Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on dog's strange breathing?

• 26-10-2011 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I think I'm just being an over cautious pet parent here but any advice appreciated. Our 3 year old lab/collie cross is breathing kind of strangely for the last few hours, we've gotten advice from two vet nurses in the family who said to make an appointment in the morning for her because it sounds like a chest infection, but we're still looking for any other opinions right now, because listening to her is awful :(

She's been inside all day with me, except for 20 mins where she went out to our back garden to do her business, nothing unusual happened out there. We then took her to run around some fields nearby, she was her normal happy self but I thought she was snuffling a bit which she doesn't normally do, thought it was out of excitement first because she's a very excitable vocal dog! Anyways she had a great run around, happy out, came home, ate her dry food, drank some water, and then we noticed that what we thought were snuffles or something was actually very deep shaky breaths. I've been watching her for the last hour, she's in grand humour herself, but she takes a series of shallow breaths, very shallow, almost stopping sometimes, followed by 1 to 5 big intakes of breath. She might go 1 or 10 minutes between these big breaths and then breathes kind of normally too for patches.

The vet nurses said keep her warm for the night with plenty water then take her in the morning as it sounds like a chest infection and might need antibiotics, it's just the thoughts of listening to her breathing like that all night are cruel, but as we live in a rural area it'd be hard to track down an emergency small animal vet at this time of night, so if she was ok until morning we'd just try to relax for now, the vet nurses didn't seem overly worried.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Acoshla wrote: »
    so if she was ok until morning we'd just try to relax for now, the vet nurses didn't seem overly worried
    Id give it 24hrs anyway if it was me. It could be a mild chest infection that with rest will run its course. If shes the same or worse bring her to the vet. Are her vaccs up to date? Are her eyes runny? Coughing? Lethargic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

TBH you have been well advised so far and I really would have nothing to add , it is good that your dog is eating and in good spirits - always a good sign.
    Really nothing more you can do bar getting to the vet first thing in the morning.
    Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Thanks guys, she's chilling on the couch now and the weird breaths have eased off a bit. Her eyes are fine, definitely not lethargic, vaccs all up to date, will just have to relax myself a bit, she seems fine with it! Wandered out for a drink of water in her room a few minutes ago and hopped back up on the couch :) Thanks.

Advertisement