Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Jazz Festival 2011

Options
  • 26-10-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Whos around for the Jazz this weekend? :)

http://guinnessjazzfestival.com/

Flea from the Chili Peppers is playing friday night there. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

great line up

Randy Brecker already sold out and Bobby Watson too

Highly recommend Marius Neset at Triskel on Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Me!!!

Should be a great weekend. Loads of my friends are going to Jazzsteppa in Cyprus Avenue tonight, unfortunately I can't make it to Cork til tomorrow (I live near Limerick) so I'm gonna miss it boooo:(

Have tickets for Hypnotic Brass Ensemble in the Pav for Friday night tho, and a friends big band is playing Saturday afternoon so gonna go see them as well. Anybody have any recommendations for Saturday night?

Roll on the Jazz:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The gig tmr night is sold out with weeks - start of august apparently.

On my to do list will be "Kings Go Forth" in Bodega. Booty Band in Woodford. Papa Zitas in River Lee Hotel and then just drift for the rest of it. As tradition, I will have to go to The Metropole as well. Have done every year for at least the last 10, so why change it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Any good free gigs recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

KittyKat wrote: »
    Flea from the Chili Peppers is playing friday night there. :)

Why have I only heard about this now?:(

Anyway, heading to Octoberfest tomorrow night, and Saturday I might just take a walk around the different pubs and listen out for what sounds good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

try the metropole on Sat or Sun afternoon as admission is free

The Mary Stokes Band gigs at Counihans are legendary and free - Friday night, Sat afternoon and night, Sun afternoon and night

The night time gigs get very crowded but the place is really hoppin

See below :)
    gimmick wrote: »
    The gig tmr night is sold out with weeks - start of august apparently.

On my to do list will be "Kings Go Forth" in Bodega. Booty Band in Woodford. Papa Zitas in River Lee Hotel and then just drift for the rest of it. As tradition, I will have to go to The Metropole as well. Have done every year for at least the last 10, so why change it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

anyone think there a lot less advertising and publicity this year? Reckon Guinness are spending their budget on Arthurs day instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Was walking along Mc Street last night and the Guinness Van was there unloading all the promotional stuff. So I'd say we'll see it out and about today. But I noticed the shop windows in the city are a combo of Halloween and Jazz decorations where as it isn't usually the same weekend and the windows will be Jazzy one weekend and spooky the next.

I'll be at the Everyman for all three sessions - most excited about Kyle Eastwood, Randy Brecker and I love Richard Galliano. May pop along to the Met Sunday afternoon but I love the buzz on Mc Street.

Happy Jazzing it to you all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Why have I only heard about this now?:(

Aw i'm sorry, should have put this thread up ages ago. Unfortunatley i couldnt get tickets for it myself. :(

Think we should have a cork beers for the Jazz? :D What do ye think? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

If you are a real jazz fan, good free gigs are few and far between at the Cork Festival these days:(

Depends on what your definition of "real" Jazz is I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

In the immortal words of Louis Armstrong .. "Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Always found the Saturday gig upstairs in The Pavillion to be brilliant, 1pm - 4pm.

By the way, I'm staying in The Met Sunday night. Does anyone know if, as a guest of the hotel, do I automatically get access to the jazz (i.e. The Festival Club) or do you have to buy a seperate ticket at €25?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Who was playing in Crane Lane last night? Did a surprise artist turn up? Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Will be heading with my girlfriend to the Metropole later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gbee wrote: »
    Who was playing in Crane Lane last night? Did a surprise artist turn up? Ta.

Kyle Eastwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

evilivor wrote: »
    Kyle Eastwood.

I left before he arrived so then, nats.

Any idea how much it will be to get into the Imperial tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Any idea how much it will be to get into the Imperial tonight?

It's free.

http://www.flynnhotels.com/sites/flynnhotels.com/files/u3/jazzprogramme_imperialhotel20111013.jpg

• Advertisement

Savage,

Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Does anyone know who the secret free gig was last night at 8 in Cyprus Avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sigur Ros string music

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishlurker

Anyone see 'marius neset + golden explosion' at the triskel?
    They shredded...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Balmed Out wrote: »
    anyone think there a lot less advertising and publicity this year? Reckon Guinness are spending their budget on Arthurs day instead.

Ever notice though when they do advertise,that they never mention that you can't get a pint of Heineken there??

All guinness products only.....Feckin joke....

Be a long time before you see Me,,or any of My friends at that jazz thing anymore. Free gigs or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Ever notice though when they do advertise,that they never mention that you can't get a pint of Heineken there??

Be a long time before you see Me,,or any of My friends at that jazz thing anymore. Free gigs or not!

You could just go to normal pubs that have jazz on. They sell all their normal beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

SexyGuy wrote: »

It is called sponsorship. Guinness pay towards the bands. There would be no jazz festival without guinness. As someone else said... You want a non guinness product, go to one of the hundreds of other pubs. God... Some people really will complain about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Does anyone know who the secret free gig was last night at 8 in Cyprus Avenue?
    It was Amiina.
    They were mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can somebody please confirm for me whether Ghostpoet or Fish Go Deep were playing in the Pavillion on Sunday night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

PaulieC wrote: »
    Can somebody please confirm for me whether Ghostpoet or Fish Go Deep were playing in the Pavillion on Sunday night?

Wasn't at it, but I think Ghostpoet was an early gig, doors were open at 8pm. Then FishGoDeep was on afterwards at 11pm AFAIK!!

On a different note, did anybody catch SoulJahz in Electric Sunday night? They were epic, really good band. Don't really like the clientele or the stuck up door policy in Electric (just my opinion), but put up with it to see the band....

Hope everyone had a happy Jazz

Advertisement