Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grave Sinking Query

• 26-10-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Grave Sinking Query

I hope im in the right forum if i am not plaes forgive me

Just Wanted advise on a recent New opened Grave for the first time,

I was up their a few weeks ago at the grave and was quite shocked to see it sunk by 2 feet and i filled in with soil and then i was up today, and it had gone down a bit again

what i wanted to know was what is the best thing to put in the ground to stop the soil going down please

Also just want clarification on this please if a person dies and is buried in a new plot and somebody dies a few weeks later can the person be buried in the same grave as i have been told that it can not happen if its too soon since the last interment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - this forum is specifically and only for people dealing with the pain of bereavement.
    Please contact the caretakers for the cemetary in question.

Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭faolteam

I am Suffering from the depression of losing my father to a Medical Negligence of a Hospital every day its harder and the pain becomes unbearable, could i have done more shgould have stepped in sooner, did i let him down,

And i sit at his grave everyday talking to him, and then that hurts me to see his grave sinking and that is why i asked that question about Grave Sinking,

Things are bad enough but to be locked out of a forum because i asked this here is even sadder ,

Is the whole world against me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

faolteam wrote: »
    I am Suffering from the depression of losing my father to a Medical Negligence of a Hospital every day its harder and the pain becomes unbearable, could i have done more shgould have stepped in sooner, did i let him down,

And i sit at his grave everyday talking to him, and then that hurts me to see his grave sinking and that is why i asked that question about Grave Sinking,

Things are bad enough but to be locked out of a forum because i asked this here is even sadder ,

Is the whole world against me ?

Faolteam,
    I can understand 100% your upset at being locked out of a forum.
    Especially when you are asking a question about something as upsetting as physical changes and sinking of your family's grave plot.
    But there are rules against posting the same thread in multiple sections.
    Also there are rules against against questioning Mod decisions on forum threads....
    You need to take that to the feedback forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1397

Its all laid out clearly in the charter on the sticky thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056182648.
    Dont mean to be a backseat Mod, just sharing the info ;)

But back to your query on the grave settling, how old is the grave?
    As in an earlier thread you posted,
    faolteam wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how i can obtain a a Copy of a Will,
    my father passed away in 1959 and i think the will may have been made a few years before that
    he made it in county cork , Ireland
    you said your Dad died in 1959....
    If the grave is this old, the sinking could be due to numerous reasons.
    Anything from landslip/subsidence, if the plot is on a slope...
    To just settlement of the earth or waterlogging.
    Speak to cemetary caretakers as to what course of action they recommend.
    But it may be a case of adding topsoil if its just ground settlement or something as extreme as adding reinforcing bars to the slope below if the plot is on a slope.(But tif its a case of needing remedial works its likely to be the responsibility of the Cemetary Management)
    Hope this is some use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - I have reopened your original thread adding in the details of your newer thread.

Can I please request that if you have not already done so you review our charter.

banie01- thanks for you assistance however it would be best in the future to use the report post feature.

Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Izzie11

The caretaker would be able to top up the soil on the grave. Also there wouldn't be a problem with having two burials in a new plot even if it was only weeks apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Extra Minty

Izzie11 wrote: »
    The caretaker would be able to top up the soil on the grave. Also there wouldn't be a problem with having two burials in a new plot even if it was only weeks apart

There can be an issue with this. My uncles died 12 weeks apart and couldn't be buried together. The graveyard said they needed longer for the first coffin to subside so they refused to allow my other uncle be placed in the family grave. Their brother died 12 months later and he was also refused the family plot. We sought legal advice and still got nowhere so OP I would check with the graveyard on this question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My Dad got a call a few years back from the priest in his homeplace to say his parent's grave had sunk. He had to go down and sort it. When he raked back the stones and plastic, he saw that the ground had sunk in the shape of a coffin, so it was obvious it was due to the coffin collapsing. As far as I remember, Dad just topped it up himself with loose soil that was in the graveyard.
    Unfortunately Dad's now in the same plot. As his father had died 23 years previously, it was OK to bury him on top of where his Dad was in the plot ie the side that had collapsed , as opposed to on his mother's side of the grave.

Advertisement