Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Rapid Storage Technology issue

Options
  • 26-10-2011 7:00pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, new PC has been built and has been going swimmingly well (huge thanks to deconduo for the build assistance). Today I got an SSD in the post to make use of the Intel Rapid Storage Tech (using an SSD as a Cache drive).

Hardware list:
    Asrock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard
    i5 2500K
    8GB Kingston HyperX Ram
    OS (Win 7 Ultimate 64) installed on a Western Digital 500GB drive which was freshly formatted for this build.

Today I then added my new arrival, a Kingston 32 SSD Now.

So, the steps I took based on this guide:

1) flashed to the 1.3 Bios.
    2) set SATA to RAID Mode
    3) was experiencing BSOD's when trying to boot into Windows, and after trying several things, I flashed the BIOS to 1.7 (the latest)
    4) BSOD's stopped and was able to boot into Windows normally
    5) attempt to install Intel RST drivers (10.6) and I get an error message saying "your computer does not meet the minimum requirements"
    6) WTF? :)

Any thoughts or suggestions folks?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Update: I looked at the BIOS again and SATA Mode has been set back to IDE Mode rather than RAID. When I put it to RAID, it started the BSOD's again.

Windows doesn't see the SSD, but BIOS does if that's any further help.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Is there an AHCI mode in Drive Config in the BIOS ?

I install the Intel AHCI 10.6.0.1002 drivers during the Windows setup, and then install the Rapid Storage Technology software after Windows is finished loading up.

(Personally I'd install Windows on the SSD, and let the 500GB get trashed with cache writes. Currently I have a Crucial M4 64GB as primary drive, and old Hitachi 1TB for data.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Shiminay wrote: »
    Update: I looked at the BIOS again and SATA Mode has been set back to IDE Mode rather than RAID. When I put it to RAID, it started the BSOD's again.

Windows doesn't see the SSD, but BIOS does if that's any further help.

Your going to need to sysprep windows if it was installed with the drive in IDE mode. You might even have to reinstall, but I think I sysprep should work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

@Loveless: Might give that a try, pretty sure there's an AHCI mode alright, but I specifically bought this SSD for caching as it's only 32GB and my Steam folder alone is 150GB to say nothing of any other regular software I might have installed and I'm not that arsed with having to manage that ;)

@Cuddlesworth: I've not used sysprep before - does it tell Windows that it's "brand new install" phase again? Is there any data loss associated with it? I've had a look at this page, it doesn't seem so (apart from some basic user preferences)

Advertisement