theorem. If you want, I can lend you some of my lecture notes from last year.

Hi!
    Oh wow dats gr8! I looked up that book and managed to download it for free online so thanks very much for that! :D:D:D

We've done Proof by Contradiction, Induction, Injection/Surjection/Bijection, Binomial; Pigeonhole Principle; GCD; Euclid and Division Algorithms.

Did ye do something similar last year? I know ye had a different lecturer, so maybe some things are different?

If it's no trouble it would be great if I could borrow your notes! :D

Really appreciate your help!!! Thanks very much! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Please reframe from insulting lecturers? You can't be serious..

._. wrote: »

I'm not insulting any lecturer. I'm just saying that there is a different lecturer for the module this year. Hence some of the topics being covered within that module may be different, that's all. No offence at all intended! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

practice,practice,practice,practice,and practice.. 1,ooo,ooo% better than any book..

eaglej13 wrote: »
    practice,practice,practice,practice,and practice.. 1,ooo,ooo% better than any book..

Thanks for that! I do keep rewriting the notes over and over again, but I feel I need to be doing more questions! I'm hoping a book could provide more questions and examples. Thanks for your help!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Hi!
    Oh wow dats gr8! I looked up that book and managed to download it for free online so thanks very much for that! :D:D:D

We've done Proof by Contradiction, Induction, Injection/Surjection/Bijection, Binomial; Pigeonhole Principle; GCD; Euclid and Division Algorithms.

Did ye do something similar last year? I know ye had a different lecturer, so maybe some things are different?

If it's no trouble it would be great if I could borrow your notes! :D

Really appreciate your help!!! Thanks very much! :D

The book should have some exercises related to the topics covered in the module so you'll get a bit of practice from that. Though some of the problems are much harder than what's dealt in the course.

We've done more or less the same topics. I'll add you on facebook then. :)Makes contacting each other more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

._. wrote: »

Deadly serious when the lecturer is Robert Osburn, brilliant lecturer IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I found this module fairly tough last year, but by the time the exam comes, things tend to click a bit more. We had two class tests, which helped prepare us for the final exam. The exams were quite repetitive, but do the problem sheets, and the past exams, and you should be ok.

You don't need to know any big proofs of theorems for the exam, usually just the statement, but you can be asked for small proofs (like prove that (x-y) divides (x^n - y^n)).

Do you not have Robert Osburn this year as a lecturer? He was amazing!

I found this module fairly tough last year, but by the time the exam comes, things tend to click a bit more. We had two class tests, which helped prepare us for the final exam. The exams were quite repetitive, but do the problem sheets, and the past exams, and you should be ok.

You don't need to know any big proofs of theorems for the exam, usually just the statement, but you can be asked for small proofs (like prove that (x-y) divides (x^n - y^n)).

Do you not have Robert Osburn this year as a lecturer? He was amazing!

They have Dr. Kevin Hutchinson this year apparently. Dr. Osburn supposedly wanted to try something new this year so he is teaching Field Theory instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

The Hutch? Oh my.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

Thanks for that! I do keep rewriting the notes over and over again, but I feel I need to be doing more questions! I'm hoping a book could provide more questions and examples. Thanks for your help!!! :D:D:D

agree. by practice i mean actual questions

best of luck

Advertisement