Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanquish

• 26-10-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Any fans on here? I've been playing this for the last fun days, and I've gotta say, I'm having a blast! Ferocious amount of action! Only problem is that it's so short. Views?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The general consensus is that it's awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Ah, excellent stuff. Every other time I post about a game I think it worth playing, the gerenal consensus is that it's muck! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Big fan out it , only complaint is its too short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I have it sitting at home, unplayed, since last Christmas. And I really enjoyed the demo, I have to squeeze it in at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I might get flack for this, but I thought it was better than Gears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Said it a while back, it's the game that Gears wishes it was. Absolutely brilliant, much faster paced, with a better and more reliable cover mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Said it a while back, it's the game that Gears wishes it was. Absolutely brilliant, much faster paced, with a better and more reliable cover mechanism.

Unfortunately, from a sales point of view, Gears is the game that Vanquish wishes it was:( Great game though. Only played through the once but thoroughly enjoyed it. In terms of game length it suited me fine as I don't have the time to be spending completing mamoth games anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

The challenges are good for adding play time, though the last one is a nightmare to complete....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gears and Vanquish are different types of game. I prefer Vanquish, but it doesn't impede upon the hefty, weighty combat of gears.

Vanquish is certainty the third person shooter of this gen (by a distance) but I don't agree it renders Gears redundant. Its like saying Bulletstorm makes Half Life seem outdated.

And at least Gears can spin an interesting space marine yarn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Loved Vanquish, and I actually thought it was the perfect length. Instead of stretching it out to the point of it becoming tired, it felt tight and never boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Somehow I really liked it, fast paced and fun, but then I just never played it again (Hadn't even finished it)...

Might have to start it up again soon, but can't see it happening with all the games coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,713 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's not on PC. That's what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    It's not on PC. That's what I think.
    Tough life being a member of that Master Race, isn't it? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Got it and completed and traded it in again, brilliant game and cool story line too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Judging by the comments, you have me sold. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That_Guy wrote: »
    Judging by the comments, you have me sold. :)

For the price it goes for now it's an absolute steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I must be in the minority that didn't like this then... Don't know what it was, but i never enjoyed it. At all. Didn't finish it, traded it in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only thing that doesn't do the game any favours is the art direction and story. Hopelessly generic, and not interesting enough to be satire.

A few extra setpieces that really stretched the mechanics would have been nice too. The 360 degree train fight is epic.

bugs wrote: »
    The challenges are good for adding play time, though the last one is a nightmare to complete....

They are next on my hitlist. HAd a quick go (ok a fair lengthed go) the other night and really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for that kinda stuff.
    ghostchant wrote: »
    Loved Vanquish, and I actually thought it was the perfect length. Instead of stretching it out to the point of it becoming tired, it felt tight and never boring.

I agree and dissagree with you there, dude. True that if it had have been strecthed much further, it would have become quite repetitive. But, on the other hand, it was damn short! Lol
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For the price it goes for now it's an absolute steal.

Yip, only cost me 14quid (I think). Certainly worth it at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,713 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gizmo wrote: »
    Tough life being a member of that Master Race, isn't it? :p
    I reckon I could get a 360 emulator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Great game alright. Loved it when I played it. Really nailed the 3rd person shooter genre. Great fast paced fun and just the right length. The challenges were very tough though. Never spent too much time on them to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    I reckon I could get a 360 emulator.
    In a couple of years maybe.

Or you could like, go out and get one of the consoles and enjoy all the games you're missing out on? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm never too sure on the etiquette of digging up an old thread. How old is too old? Does this game deserve another thread?

Anyway I've been playing this game the past week and having a good time with it. At first I wasn't too sure about it but once I got past the first few missions it really started to get going. The fast pace to the game is really refreshing as most third-person shooters have a much slower pace, i.e. the great hulking muscle men of Gears.

The weapons are nice and varied, while the leveling up of the weapons is neat. The story seems completely uninspired, except for the opening cinematic with the attack on San Francisco. That had some unexpectedly gory moments. Another small complaint I'd have is the length of the game. The mission clock has me at about 3hrs 40mins and I'm already on the final act. It isn't too much of an issue though as I'm playing it through PS+ so I'm not looking for value for money.

It is a very good game and anyone that has access to it on PS+ should download it and give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah picked it up last Friday on PS+
    It's pretty good. Haven't played much I'm just on Act 3 and have been killed a few times by an ENORMOUS robot. It does seem quite frenetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Yeah picked it up last Friday on PS+
    It's pretty good. Haven't played much I'm just on Act 3 and have been killed a few times by an ENORMOUS robot. It does seem quite frenetic.

I kept getting killed by the first big robot that you encounter in the game and I worried that this wasn't the game for me. The robot had one particular attack that was a one-hit kill. Once I got past it thought I was flying. Haven't come across a tough boss since.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Really enjoyed this when I played it. Pretty intense action.
    Sliiiiiiiiiide....hot hot hot hot... sliiiiiiide etc. etc. shooting all the while, great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm never too sure on the etiquette of digging up an old thread. How old is too old? Does this game deserve another thread?

Anyway I've been playing this game the past week and having a good time with it. At first I wasn't too sure about it but once I got past the first few missions it really started to get going. The fast pace to the game is really refreshing as most third-person shooters have a much slower pace, i.e. the great hulking muscle men of Gears.

The weapons are nice and varied, while the leveling up of the weapons is neat. The story seems completely uninspired, except for the opening cinematic with the attack on San Francisco. That had some unexpectedly gory moments. Another small complaint I'd have is the length of the game. The mission clock has me at about 3hrs 40mins and I'm already on the final act. It isn't too much of an issue though as I'm playing it through PS+ so I'm not looking for value for money.

It is a very good game and anyone that has access to it on PS+ should download it and give it a try.
    The mission clock resets (to the last checkpoint time) every time you die, and doesn't count cut-scenes -- that's why it looks so low.

If the game's not long enough (becuse, let's be honest, it's quite short) or tough enough for you, give the challenge missions a shot. They can be quite difficult. There is one that I keep coming back to every few months, and keep getting my arse kicked in.

Advertisement