Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Election Day Thread *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If McGuinness becomes president, does anyone find it funny that he will be the commander-in-chief of the Irish Army, an army he rejected when he was in the IRA.

Funny, nope! Then again there were similar concerns about DeV and the Army and the Guards in particular in 32, indeed they had far more weight.

This is just a symbolic role but McGuinness inspecting the Army would seem rather odd!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

1. Sean Gallagher.

Yes to Judges Pay Referendum.

NO to investigative referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Leprechaun is going to walk this I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Montjeu

Sin é.

Hopefully the electorate used their brains today when voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If McGuinness becomes president, does anyone find it funny that he will be the commander-in-chief of the Irish Army, an army he rejected when he was in the IRA.

Don't worry, he wont be anywhere near the big boys . . . .

Higgins (or Gallagher) 1st & 2nd.
    David Norris 3rd.
    Gaybriel Mitchell 4th
    Mc IRA Guinness 5th
    Dana Rosemary Scallion 6th
    Mary Airbrush Davis 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

BOOM !! That's it folk's. Best of luck to everyone. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Sorry if this has been asked already but does anyone know when the moratorium ends? Will we see some exit poll results tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

LordSutch wrote: »
    Don't worry, he wont be anywhere near the big boys . . . .

Higgins (or Gallagher) 1st & 2nd.
    David Norris 3rd.
    Gaybriel Mitchell 4th
    Mc IRA Guinness 5th
    Dana Rosemary Scallion 6th
    Mary Airbrush Davis 7th.
    5th eh? Bit optimistic on your part, I think he will do considerably better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This is how I see the result going tomorrow.

1. Higgins

2. MMG

3.Norris

4. Gallagher

5. Mitchell

6. Dana

7. Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    5th eh? Bit optimistic on your part, I think he will do considerably better than that.

He will def do better than 5th - 3rd or 4th more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Ironé wrote: »
    He will def do better than 5th - 3rd or 4th more like it.
    2nd in First pref & 3rd overall i would reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I don't live in Ireland but I would've voted Higgins and only Higgins. There's no one else on that list I'd but a number beside.

I'm gutted though....all of my family members living in Ireland voted Martin McGuinness....i'm genuinely disillusioned with my own family tonight. Horrible feeling. I thought we grew out of that Republican bollocks years ago within my family but evidently not. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

1&2 and thats all she wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I thought we grew out of that Republican bollocks years ago :(

Well, we do live in a Republic.. :eek:

Big difference between nationalism and republicanism.. the two are used far too interchangeably in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

If MMG comes in 2nd or 3rd as a result of Gallaghers unmasking in the media, I'd imagine that SF would view that as quite a victory and be very happy with that unexpected result. I think even Martin would have been surprised if he actually won - dum dum duuuuummmm - but he could!....stranger things have happened, and the poles have not been exactly consistent at times.

Personally, I like Higgins - don't care what he looks like or how old he is, he's a decent guy, and is still firing on all cylinders....and there's something kinda charming about him too and quick witted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I have always had great respect for MDH and his stance on human rights, these was greatly increased the day he called Micheal Graham a wanker, on a live debate on Newstalk over Israel and Palestine.

Big difference between nationalism and republicanism.. the two are used far too interchangeably in Ireland.

Irelands a bit strange like that, Republicanism which should be a noble term has been hijacked, same in the US, Nationalism which is a dirty word elsewhere is seen as the middle ground here! In a way they are in reverse here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

1. Higgins
    2. McGuinness
    3. Norris

Yes to judges, no to other yolk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If Michael D wins will we all get three wishes? And what will you wish for? I assume his pot of gold is his pensions…

Mine:-
    1. World Peace,
    2. Ending Global Poverty,
    3. Donncha O'Callaghan and Sonny Bill Williams in a threesome! Werk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Monarchy's all the rage nowadays.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    If Michael D wins will we all get three wishes? And what will you wish for? I assume his pot of gold is his pensions…

Mine:-
    1. World Peace,
    2. Ending Global Poverty,
    3. Donncha O'Callaghan and Sonny Bill Williams in a threesome! Werk!

Don't forget the toilet roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

lmaopml wrote: »
    If MMG comes in 2nd or 3rd as a result of Gallaghers unmasking in the media, I'd imagine that SF would view that as quite a victory and be very happy with that unexpected result. I think even Martin would have been surprised if he actually won - dum dum duuuuummmm - but he could!....stranger things have happened, and the poles have not been exactly consistent at times.

Well indeed, if McGuinness came in with 18, 19, or 20% that would be a massive boost for Sinn Fain and the reputation of the IRAs campaign. Thankfully most of us abhor what they did & what thay stand for, so lets hope that the old Provo comes well down the list . . . .

Gallagher
    Higgins
    Norris
    Mitchell

Kasabian wrote: »
    I have always had great respect for MDH and his stance on human rights, these was greatly increased the day he called Micheal Graham a wanker, on a live debate on Newstalk over Israel and Palestine.

Best laugh of the campaign. A few eejits thought that was a negative for Higgins, shouting downing a Tea Partyite is fine by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Gallagher got my only preference. The only guy even vaguely suited to the job.

But the actually important ballots were the referenda. Voted no to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Interview with Gallagher on RTE1 atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

tolosenc wrote: »
    Gallagher got my only preference. The only guy even vaguely suited to the job.

Why is he suited to the job?

He has no political credentials, he is a failed businessman who when things went belly up, got handed a job by his FF cronies on the board of FAS, he has numerous dodgy dealings with FF party fundings & he has shown himself on live television in front of an entire nation to be a complete liar & untrustworthy character.

He has absolutely nothing to offer to the role of President.

Even Dana would be a better candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Interview with Gallagher on RTE1 atm.

B..b...b...bertie Gallagher

I read the man's autobiography - more truth-bending than the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well indeed, if McGuinness came in with 18, 19, or 20% that would be a massive boost for Sinn Fain and the reputation of the IRAs campaign. Thankfully most of us abhor what they did & what thay stand for, so lets hope that the old Provo comes well down the list . . . .

Gallagher
    Higgins
    Norris
    Mitchell

Hmm, I don't know if it would be a 'nod' to the IRA Campaign from the voters - generally thinking, I would imagine people voted for him on the basis of his involvement in the peace process, and the latter years. There HAD to be a McGuinness in history somewhere in order for a peace process to take place...and of course a Hume, Paisley etc.

So, yep, I think you are right that people do abhor what happened - the violent history, the injustice, the bloodshed etc. - and are ultimately glad that it's gone political. I voted Dana second strategically as I know she won't win, and moved MMG down the list because he actually stood a chance, and also because although I don't 'love' or 'hate' him, I don't want to see him as President. I do recognise that there always had to be a MMG for the status quo to come about though...which is why he's doing ok.

So, even if he did 'win' - I don't think it necessarily means that people are supporting 'violent' republicanism, rather peaceful progress. Still don't want to see him win though, it's too early for that...SF will be happy he 'placed' I would imagine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

You know exactly what I mean when I say that. Not getting into this pointless discussion with you.

• Advertisement

Does Gallagher have any other opinion on politics other than its benefits to his own back-pocket?

Advertisement