Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing dry food

• 26-10-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

How long could it be stored for once opened? And what is the best airtight container to store it in?

Started using Whites at the start of the summer. Got a 15kg bag but split it halfway with a relative as I'v just 1 small dog. This relative no longer wants to use whites and it doesn't really pay off to buy a few 2kg bags and I'd like to stick with it because it seems to suit him and it's good value. But the problem is that the 7.5kg is nearly gone and it's lasted about 4 and a half months, so a 15kg bag would last between 8 and 9 months. Is that too long to expect it to stay fresh?
    As it is the bag I bought in June was just kept in the original bag in the house, I just made sure it was well scrunched down, that seems to have kept, still smells and looks good and the dog is eating it ok. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I bought this from Argos. It's on wheels, easy to fill and keeps the food fresh. It comes in 12kg or 20kg when I bought they only had the 12kg one. Just note that the 12kg one would only hold about 8kg of food I use which is Burns MiniBites, larger one isn't much dearer.

114-8707453SPA76UC956665M.jpg

Bigger one

Oh and no smell from it, I had a fabric one before and you could smell the food through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I bought this from Argos. It's on wheels, easy to fill and keeps the food fresh. It comes in 12kg or 20kg when I bought they only had the 12kg one. Just note that the 12kg one would only hold about 8kg of food I use which is Burns MiniBites, larger one isn't much dearer.

114-8707453SPA76UC956665M.jpg

Bigger one

Oh and no smell from it, I had a fabric one before and you could smell the food through it.

Thats cool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just note that the 12kg one would only hold about 8kg of food I use which is Burns MiniBites

GAH! I was planning on getting one of these but seeing mixed reviews online - some say the 12kg size will hold 15kg of food some say it doesn't hold 10kg! Now I don't know which one to get!! I wanted it to save space so didn't want to get the bigger one if I didn't need to.... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

The bigger one is only 6 euro dearer, Its just taller I think.
    Well minibites is probably the smallest kibble size you can get, all depends on the size of the actual food I guess.
    I get 15kg of dog food but it comes in 2x7.5kg bags. The 7.5kg almost fills the storage bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Maxizoo have a black round one for 15euro. Holds 15kg no problem. The ones mentioned above are pricey, paying for looks really. As for how long the food will last, just my opinion but 9 months seems very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

axle108 wrote: »
    Maxizoo have a black round one for 15euro. Holds 15kg no problem. The ones mentioned above are pricey, paying for looks really. As for how long the food will last, just my opinion but 9 months seems very long.
    TBH I was looking for one a few weeks ago and saw this and DIDN'T buy it cos I thought it was tacky looking!

Ended up buying a very plain air-tight container in a local pound shop type store for a tenner. With 3 dogs, keeping the food fresh isn't an issue! I mainly wanted it to contain the smell of the food and keep the house fresh!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Don't really care what it looks like, not too fussy on looks as it'l be shoved in the corner of the spare room. The one in argos seems alright but is a bit more expensive than what I was looking for. Was hoping for something <€20. So long as it keeps the food fresh that's the main thing.

Anyone any more thoughts on if it'd keep for ~9 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, A 2kg bag lasts me over a month and I store it in plastic thing designed to store breakfast cereal, so pretty much as designed for the job as you can get. There doesn't really seem to be a huge deterioration in the food but there is actually a big difference in the colour and seemingly the density (??) of the food which really becomes obvious when you compare it to the next new bag. Personally I wouldn't go for a bigger bag because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

maxi zoo have 15kg bins. They were giving them free with 15kg bags of select gold a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Equipet are selling 15kg bins like the one pictured above for €20. I bought one on Tuesday. A lot handier than lifting the bag in and out when I need it. A 15kg bag only lasts me 2 weeks though so no idea how long the food will keep for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just to update I decided to chance the 12kg size from Argos since it's a better fit where I want to put it and also because I had a €25 voucher ;) Anyhoos I got 13kg into it no probs with a bit of space left -a mix of large breed Happy Dog Supreme and JWB cereal free - the JWB only comes in a 10kg bag so it'll fit no probs and if I need to switch back to HD it comes in a 12kg bag so both will fit. NB Woodies have 20% of the 20kg size so it works out €2 cheaper than Argos. Also they have a voucher in their magazine - €5 off if you spend €50 on pet stuff :)

Advertisement