Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding trees

Options
  • 26-10-2011 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

I have two golden conifers in containers. I put some osmocote slow release fertilise in there when planted a few months ago. Shoul I add more to feed them through winter

Also I have a Laburnum vossi and around it have circle of decorative stone
    Should I put some mulch on top of the stone or remove the stone and mulch then replace stone. There is grass growing up through the stone, how can i kill that without harming tree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I tend to be rather mean with fertilizer generally. I certainly would not feed over the winter, if there is a warmish spell it could produce soft growth which could be killed by a subsequent cold spell. Let them go to sleep for the winter!

The stones round the laburnum are themselves mulch, so I am not sure why you would put mulch over them. You can use weedkiller on the weeds but you need to use the right kind, some will affect tree roots. A systemic weeedkiller would be best as it just affect the leaves it lands on and goes into the plant through the leaves. Its getting a bit late in the season now though as they work best on vigorously growing plants, but might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

looksee wrote: »
    I tend to be rather mean with fertilizer generally. I certainly would not feed over the winter, if there is a warmish spell it could produce soft growth which could be killed by a subsequent cold spell. Let them go to sleep for the winter!

The stones round the laburnum are themselves mulch, so I am not sure why you would put mulch over them. You can use weedkiller on the weeds but you need to use the right kind, some will affect tree roots. A systemic weeedkiller would be best as it just affect the leaves it lands on and goes into the plant through the leaves. Its getting a bit late in the season now though as they work best on vigorously growing plants, but might be worth a try.
    But they do not feed it? Should a mulch not feed as well? In spring then what would i put onthe stone, a liquid fertiliser or feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The main purpose of a mulch is not feeding, though some mulches would provide some nutrients. Its just a protective layer that helps keep the the soil moist and suppresses weeds.

Yes, you could put a granular fertiliser on the stones in the spring and it will wash through to the roots, though unless you have really poor soil it should really not need a lot of feeding. Over-feeding could mean you have a tree with lots of leaves and few flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

looksee wrote: »
    The main purpose of a mulch is not feeding, though some mulches would provide some nutrients. Its just a protective layer that helps keep the the soil moist and suppresses weeds.

Yes, you could put a granular fertiliser on the stones in the spring and it will wash through to the roots, though unless you have really poor soil it should really not need a lot of feeding. Over-feeding could mean you have a tree with lots of leaves and few flowers.
    Thanks;)

Advertisement