Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goyas

Options
  • 26-10-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

is it a decent cafe or a place for people with too much money to spend? just saw the place in The apprentice on TV3. is it open past 6. have been there a few times and did not thing it was up to much.

hard to find a cafe after this hour. javas is good but can barely hold more than twenty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I like the food there, have been for lunch a lot of times, found it reasonable and very tasty, never been there in the evening. Their cakes are extortionate prices though, to order for occasions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I don't understand reputation of this place at all. Ordered cake there some time ago and it was a joke! Bad taste -bad look and expensive. I would make a better one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

softmee wrote: »
    I don't understand reputation of this place at all. Ordered cake there some time ago and it was a joke! Bad taste -bad look and expensive. I would make a better one myself.
    I have had a number of birthday cakes made there and they were absolutely lovely. My daughter's wedding cake was also made there and was perfection itself. I love the cafe... and all the food is freshly made so maybe that is why it is a little more expensive.

barefoot wrote: »
    I have had a number of birthday cakes made there and they were absolutely lovely. My daughter's wedding cake was also made there and was perfection itself. I love the cafe... and all the food is freshly made so maybe that is why it is a little more expensive.

-I am glad you were happy, but I was very disappointed, so my experience was different unfortunately (my friend ordered there once too and to her surprise there was a sponge and cream separate in the box when she opened it and it was just few minutes before somebodies birthday, but maybe she bought basic cheapest version or something, no idea)

-I am glad you were happy, but I was very disappointed, so my experience was different unfortunately (my friend ordered there once too and to her surprise there was a sponge and cream separate in the box when she opened it and it was just few minutes before somebodies birthday, but maybe she bought basic cheapest version or something, no idea)
    Did you or your friend say anything to the owner about your experience....I'm sure she would like to know if you have had a bad experience....

• Advertisement

Did you or your friend say anything to the owner about your experience....I'm sure she would like to know if you have had a bad experience....

No, I never do that -I just don't buy anymore if I didn't like it.

I have actually heard a lot of bad things about their occasion cakes, much more than I've heard good things. But I can't fault their savoury foods in there at all.

No, I never do that -I just don't buy anymore if I didn't like it.
    Now I would be the opposite to you...if I pay above average for a product and it's not what I expected it to be... I will always let the supplier know. Glad to see Goyas are now on sale in Joyce's of Knocknacarra....saves a trip into town...lol

Now I would be the opposite to you...if I pay above average for a product and it's not what I expected it to be... I will always let the supplier know. Glad to see Goyas are now on sale in Joyce's of Knocknacarra....saves a trip into town...lol

I dont like making fuss about small things and there wasn't anything to complain about -I just didn't like it. Should I go and say : " you know what, your cake was just average..nothing special"... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

are you sure it was not a diy pavlova you got - they don't put the cream on because it would make the base a little soggy and messy, - they are fabulous by the way, and their chocolate layer cake is really good - had some only last week. they are very popular here and always pretty packed especially on weekends and lunchtime. But if you don't fancy that, try the french bakery on mainguard street - le petite delice - very reasonable and their cakes are original and amazing.

• Advertisement

are you sure it was not a diy pavlova you got - they don't put the cream on because it would make the base a little soggy and messy, - they are fabulous by the way, and their chocolate layer cake is really good - had some only last week. they are very popular here and always pretty packed especially on weekends and lunchtime. But if you don't fancy that, try the french bakery on mainguard street - le petite delice - very reasonable and their cakes are original and amazing.

It was my friend who got it separate in the box, so I don't know (I would know it was pavlova ;) ) Maybe I am just used to different style of cakes from were I come from, don't know. They are usually less sweet -more moisture and with more flavour.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I dont like making fuss about small things

...really ?

just poking fun softmee :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Goyas is all about the Triple chocolate mouse cake (or is it double chocolate) ? It makes a trip there well worth the price and enduring annoying mammies yapping too loudly beside you or queuing up for ages because its packed in there etc.
    Try that and you'll be happy OP.

Goyas is all about the Triple chocolate mouse cake (or is it double chocolate) ? It makes a trip there well worth the price and enduring annoying mammies yapping too loudly beside you or queuing up for ages because its packed in there etc.

I am on diet anyway so no cakes for me until Christmas. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I am on diet anyway so no cakes for me until Christmas. :pac:

Aww me too.... but I like to dream!And when I do that cake always features . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Am i right in thinking they supply the small cakes, pastries etc to McCambridges? If so then they arent great. We got the lemon meringue and another a while back and the meringue was brutal, tasteless, shag all lemon and overly dry, remember the other(might have been a brownie) was poor too. Petit Delice do a better version of both i've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

My sister had her wedding cake made there and it was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I dont like making fuss about small things and there wasn't anything to complain about -I just didn't like it. Should I go and say : " you know what, your cake was just average..nothing special"... ;)

Yes, the more feedback a business gets the more likely they are to take some action.

As far as I know they're the most expensive hot chocolate (€4.50 I think) and it's nothing special

dinneenp wrote: »
    Yes, the more feedback a business gets the more likely they are to take some action.

As far as I know they're the most expensive hot chocolate (€4.50 I think) and it's nothing special

never had the HC - but I find them reasonable enough for what you get. Have you ever walked in the door of that place sweetie pies - I walked in there and sat to have a cupcake and a tea - when I heard the price I picked myself up from the floor, excused myself and walked straight back out - pretty colours on the cupcakes but come'on talk about fleecing people with a swirl of icing - no thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I had my wedding cake made by Emer, it was effing phenomenal. It's rare that you would need to fight for a scrap of your own wedding cake!

• Advertisement

if I did need a specialty cake I would definitely pick Goya's as first choice - yes, its the chocolate layer mousse cake which is devine.

That's expensive for a hot chocolate! :eek: I love their chicken pie, mmm, nice to get pastry that seems to be reheated well instead of fecked into a microwave on high for too long. If I needed a special cake though I'd go to Gourmet Tart, oh their cakes are sooooo goooooood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Haven't been there in awhile but their deserts and things were always phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I once waited 45 minutes there for a cup of coffee. Blacklisted.

That said, wife regularly picks up goya's a joyces when visiting parents and says it goes down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I had my wedding cake made by Emer, it was effing phenomenal. It's rare that you would need to fight for a scrap of your own wedding cake!

Same as that. Service was very good, Emer is really nice and the cakes were superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Crazy that you had to wait that long, what sort of staff doesn't realise someone is sitting waiting.

Whats even crazier is that you actually waited that length for the coffee, I would be gone never to darken their door again (and post it on boards.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

newkie wrote: »
    I once waited 45 minutes there for a cup of coffee

:confused: Would you not have made noise after 10 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mybabydoll

Goyas Reputation lives up to the taste.... I'm a lover of Goyas cakes everytime i order one for a birthday, anniversary etc always perfect,Emer & all her staff are very professional in what they do, i also know them through work in hotels that hold Weddings and reviews on the presentation & taste are always great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have one on order for a birthday tomorrow. Hope it lives up to the reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Getting back to the OPs question, no they're not open after 6pm AFAIK.

Griffiins is sometimes open til 7pm. Other than that, I think Javas is the only option.

Advertisement