Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Election Day Thread *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    You know exactly what I mean when I say that. Not getting into this pointless discussion with you.
    He has having a bit of a laugh, I dont think he was being obtuse or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    He has having a bit of a laugh, I dont think he was being obtuse or anything?

IRA/SinnFéin-esque republicanism isn't a laughing matter, it's a serious problem that needs to be ironed out of society.

IRA/SinnFéin-esque republicanism isn't a laughing matter, it's a serious problem that needs to be ironed out of society.
    There are shinners under your bed, better look out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I often wonder if I had been born a Nationalist when the civil rights movement was going on in Derry/ NI would I have joined the IRA, I probably would have.

I often wonder if I had been born as a black person in South Africa would I have joined the ANC, I probably would have.

Ditto with the black Panthers in Southern States of America.

If I had been born in Palestine would I have joined Hamas, probably.

If I was of age would I have joined the British Army in 1939, I probably would have.

Someone has to stand up and fight back.

" Give us your planes and we will give you our baskets".

There are shinners under your bed, better look out!

Sounds like a good name for a horror film, "The Shinning".

I'm more worried about the Shinners in this thread though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Why is the name 'Martin McGuinness' written in a different style of text where you select your vote OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I reckon MMG will come in on about 17% - a bit more than sinn feins support and they'll be happy with that. Higgins will walk it with Mitchell doing surprisingly well is my prediction.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Why is the name 'Martin McGuinness' written in a different style of text where you select your vote OP?

You mean italics? It's because you've already voted 'McGuinness' on this poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The person you voted for in the poll is shown in italics when you log in & view it.

Sounds like a good name for a horror film, "The Shinning".

I'm more worried about the Shinners in this thread though.
    Worried about the likes of me? I wouldn't, I'm sure we can be best pals.

• Advertisement

No, I actually haven't voted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Ah.... so that explains why there's so many votes.

And here I thought 115 people were short-sighted morons who liked buzzwords that made them nod their head. :rolleyes:

Kasabian wrote: »
    I often wonder if I had been born a Nationalist when the civil rights movement was going on in Derry/ NI would I have joined the IRA, I probably would have.

I often wonder if I had been born as a black person in South Africa would I have joined the ANC, I probably would have.

Ditto with the black Panthers in Southern States of America.

If I had been born in Palestine would I have joined Hamas, probably.

If I was of age would I have joined the British Army in 1939, I probably would have.

Someone has to stand up and fight back.

" Give us your planes and we will give you our baskets".

The very fact that McGuinness was only 21 y/o when he became second-in-command of the IRA shows that the IRA during the 70's was just a gang of impressionable young hooligans going around causing untold mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That just tells you you voted for him, your choice is in italics. It looks the same for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Why is he suited to the job?

He has no political credentials, he is a failed businessman who when things went belly up, got handed a job by his FF cronies on the board of FAS, he has numerous dodgy dealings with FF party fundings & he has shown himself on live television in front of an entire nation to be a complete liar & untrustworthy character.

He has absolutely nothing to offer to the role of President.

Even Dana would be a better candidate.

And I was just reaching for the thanks button :P

The very fact that McGuinness was only 21 y/o when he became second-in-command of the IRA shows that the IRA during the 70's was just a gang of impressionable young hooligans going around causing untold mayhem.
    Rubbish, many IRA commanders and officers in the war of independence were around that age... Tom Barry for example.

Worried about the likes of me? I wouldn't, I'm sure we can be best pals.

Wait ... you're a Shinner?
    No, I actually haven't voted yet?
    Dartz wrote: »
    Ah.... so that explains why there's so many votes.

And here I thought 115 people were short-sighted morons who liked buzzwords that made them nod their head. :rolleyes:

Wolf Tone hacked the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Yeah the shooting of innocent people on the streets of your home city would make you impressionable and make you grow up fast.

Wolf Tone hacked the poll.

And so the excuses begin . . .

The person you voted for in the poll is shown in italics when you log in & view it.
    Morlar wrote: »
    That just tells you you voted for him, your choice is in italics. It looks the same for me :)

*Grumbles under his breath*
    DOH!
    Grrrrrr, fcukin secret poll in me arse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

*Grumbles under his breath*
    DOH!
    Grrrrrr, fcukin secret poll in me arse!

HAHA... Ghandee's a closet shinner!!

Rubbish, many IRA commanders and officers in the war of independence were around that age... Tom Barry for example.

Since when was Tom Barry second-in-command of the IRA in his early 20's?

Jesus you people are tiresome.

He was in charge of the West Cork Brigade... MMG was 2nd in command of the Derry one, so they say...

Lots of IRA commanders were very young men.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If McGuinness, Adams & the other 'old hats' were to leave the party, and the younger candidates were to continue to work for SF; would your view on the party change?

I only ask because most of the political parties in Ireland have bloodied pasts to some degree. At what point does the past become history.. and at what stage are people willing to move on from that history?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah the shooting of innocent people on the streets of your home city would make you impressionable and make you grow up fast.

It's why McGuinness himself picks 1974 as a cut off point for his IRA membership.

Pre 74 is generally understandable, post 74 and the Blueshirt/Conor Cruiser agenda ;), less palatable down here!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    You know exactly what I mean when I say that. Not getting into this pointless discussion with you.

Meant to say the same - it was clear what you meant! Some people just can't help getting on a soap box.

There is some testimony that suggests that McGuinness may have been carrying around a machine gun on the day of Bloody Sunday and may have helped instigate the paratroopers' reprisal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

There is some testimony that suggests that McGuinness may have been carrying around a machine gun on the day of Bloody Sunday and may have helped instigate the paratroopers' reprisal.
    Sinn Fein have done well to write that out of history. Along with the Londonderry exodus.

• Advertisement

Bloody Sunday is MMGs fault heard it all now! Bloody hell.

Advertisement