Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppies and costs...

• 26-10-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know how much it costs to get a young dog neutered, first injections and micro-chipped?

Also how much do the animal charities charge (as donation) for adopting a dog?

thanks for any info!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

A pup should have his first vaccine before you get him so will be due another two, so all depending on your vets charges ....

€30 - €50 - 10 week vaccine
    €30 - €50 - 12 week vaccine
    €20 - €50 - Microchipping
    €150 - €300 - Neuter/spay operation, depends on male or female, and calculated on weight

Charities normally ask for between €80 and €150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It depends some rescues have a set fee some accept a small donation some animals are already spayed/neutered and vaccinated some aren't and some are only half vaccinated. No harm is asking around rescues in your area sometimes it's cheaper to adopt a dog who is already spayed then go and get it done or if you rescue a dog yourself from the dog pound they usually give you a neutering voucher.

Costs vary hugely around the country, lots of rescues have websites now with the adoption fee on it so work checking if rescues in your area have a website.

On average for example, if you got a pup or dog that hadn't had any vax etc. then you are looking at on avereage about €300 by the time the dog is sorted.

Then again it depends microchipping can be done cheaper when there are offers on some rescues set up a day where they offer chipping for a much lower fee. Saying that rescues have to cover their cost so if you can afford it it's best to cover the costs yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Thanks for both replies...I saw a dog i really love but it was e150 donation. I thought that it was a bit much but i think it will come neutered, chipped and first vaccination! so it seems quite good actually!

thanks..ill try adopt the little lad!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thanks for both replies...I saw a dog i really love but it was e150 donation. I thought that it was a bit much but i think it will come neutered, chipped and first vaccination! so it seems quite good actually!

thanks..ill try adopt the little lad!

Hi OP,
    I run a rescue, and I get serious reductions on neutering, vaccinations etc from our vet, reductions a member of the public will never get.
    And at €150 adoption fee per dog, we'll still never break even.
    It'd be a lot to ask an adopter for that sort of money for a dog that had had nothing done with it, but it's actually a serious bargain to pay so little for the a with everything already done. A rescue that carries out all this pre-homing work is also far more likely to be supportive and there for you if you need help with your new dog.
    I hope this helps to clarify why rescues have to ask for a donation of this amount, and wish you all the best with your new dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Thanks for that DBB I wasnt trying to be stingy. I just didnt think they all cost that much. They (you) all do great work and would much rather rehome a rescure dog than buy one off the dodgy puppy farmers!

Ill try post a pic if i am sucessful in adopting him!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that DBB I wasnt trying to be stingy.

I didn't think that at all! I know that on the face of it, €150 might seem a lot, until it's put in context.
    Dogs Trust ask a fee of €80, but they have their own vet and so can keep costs much lower. Otherwise, it's higher for other rescues providing the same services.
    Looking forward to the pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi all,

Does anyone know how much it costs to get a young dog neutered, first injections and micro-chipped?

Also how much do the animal charities charge (as donation) for adopting a dog?

thanks for any info!

the other posters have given you good info on your questions above...

however you also need to consider the following:

Pet Insurance (€200 approx per year)
    Yearly injections (€100 approx per year)
    Kennels for when your away (€18 approx per day)
    Food (€55 for 15kg bag of decent dog food - not supermarket brand)
    Kennel / bedding - for when your out of the house etc (€150 depends on the size of the dog)
    toys (as much or as little as you want)

Best of luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I work with a small rescue & our Adoption fee is €120 - in alot of cases this doesn't even cover partial costs for vet treatment to some of the dogs that come in but we think its fair as all dogs that leave us are fully vaccinated & we would never ever rehome an un-neutured dog so the cost of doing that is included in the adoption fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Like Cocker5 said, think about all those other costs too, and any emergency costs you might have.
    If money is a big issue for you, my advice is that you save up for a while or perhaps don't get a dog.
    A quote that I've heard a few times is 'If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet' and I couldn't agree more. Pets are a luxury, not an entitlement.
    I'm not trying to put you off pet ownership, but I do hope you're being realistic about your financial situation.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

cocker5 wrote: »
    the other posters have given you good info on your questions above...

however you also need to consider the following:

Pet Insurance (€200 approx per year)
    Yearly injections (€100 approx per year)
    Kennels for when your away (€18 approx per day)
    Food (€55 for 15kg bag of decent dog food - not supermarket brand)
    Kennel / bedding - for when your out of the house etc (€150 depends on the size of the dog)
    toys (as much or as little as you want)

Best of luck :D

Just to say if you shop around you can get more competitive prices, we pay:
    Pet insurance 150 per year per dog (not pedigree dogs)
    Yearly shots 40 per dog
    Kennels 13 per day (we only put one dog in kennels)
    Food, Whites (good quality) 41 euro per 15kg bag
    Bedding, I got a big (indoor) bed from Argos that fits 2 medium/large dogs for 55 euro, can't advice on outdoor bedding as they're never left outside
    Toys, I buy from the cheapo shop because anything they get is destroyed in nano seconds so I wouldn't even invest in a Kong because I know it would be a waste of money (but of course some dogs play nice and aren't as destructive!!)
    So do shop around and good luck with the pup!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just to add in about costs. Just added up some costs for my own dog.
    Food- 14c a day for dry food (15kg bag of whites for €39), 20c a day for wet food (1 tray of naturediet roughly €1 lasts 5 days). I add salmon oil to his food and that works out at roughly 7c a day.
    Yearly vaccinations- €40 just for the basic, some kennels won't accept dogs without the kennel cough vaccine so that would be an added cost.
    Boarding- €10 a night where I go.
    Treats and toys- You can go for as little or much as you want here. I buy a big bag of dried tripe on zooplus for €6 that lasts him a few weeks.

This is for a small 6 year old terrier, about 7kg. Touch wood in the 3 and a half years I'v had him he's only ever needed to go to the vets once a year for annual boosters. But if you were to take in an average visit to the vet, first of all it's about €40 for the consult fee (depending on where you live it can be more expensive) before any medication, bloods, x-rays or anything like that. You could easily run up a bill of €200+. And of course the bigger the dog the more expensive it's going to be especially if they need surgery as higher quantities of drugs are needed. Just some food for thought, shocked myself a little when I added up the costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hazygirl

Thanks for that DBB I wasnt trying to be stingy. I just didnt think they all cost that much. They (you) all do great work and would much rather rehome a rescure dog than buy one off the dodgy puppy farmers!

Ill try post a pic if i am sucessful in adopting him!

Good on you for adopting :) wish you many good times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hazygirl

I just realised how lucky I am with the vaccinations. I vaccinate my animals myself and the yearly booster only costs me €10 to €12.50 for the dog!!!!!

The cat however is €32 for some bizarre reason...

hazygirl wrote: »
    I just realised how lucky I am with the vaccinations. I vaccinate my animals myself and the yearly booster only costs me €10 to €12.50 for the dog!!!!!

The cat however is €32 for some bizarre reason...

Vaccinating your pets yourself is always considerably cheaper, but the vaccination card is null and void unless the vaccaintions were administered by a vet, and the vaccination card signed by a vet.
    So, if an owner wants to put their dog in kennels, or attend training classes, where a complete vaccination card is required, the card is not acceptable unless it's been completed by a vet.
    In any case, vaccinating your own pet can be dodgy: a vet carries out some quick checks prior to vaccianting to make sure the dog is healthy enough to be vaccinated (temperature, heart rate, breathing etc). I have come across more than one instance of dogs becoming really ill because they were running a temperature unknown to the owner, and the owner overloaded the immune system by vaccinating the dog on top of an infection. Indeed, I have also known of dogs dying in this exact scenario.
    So, whilst it's tempting to vaccinate them yourself, it's not a road I'd advocate.

Advertisement