Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grave Sinking Query

Options
  • 26-10-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Grave Sinking Query

I hope im in the right forum if i am not plaes forgive me

Just Wanted advise on a recent New opened Grave for the first time,

I was up their a few weeks ago at the grave and was quite shocked to see it sunk by 2 feet and i filled in with soil and then i was up today, and it had gone down a bit again

what i wanted to know was what is the best thing to put in the ground to stop the soil going down please

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

More soil, it takes a while for the ground to settle. Usually whoever runs the graveyard will fill it in eg. the local councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Leave it a year or two to completly settle...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

somebody mentioned Stones or Shackle i think

then someone suggested Moss peat as it absorbes the water ,

it looks awful when u see it like that ,

and if you put plants on top and it sinks it looks worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Leave it a year or two to completly settle...........

if i do there will be a 2 ft hole maybe more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Agree can be very upsetting and unsightly. Backfilling soil after deep digging would usually subside at least 10%.
    Nothing unusual, however level of subsidence can be reduced by compacting backfill with feet/heels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It can be disturbing and some plots sink/settle more than others due to the soil type...
    You can only keep it topped up and levelled off... Usually within a year it will have settled completly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Necron

Home this worked out all right for you and you got the answers you needed here.

Advertisement