Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New drink driving limit

• 26-10-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

I heard on news today that learner drivers and anyone pulling a trailer will have a new limit of 20mg down from 100mg
    I have no problem with no drink driving but the past few years garda seem to be bagging people in the morning more and more
    I know a few lads that got a taxi home the night before to be bagged the next
    morning before 10pm and just barely passed.
    If you have a mart on monday morning like I do take it easy sunday evening and
    if you have a good wedding better not drive for 2 days as at 20mg I fear the smell of drink will put you over the limit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

djmc wrote: »
    I heard on news today that learner drivers and anyone pulling a trailer will have a new limit of 20mg down from 100mg
    I have no problem with no drink driving but the past few years garda seem to be bagging people in the morning more and more
    if you have a good wedding better not drive for 2 days as at 20mg I fear the smell of drink will put you over the limit.

Well it's been well advertised and there should be no excuses.. I know of two instances where guys have lost their liscence the next morning, on both occasions they had made pigs of themselves the night before and indeed into the early morning :rolleyes:
    If you have a few sociables and finish at a reasonable hour you'll have no bother by 8am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

look the same people will take the same chances... go to any rural pub any night of the week and theres loads of cars outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

whelan1 wrote: »
    look the same people will take the same chances... go to any rural pub any night of the week and theres loads of cars outside

hmm i would have said that around here the rural pub is almost finished, totally empty during the week anyway

the point i am trying to make is the limit wont stop the people who have been drink driving for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jay_C

Its nt that big a difference, the limit was previously 50mg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

My local has cars everywhere on Sunday night, I pass the same pub Monday morning and the cars are still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

But those people are never bagged,even though the boys in blue know exactly the story.

However a lad that has a few scoops in Sunday night, and gets a taxi home, will get bagged in the morning, even though he's no danger to anybody. :confused:

thats my point ... a friend of mine got a taxi home after a few jars got a call a few hours later that cattle where out, got in his jeep and got bagged at the end of his lane. lost his licence:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The 20mg thing is a disaster for anyone pulling a horsebox or cowbox. I hadn't realised that was in it untill today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Jay_C wrote: »
    Its nt that big a difference, the limit was previously 50mg

The limit was previously 100mg now it is down to 50mg or 20mg if u have a trailer or cow box on tow or if you dont have licence with you.
    If a man had 6 or 7 pints and was home for 12 would he be safe to drive the next morning ie under 20mg
    One pint could put you over 100mg

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

The limit was previously 100mg now it is down to 50mg or 20mg if u have a trailer or cow box on tow or if you dont have licence with you.
    If a man had 6 or 7 pints and was home for 12 would he be safe to drive the next morning ie under 20mg
    One pint could put you over 100mg

The Limit was 80mg for normal drivers and probably lower again for professional drivers,
    It all depends on the person, similar to the way 6 or 7 pints affects one person differently than it affects another, but no way could one pint put you over 100mg.

depends what was in the pint:D a few vodka with rb in a pint glass;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

not sure where all the talk of 100mg is coming from, the old limit was 80mg. I reckon the old limit would allow someone to have approx 2 pints depending on the person. @Whelan1 we all know of those people who have been having four or five pints and driving home, I know a few who have been doing it for years but also know of two that have been caught recently after passing through many checkpoints half cut over the years, so no one immune! 'BeeD1 it doesnt really matter whether its morning or night tbh, if someone is over 80mg they are very likely a danger to others on the road. I think the 20mg is a bit much though, much better if they left things as they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

finbarrk wrote: »
    The 20mg thing is a disaster for anyone pulling a horsebox or cowbox. I hadn't realised that was in it untill today.

Does this 20mg rule also relate to anyone driving a work vehicle? HGV, Van etc ????

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

If it is now goin to be 20 mg why do they not just put a ban on it altogether! I know I wouldnt get much enjoyment out of what would put me over the limit anyway!
    On a normal saturday night I would go to the pub for a few pints and drive home, but if I knew there was something on or if I was planning on havin anymore than 8-10 or more id leave the car behind me! Or if it is not raining I will walk too.
    Its not the way it should be done I know but where I live, you'd be luck to get a taxi in 25 minutes and he'll be lookin for more than the amount of money that I have for spending!
    This will put the final nail into rural ireland pubs coffins!!

weefarmer wrote: »
    On a normal saturday night I would go to the pub for a few pints and drive home, but if I knew there was something on or if I was planning on havin anymore than 8-10 or more id leave the car behind me! Or if it is not raining I will walk too.

Surely this is a TROLL post..
    I'm not sure which is more stupid, you posting it or me for half beleiving it...

Round here the only idiots who get away with that are well in the pocket of the local Garda ;)

Believe it or not its not a troll post, we dont really have local gardai cause the nearest station is over 11 miles away and it os only open during daytime hours, the next station which is 24 hour is about 16-17 miles away on bad roads!

On a normal saturday night I would go to the pub for a few pints and drive home, but if I knew there was something on or if I was planning on havin anymore than 8-10 or more id leave the car behind me!

?????????????

That's crazy!!

If I was planning on having 1 I'd leave the car behind.

Screw the rural publican, lives are far more valuable than rural pubs. Its well proven that if people drink and drive, lives are lost. Many countries have a zero tolerance on drinking and driving and I'd be all in favour of this. Allowing people to have 1 or 2 and then drive is just temptation.

I'm not against drinking, I'm fond of a few myself. But I know someone who was hit by a drunk driver. No person or family should ever have to go through what that person and family went through. All because a stupid fool was too lazy to walk the 2 miles to his local pub for his 4 or 5 pints.

If rural ireland's pubs want to survive, they need to come up with ways of getting people home safely. Its not rocket science and it happens in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

reilig wrote: »
    Does this 20mg rule also relate to anyone driving a work vehicle? HGV, Van etc ????

what is the story on this anyway??

I agree with you there reilig and I know people in the same situation as the people you mentioned!
    I'm not trying to defend drink driving one bit, it should not be done atall but it is the way I have been doing it since I started drinking, if I dont think im able to drive I always leave the car behind me snd stick out the 1.5 mile walk along the coast with the atlantic wind and rain battering me, this is my only other option.
    I know of people going far further afield and drinkin and driving home, day and night! I give out about them saying its stupid, but when I think about it im not 1 bit better! I think its time to get a few together and see the publican if he can offer any transport to us, to keep out custom!

• Advertisement

I agree with you there reilig and I know people in the same situation as the people you mentioned!
    I'm not trying to defend drink driving one bit, it should not be done atall but it is the way I have been doing it since I started drinking, if I dont think im able to drive I always leave the car behind me snd stick out the 1.5 mile walk along the coast with the atlantic wind and rain battering me, this is my only other option.
    I know of people going far further afield and drinkin and driving home, day and night! I give out about them saying its stupid, but when I think about it im not 1 bit better! I think its time to get a few together and see the publican if he can offer any transport to us, to keep out custom!

if your only 1.5 miles from the pub and risk driving after that many pints it's just pure laziness. don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of zero tolerance btw but 8 - 10 pints is taking the p**s.. Accidents happen even on short trips, no way you would see someone out walking in dark clothes as easily after that much drink as you would normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What's the story with a horse and cart?
    I've heard the older people in my area talk about the old days, when the horse would know the way home. All you had to do was make it as far as the cart and you were safe. :D

pakalasa wrote: »
    I've heard the older people in my area talk about the old days, when the horse would know the way home. All you had to do was make it as far as the cart and you were safe. :D

There's a rural pub near to us which has a lot of farmers drinking in it. If you go past it on a sunday morning there is a line of tractors outside it. If you pass that way on a saturday evening, you'll be sure to meet a tractor with a bicycle in the transport box :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Personally i am against this reduction in limit - I see no problem with people going to the pub having a couple and then driving home - as long as the amount consumed is reasonable and the person is not driving in a drunken manner.

There are a few problems that i see with this:
    • This is going to mean more people walking to the pubs - which means you have more people out walking on bad rural roads in the dark with a few pints in them. These people would be far safer in their cars than walking home in the dark. There will be more people killed walking home from the pub in the future
    • You could do everything by the rules - lift to pub, 4 or 5 pints, good nights sleep and still be over the 20mg - for a pro driver that is just nuts - you loose your licence for this??
    • 1 potential downside of this is the mental health issue that it will bring to older people living rurally. For most the pub is now their only social outlet now that the local creamery is closed. The negative impact this will have is not being considered and now doubt its impacts will not be measured. I really think that people are underestimating just how important this is
    • The major decrease in Irish road deaths came about when we got motorways - better roads lead to less road death FACT
    • If they really want to reduce road deaths then they should have a ban on drivers under the age of say 23 from driving after 9pm on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights - a curfew on them. This group are the most prone to accidents that lead to deaths. If this was implemented it would lead to a massive reduction in road deaths - far more than this lower limit will have
    • What about guys driving on drugs?? There are literally thousands of them driving about every weekend high as kites - a far bigger risk to people than an old guy with 4 pints in him driving 4 miles home. Where is the drug testing for these guys?
    • They haven't even tried to think outside the box with this, 1 idea would be that all patrons would have to leave their keys with the pub owner on arrival at pub, when leaving all patrons are breathalyised at old limit, those over don't get their keys, those under do (ok potential liability on pub owner - are we really saying this could not be worked out??)
    I feel this is going to have a huge impact on rural life in Ireland and is going to rip it apart quite frankly. Once we loose the social fabric it will never come back. Before people jump all over this and get up on their high horse i am against people driving around hammered and with little or now control over their vehicles and don't condone it at all. However i am not blinkered enough to think that reducing this limit is an all round win situation for everybody - it is most certainly not that clear cut

tipp_man, if you really think about it the new limit shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience to those old guys who think its still OK to drink and drive, they can still go up to 80mg if willing to risk 3 penalty points. I know loads of guys like that who's only social outlet is the local pub, they nearly all have one thing in common - a son, daughter, wife or neighbour, or even the publican who would be willing to give them a lift home...:confused:

Believe it or not its not a troll post, we dont really have local gardai cause the nearest station is over 11 miles away and it os only open during daytime hours, the next station which is 24 hour is about 16-17 miles away on bad roads!

Ahh I see..
    It's OK to do it because you won't get caught ! :confused:

There are plenty of households in Ireland who probably see things differently after having a loved one killed by someone with the same idiotic ideas as yourself...
    Shame on you and the like of ya..

the funny thing is the new limits wont stop those edjits who go for 4 to 5 pints and hop into the car and drive home, no excuse for it.
    but i think it will result in more drivers getting caught the next morning.
    time to buy a good breathalyzer

My point is that if this is about reducing road deaths then lets address the major problem area - that is drivers under 25 who account for about 40% of the road deaths in this country every year (combining this with the stat that half of all road deaths happen at the weekend surely means this is an idea worth pursuing)

Now there are a few very simple very cost effective ways of bringing down this number
    1. impose a weekend curfew on young drivers as mentioned above
    2. drug testing
    3. make our young drivers better drivers - better training, tougher tests
    I don't want to see people killed on the roads however there are many reasons why we have deaths on our roads - all of the emphasis and energy is focused on reducing the drink limit to a ridiculously low level. God if you even mention that you are against lower the limit you are treated as some kind of idiot (not saying this about here, just in general) The fella that is going to drive hammered is going to drive hammered whether the limit is 20, 50, 80 or 1 million and they are the problem - regardless of the limit

How about we tackle some other areas of road deaths for a change, why is the emphasis so much on the drink limit?

Friend of a friend is a Guard and aparrently they've been instructed to get plenty of the 50mg cases through... 5 points and a wedge of money for the state, doesnt waste their time going to court either..

• Advertisement

contrary to what people think, passing the driving test does give a fair indication of driving ability, to be fair when I was 17 I was an excellent driver when I wanted to be BUT at that age there is no sense of fear and most of us drive too fast, overload cars etc. Its fine to say impose a curfew on a subset of the population that probably accounts for a 6 figure number of people, try policing that, impossible!. Not alone that but lots of people in their early 20's NEED to drive at those hours for work reasons.

I see what your saying overall though, don't focus on one aspect of road safety alone but to be fair I think a lot has been done over the past few years. There is also the issue of some single vehicle accidents being deliberate and some would have you believe the numbers are quite high, well there is nothing that can be done to stop that (at least not from a road safety point of view)

corkcomp wrote: »
    contrary to what people think, passing the driving test does give a fair indication of driving ability, to be fair when I was 17 I was an excellent driver when I wanted to be BUT at that age there is no sense of fear and most of us drive too fast, overload cars etc. Its fine to say impose a curfew on a subset of the population that probably accounts for a 6 figure number of people, try policing that, impossible!. Not alone that but lots of people in their early 20's NEED to drive at those hours for work reasons.

I see what your saying overall though, don't focus on one aspect of road safety alone but to be fair I think a lot has been done over the past few years. There is also the issue of some single vehicle accidents being deliberate and some would have you believe the numbers are quite high, well there is nothing that can be done to stop that (at least not from a road safety point of view)

How many people under say 23 are actually driving to work after 9pm on a weekend night though? Given the state of the country very few - most are lucky to have any kind of job - nevermind 1 at those hours

Also I don't think it is any harder to police than drink driving or speeding or any traffic violation - probably a whole lot easier in fact - set up checkpoints check peoples licence -it is that simple

With regards to being a good driver surely having a sense of fear (danger) and driving at a speed suitable to road and conditions is what makes a good driver?? there is no doubt that most young inexperienced drivers lack these attributes - therefore most can't be classed as good drivers. That is why the driving test needs to do more - such as highlighting (by example) how long the braking distance can be on a wet road. The stats clearly prove that young drivers and not good enough

I agree completly with your point on single vehicle accidents

the worst person in our area ia actually a guard he is one of these that seems to think he is above the law, some one was saying that he was so drunk last week he turned the wrong way out of the pub car park to go home... god help any poor unfortunate that meets him on the way home, he is a total asshole and is what gives the gardai a bad name

Tipp Man wrote: »
    How many people under say 23 are actually driving to work after 9pm on a weekend night though? Given the state of the country very few - most are lucky to have any kind of job - nevermind 1 at those hours

Also I don't think it is any harder to police than drink driving or speeding or any traffic violation - probably a whole lot easier in fact - set up checkpoints check peoples licence -it is that simple

With regards to being a good driver surely having a sense of fear (danger) and driving at a speed suitable to road and conditions is what makes a good driver?? there is no doubt that most young inexperienced drivers lack these attributes - therefore most can't be classed as good drivers. That is why the driving test needs to do more - such as highlighting (by example) how long the braking distance can be on a wet road. The stats clearly prove that young drivers and not good enough

trying to stop a group which amounts to hundreds of thousands of motorists from driving during a specific time window would be practically impossible to police, if you believe otherwise fair enough. Current statistics show the hours of 6 - 8 on weekends as being most dangerous (pm) and also 62% of deaths were people over 25, so I'm just not sure how much real difference something so drastic as a curfew would make.

Would that mean that anyone under 25 (or 23) wouldn't be allowed to draw silage or drive a tractor during those hours? So many other issues also.

Personally, id start off by introducing a mandatory test for anyone who has a full license without having done one and double all penalty points for anyone under 25 caught speeding or any form of dangerous driving, I reckon this approach would make a huge difference in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Not many driving to work but quite a few driving home. A local factory doing shiftwork or the staff in nightclubs spring to mind straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Where can the statistics for road deaths be found?

Tipp_man - Not sure I agree with introducing curfews for young people. What if the stats then showed the next 'most dangerous' age group were older men (I think I heard this before, but not sure if its true, so be interested in seeing the stats)
    Should they be the next to get a weekend curfew? ;)
    Though that would solve the having a few pints and driving home issue in a few cases I guess :D

Corcomp raises a good point as well re lads drawing silage or similiar. Or even a young farmer. If his cattle break out after a certain time on a Saturday night, he has to ring a neighbour (over 25 of course) to get them to take care of it?

I can see why you say it would reduce road deaths, but I think its too extreme...

IMO

• Advertisement

trying to stop a group which amounts to hundreds of thousands of motorists from driving during a specific time window would be practically impossible to police, if you believe otherwise fair enough. Current statistics show the hours of 6 - 8 on weekends as being most dangerous (pm) and also 62% of deaths were people over 25, so I'm just not sure how much real difference something so drastic as a curfew would make.

Would that mean that anyone under 25 (or 23) wouldn't be allowed to draw silage or drive a tractor during those hours? So many other issues also.

Personally, id start off by introducing a mandatory test for anyone who has a full license without having done one and double all penalty points for anyone under 25 caught speeding or any form of dangerous driving, I reckon this approach would make a huge difference in a few years.

I am certain that it could be policed if the will was there that is and i am certain that it would lead to huge reductions in road deaths (the 6-8pm does not refer to weekend days but all days)

How can you say that taking the biggest killers off the roads at the times when most people are killed would not lead to fewer road deaths?? It is bound to

Regarding drawing silage etc - you have several options - either allow under 25's to drive tractors or bring tractors under the ban also. You could do something like under 25's couldn't drive a tractor after 11pm - most silage outfits are finished by 11

There are plenty of options if the will for change is really there

Where can the statistics for road deaths be found?

Tipp_man - Not sure I agree with introducing curfews for young people. What if the stats then showed the next 'most dangerous' age group were older men (I think I heard this before, but not sure if its true, so be interested in seeing the stats)
    Should they be the next to get a weekend curfew? ;)
    Though that would solve the having a few pints and driving home issue in a few cases I guess :D

Corcomp raises a good point as well re lads drawing silage or similiar. Or even a young farmer. If his cattle break out after a certain time on a Saturday night, he has to ring a neighbour (over 25 of course) to get them to take care of it?

I can see why you say it would reduce road deaths, but I think its too extreme...

IMO

Some stats can be found here
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/

John the thing is that under 25's are by far the biggest killers on our road - they account for nearly 40% of all deaths. Once you go over that age then the corralation between age and road deaths falls away dramatically. This is the reason why insurance is so dear for young drivers, males in particular, young drivers are very high risk - an accident waiting to happen nearly - the insurance companies know it so why isn't it reflected on the roads??

I think the 11pm for tractors may address the silage "problem"

It seems that people see this as an extreme solution - it is - but if road deaths is really the agenda and really a problem then you have to take extreme measures

So the question is do we really want to reduce road deaths or do we just want to pay lip service to it and take the easy option which is reducing the drink limit to what i think is extreme?? Is this a money making exercise or is it about lives being saved??

Some stats can be found here
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/

John the thing is that under 25's are by far the biggest killers on our road - they account for nearly 40% of all deaths. Once you go over that age then the corralation between age and road deaths falls away dramatically. This is the reason why insurance is so dear for young drivers, males in particular, young drivers are very high risk - an accident waiting to happen nearly - the insurance companies know it so why isn't it reflected on the roads??

I think the 11pm for tractors may address the silage "problem"

It seems that people see this as an extreme solution - it is - but if road deaths is really the agenda and really a problem then you have to take extreme measures

QUOTE]

are you suggesting we should have a curfew on under 25s, you are having a laugh the country is bad but such draconian measures seem excesive
    should we ban all alcohol, sugar containing products high salt foods smoking - all are linked to deaths where does this norrow minded thinking stop, if you want to tackel the problem educate young drivers not by lecturing them but by getting poeple whos lives were drastically and often tragicallychanged as a result of road accidents to talk to them about their expierances, its a rude awakening that would give them something to think about
    the idea of a curfew is simplistic and ill concieved

flatout11 wrote: »
    are you suggesting we should have a curfew on under 25s, you are having a laugh the country is bad but such draconian measures seem excesive
    should we ban all alcohol, sugar containing products high salt foods smoking - all are linked to deaths where does this norrow minded thinking stop, if you want to tackel the problem educate young drivers not by lecturing them but by getting poeple whos lives were drastically and often tragicallychanged as a result of road accidents to talk to them about their expierances, its a rude awakening that would give them something to think about
    the idea of a curfew is simplistic and ill concieved

I am saying that if we want to be serious about reducing road deaths then a curfew on young drivers is a measure that would have far better results than the current lowering of the drink limit. Why are people so up in arms over this?? The maths show there is a lot of room for improvement there. Is it not something to be discussed??

However if we want an easy money generating action then new drink driving rules will do this - and we can be happy with ourselves and say we are continuing to address road deaths - look at us we have the lowest drink driving limit in Europe - yippee

Regarding educating young drivers i have already stated that the driving test needs to do far more than it is doing - it needs to educate drivers. I would like to see more practical examples which would improve young drivers awareness and ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

A curfew is a ridiculous idea I think. It would never work. I am sure it could be policed but no goverment is going to implement it because they would lose too many votes. There are always going to be deaths on the road anyway and I cant see this new limit making any difference apart from pissing people off. Fatigue is as big of a problem as drink driving IMO. No matter how much you educate young lads on it some of them are still going to fly around the place but a curfew wont change that because the same lads will do it in the daytime anyway. Hard to know what to do. The local guards know the lads that are causing the trouble and there is a few in every village. Maybe they should start by laying down the law to them a bit more rather than doing nothing.

• Advertisement

lot of nonsense being posted tbh, Im not sure what others think but I wouldnt want to live in a country where a 22 year old who might have five years of full license driving cant drive at 10pm on a Friday, madness! Improvements are being made on road safety, however slowly. Also, there are plenty things to educate older drivers about, after all they are still responsible for 62% of accidents in this country.

I am saying that if we want to be serious about reducing road deaths then a curfew on young drivers is a measure that would have far better results than the current lowering of the drink limit. Why are people so up in arms over this?? The maths show there is a lot of room for improvement there. Is it not something to be discussed??

However if we want an easy money generating action then new drink driving rules will do this - and we can be happy with ourselves and say we are continuing to address road deaths - look at us we have the lowest drink driving limit in Europe - yippee

Regarding educating young drivers i have already stated that the driving test needs to do far more than it is doing - it needs to educate drivers. I would like to see more practical examples which would improve young drivers awareness and ability.

but why does a 24 year old not have the right to drive past 11 pm ???

as i said earlier there are a lot of things linked to death are we going to curfew or limit them all

flatout11 wrote: »
    but why does a 24 year old not have the right to drive past 11 pm ???

by that logic what can't a guy of 60 drive home after 3 pints??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!
    BeeDI wrote: »
    However a lad that has a few scoops in Sunday night, and gets a taxi home, will get bagged in the morning, even though he's no danger to anybody. :confused:

depends on the person and the amount drank the night before, and the time they left stopped drinking at.

....other side of the coin, if you crash the car, how long will it take for you to be discovered and an ambulance and fire brigade to get to the scene

pakalasa wrote: »
    :D Id well believe it!
    bbam wrote: »
    Friend of a friend is a Guard and aparrently they've been instructed to get plenty of the 50mg cases through... 5 points and a wedge of money for the state, doesnt waste their time going to court either..
    yes, makes since. there will be a massive crack down at the weekend, and you will hear on the news monday evening, (cut to a report with a savage eye type garda) "we cought X amount of people,........."

John the thing is that under 25's are by far the biggest killers on our road - they account for nearly 40% of all deaths.

I am 25 now, and as a driver, i am much better than I was at 17. BUT the reason im a better driver, is because I have 7 years experience. In my opinon, the most dangerous people on the roads are A:

a minority of young drivers who have cars that are too powerfull for them, have too much confidence in their driving, have never lost control and dont know how to recover, have never seen first hand the carnage involved in a car crash. All these are things that come with esperience.

and B:

Eldery people, that drive at 35-45 mph, and never check their mirrors. (i.e. the drivers that never had to do a test)

I dont the new drink drive limit will have a huge difference. There has been a massive crack down in drink driving over the last 10 years, and most people have stopped. The ones that still do it, will always do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

This is always a contentious issue, its easy for people living in a town or city who have easy access to public transport to judge. But for someone in the country living 5-10 miles away from anywhere its a different story. Their freedom is restricted by the existing law never mind the new one.
    There's going to be a lot more checkpoints and people done from now on. Under the old system the guards knew if they caught someone they were going to ruin their life. The penalty was 2 years off the road minimum. This is why you will regularly see a checkpoint in the day or early evening but rarely at 1am. Now they won't have any hesitation due to the lower penalties for people marginally over.
    A few points (pints?)
    - The time of deciding at 10pm that you'd head off to the pub for a chat are gone.
    - There's more drinking at home which is not a good thing, either socially or for domestic violence and children. Just look in the recycling bins.
    - If people are out they go now for a skinfull because its rare they can arrange to come out at all.
    - The oul fellas have disappeared because they're petrified of being put off the road for the crime of having a few pints. The pub is now inhabited mainly by scumbags from the local estate because they have nothing to lose and are the only ones living close by.
    - There are a lot more people walking roads late at night with no reflective clothes which is why more pedestrians are now being killed.

Living in rural Ireland is a world apart from a city or town. Its becoming a lonely place with all the emigration as well. I don't know if there is a solution, its certainly not this law.

On the issue of some single vehicle crashes being intentional the first person I heard saying that was my late grandmother about 10 years ago. She worked in a pub in the 50's before she was married and I'm sure she saw a lot worse examples of drink driving than we'll ever see.

lot of nonsense being posted tbh, Im not sure what others think but I wouldnt want to live in a country where a 22 year old who might have five years of full license driving cant drive at 10pm on a Friday, madness! Improvements are being made on road safety, however slowly. Also, there are plenty things to educate older drivers about, after all they are still responsible for 62% of accidents in this country.

Corkcomp your post is obviously directed at me so please highlight the nonsense

You say that older drivers are involved in 62% of accidents leading to deaths - and they are - but the amount of drivers in the 25-100 age brakectts is many many many times greater than in the 17-25 age bracket

Obviously i have hit a nerve with people on this topic - that wasn't the intention. The intention was to highlight that there are other factors that can be done which would have a much greater impact on reducing road fatalities than reducing the drink driving limit.

I suppose a few of you on here are also young drivers so this idea would effect you - there is nothing better to get people up in arms than doing something which effects them - i can imagine the drink limit doesn't effect them which is why they are either blazé about it or for it. All i am saying is why are we focussing all the attention on the drink limit? Somebody earlier said this was a draconian measure - well i think the new drink limits are draconian and are the ultimate in nanny stateism

Just so people know - i am not an old driver (32) and never drink and drive (well not since my teens, which ironically highlights my point)

there are other factors that can be done which would have a much greater impact on reducing road fatalities than reducing the drink driving limit.

no one is actually disputing that point, just your particular idea about a curfew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I am saying that if we want to be serious about reducing road deaths then a curfew on young drivers is a measure that would have far better results than the current lowering of the drink limit.

not really. all you are doing is postponing the inevitable. by your logic, learner drivers cause crashes at night because they are not used to driving at night. but when they are old enough to drive at night, we still have the same problem until they get comfortable doing it.

no one is actually disputing that point, just your particular idea about a curfew.

I'm not saying that my idea is the be all and end all of reducing driving deaths - far from it and it is not a suggestion that i made lightly, I have 2 nephews who would be effected by it. However what i am saying is that there is absolutely no need to bring in these new drink limits without first attacking other areas which are a problem - given the number of accidents involving young drivers then this is an area that needs to be tackled if we want to reduce road deaths

Drug testing is another idea that i mentioned - why hasn't that been introduced?

not really. all you are doing is postponing the inevitable. by your logic, learner drivers cause crashes at night because they are not used to driving at night. but when they are old enough to drive at night, we still have the same problem until they get comfortable doing it.

No not at all

Young drivers are most dangerous at weekends when there is a gang of them in car mad excited and going out -usually well drunk, the driver can be sober as a judge but gets over excited and very brave. Lets be honest we have all been there done that. I know i certainly have. When egged on by the drunks overcrowded in the back they will often drive too fast, too bravely and dangerously. Might seem like a big generalisation but if we are honest with ourselves then we will admit that this is happening right across the country every weekend

My issue is not with young drivers driving at night - it is with the scenarios that inevitably happen when young drivers drive at night - especially weekend nights

• Advertisement
Advertisement