Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discus Launch Glider

Options
  • 26-10-2011 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm planning on building a DLG with my daughter. Something like this:

http://www.rcexplorer.se/projects/f3k/f3k.html

Would any of you know where I could source a carbon rod (for the fuselage) like in the link above. Also, would any of you know how those wings were made? I think the ones on that website were from a kit but I'm looking build everything from scratch bar the radio/servos. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hi Kidchameleon:
    I assume you have made a few model RC aircraft already?
    Because that kit shown in your link is a composite half-finished kit, or semi kit, and I would describe it as an advanced build. It certainly looks pre-made, in that the large parts are made, but the little parts of processing here and there remaining to be done are not straightforward for a newcomer, (but easy for an experienced modeller) to model aircraft making.

The build might be more enjoyable if it were to be a full kit instead, particularly if you happen to be starting off a new hobby in model plane construction.
    An example would the Salsa, or Longshot, which are similar in shape, materials, and size but are more ready done kits.

Most people have a hard time believing that on launch we throw our SLGs about as high as a six storey building!
    Here is a proof video clip for those who think I'm exaggerating about the throw!
    How to do DLG! A pair of discus launch Longshot RC gliders flying in Harolds Cross

I agree with your choice of aircraft type. Good call. Composite side arm discus launch gliders (SLGs or DLGs) fly absolutely marvellously well! They can also be used in very many places due to their non threatening qualities from bystanders point of view. :)
    Hand launch gliders are also very suitable for learning to fly on, and yet are still highly enjoyable for the advanced fliers too.

You could also consider something like a "Joy" or similar which is a fibreglass version HLG (javelin style hand launch glider) for learning on. They have mixed materials: fibreglass pod, carbon fibre boom, and balsa wings & tail makes a good trainer composite model.
    That's mainly because the fibreglass front section, while light and strong, is somewhat less brittle than carbon fibre and cracks less when it receives those inevitable bashes during te period while the pilot is passing through the "still thumping it stage".
    But if you can fly already, a more advanced and faster discus launch like your link or a Longshot would definitely be the interesting choice, and can tolerate bigger winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Thanks coolwings some great advice there, ill be sure to keep a build log going.

Advertisement