Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Election Day Thread *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Morlar wrote: »
    Your own link contradicts your claims on this :

The report adds: "Before the soldiers of Support Company went into the Bogside he was probably armed with a Thompson sub-machine gun, and though it is possible that he fired this weapon, there is insufficient evidence to make any finding on this, save that we are sure that he did not engage in any activity that provided any of the soldiers with any justification for opening fire."

Read my opinions on Saville a couple of posts back. I don't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Robert Ballagh is a guest on VB.. he would have made a good president.

InB4TheWho?
    He supports MMG, SF were considering nominating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Someone on one of the election posts suggested the young were voting for MDH and older voting for SG....

Would it not be the other way around ?. I felt the young voters who had chosen sg did so because of his celebrity status and were probably oblivious to his dealings with the unsavoury...

Would the young voters not consider MDH past his sell by date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Why would you kill British Soldiers?

I was referring to if I was at the battle of the bogside, i'd shoot every mother ****ing one on of them or die trying. What a stupid question to ask a Republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Show me where in that article it says
    he may have helped instigate the paratroopers' reprisal.
    <----your own words btw.

Sorry but when people talk b*****ks like yourself they have to be challenged on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

shano1888 wrote: »
    I always had my suspicions that he was responsible for this (as well as, amongst other things, ruining christmas and causing the economic meltdown) and thank you for confirming them.

He also introduced gingerism to Befast in the late 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I was referring to if I was at the battle of the bogside, i'd shoot every mother ****ing one on of them or die trying. What a stupid question to ask a Republican.
    So you would have joined the PIRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

SafeSurfer wrote: »

What your googling has failed to take into account is that I know what I am capable of as a person.

If you mean would have I fought to the death for my civil rights as a Catholic in Derry, Hell Ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Just after reading that actually after Googling his name + 'President' =p

I've met him a few times through a relation of mine. He's a seriously nice and intelligent man.

• Advertisement

If you mean would have I fought to the death for my civil rights as a Catholic in Derry, Hell Ya!!
    Oh, so you would have been a civil rights marcher and not a PIRA member. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Read my opinions on Saville a couple of posts back. I don't believe it.

It doesn't really matter, it's agreed the PIRA had very little presence at it and was largely peaceful.
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Higgins vs. Ballagh would have been interesting. Liberals like me would have a choice and the attacks from the Mitchellite's would have been hilarious.
    brownswiss wrote: »
    Someone on one of the election posts suggested the young were voting for MDH and older voting for SG....

Would it not be the other way around ?. I felt the young voters who had chosen sg did so because of his celebrity status and were probably oblivious to his dealings with the unsavoury...

Would the young voters not consider MDH past his sell by date ?

I think myself the more politically aware, the more middle ground, will vote Higgins, Gallagher's vote was mostly the FG floating vote and elements of the young, X Factor, Celtic Cub generation.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Kasabian wrote: »
    What your googling has failed to take into account is that I know what I am capable of as a person.

I don't doubt you do. I am just making the point that statistically people were much, much more likely not to join the IRA than to join the IRA. The same with all the other situations you referred to, including the British army in 1939.

I am not making a judgement. The fact is that those who actually took up arms were in a tiny minority, albeit with wider tacit support.

p.s "capable of as a person" ?

As opposed to what?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If the situation is ever reversed keith AFC and it might be some day,would you fight against an Irish army and its paramilitary friends killing and plundering your area ?

dav3 wrote: »
    Show me where in that article it says <----your own words btw.

Sorry but when people talk b*****ks like yourself they have to be challenged on it.

He was carrying a machine gun, in Derry, and there are suspicions overs his activity before the massacre on the day. That's enough for me. As I've said I don't believe (beyond the bridge-building maneuver of the Saville Report) that the British Paratroopers, a far more professional force, just decided to attack a crowd of protesters without reason.

Besides this, McGuinness was second-in-command of the IRA during a time in which the IRA carried out many cold blooded murders and massacres of innocent people. Anyone who thinks that McGuinness didn't have a say in the carrying out of these crimes (as second-in-command of the IRA) is a downright naive fool.

He was carrying a machine gun, in Derry, and

You sure about that? That's the first I've heard of it! Even the Paratroopers never said a machine gun, it would have been caught on film or audio!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

realies wrote: »
    If the situation is ever reversed keith AFC and it might be some day,would you fight against an Irish army and its paramilitary friends killing and plundering your area ?
    Only if Loyalist Freedom Fighter's can sell drug's to line their own arse pocket's at the same time !!

He was carrying a machine gun

Pure bollix but regardless, Would you carry a fart to a **** fight?

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I don't doubt you do. I am just making the point that statistically people were much, much more likely not to join the IRA than to join the IRA. The same with all the other situations you referred to, including the British army in 1939.

I am not making a judgement. The fact is that those who actually took up arms were in a tiny minority, albeit with wider tacit support.

p.s "capable of as a person" ?

As opposed to what?

A soulless psychopath :P

Oh, so you would have been a civil rights marcher and not a PIRA member. Ok.

Both and proud.

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    That would cause chaos but no. I would tell them to leave and then see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Like lots of people did, as any self respecting person would when there people are under attack and the goverement over them are the ones attacking and allowing the loyalists to attack them.

How would you like to be ruled by bigots who done everything to stop you getting a vote, tried to burn families out of there homes and then the police backed all that up, along come the army and just back up this even further.

The pira grew because people needed defense and they where the only people who stood up for them.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Both and proud.
    You do know tit for tat would just happen?

K-9 wrote: »
    You sure about that? That's the first I've heard of it! Even the Paratroopers never said a machine gun, it would have been caught on film or audio!

... or rather a Thompson submachine gun, I know, not exactly a full on machine gun but still able to pack quite a few lethal punches.

Pure bollix but regardless, Would you carry a fart to a **** fight?

Well nobody did, barring McGuinness and that's debated!

That would cause chaos but no. I would tell them to leave and then see what happens.

And if they said No what would you do? Wave your poppy at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

He was carrying a machine gun, in Derry, and there are suspicions overs his activity before the massacre on the day. That's enough for me. As I've said I don't believe (beyond the bridge-building maneuver of the Saville Report) that the British Paratroopers, a far more professional force, just decided to attack a crowd of protesters without reason.

Well there's been more than one Bloody Sunday, the British have form on attacking crowds without reason.

So you're admitting to having no sources to back up your claims?

Folks distract yourselves with RTE1 now.

dav3 wrote: »
    Well there's been more than one Bloody Sunday, the British have form on attacking crowds without reason.

So you're admitting to having no sources to back up your claims?

No, just ag úsáid an ceann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Kasabian wrote: »
    Folks distract yourselves with RTE1 now.
    `

Whats this about ?

Advertisement