Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Election Day Thread *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

hondasam wrote: »
    Gallagher in second place and McGuinness in third.
    Kasabian wrote: »
    Gallagher in second really confuses me, people just refuse to learn in this country.

McGuinness could still make second with reports coming from some constituencies that he is coming in second in the counts. It could prove an interesting few hours.

Congrats Michael D. We could have done worse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Reports that a lot of people didn't take the referendum sheets as they "Didn't know enough about it"

Absolute farce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tbh I'd rather SG come 2nd than McGuinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If MDH wins on first count, do they bother counting the transfers? I'm really interested to see how transfer friendly some of the candidates were...

Yes the will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Wonder does Gay Mitchell still think he's going to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Looks like we will have a FF free Dublin:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

So MMG saved us from the Dragon... lol

It has all turned out grand in the end it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Looks like we will have a FF free Dublin:)

Michael D Higgins originally joined Fianna Fáil before he switched to Labour.:pac:
    Looks like everyone has a connection to FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Looking likely also that the Oireachtas Enquiry bill will get a "no".
    Good.

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Any word on the Judges one yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Tbh I'd rather SG come 2nd than McGuinness.

Why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hondasam wrote: »
    Michael D Higgins originally joined Fianna Fáil before he switched to Labour.:pac:
    Looks like everyone has a connection to FF.

That was in the 1920's

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

gbee wrote: »
    I voted several people, I voted strategically so the person that I wanted to win would get the transfers from the person I gave my No1 to, so whilst I gave someone my 1st preference vote, he or she is not who I voted for.
    I don't understand the point of this. Wouldn't you get the same effect by just voting for the person you actually wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

ríomhaire wrote: »
    I don't understand the point of this. Wouldn't you get the same effect by just voting for the person you actually wanted?

I voted for David Norris first because he didn't have a snowballs chance in hell, but I figured if he was eliminated with 12.5% or more, he'd get his expenses back, then Higgins to stop that other dude winning as a second pref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

sweet. now we can take out Dana without the media watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Reports that a lot of people didn't take the referendum sheets as they "Didn't know enough about it"

Absolute farce.

I'll never understand this. If you don't understand the change being made to your constitution then vote no.

pajunior wrote: »
    I'll never understand this. If you don't understand the change being made to your constitution then vote no.

what? If you dont understand then dont vote at all. you havent earned the right by not reading up on it. an uniformed vote is the most dangerous thing in a democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

At the bottom end of the returns so far Mitchell is destined to achieve Fine Gaels worst ever presidential tally. Looks like he'll return in single figures.

And Dana whatsherface and Mary photoshopface are consistently returning at around 2-3% in the first counts.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

what? If you dont understand then dont vote at all. you havent earned the right by not reading up on it. an uniformed vote is the most dangerous thing in a democracy

I disagree, if I don't understand a change in my constitution there is no way I am going to let it pass.
    However I would also never go into a referendum without having read up on the change so maybe this is a useless argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I'd have much preferred Martin McGuinness to have made it but of the remaining candidates Higgins is probably the least worst.

Very happy to see the strong turnout for Martin McGuinness, despite the systematic media campaign against him, & despite the Fine Gael anti-McGuinness shenanigans it looks like McGuinness has done very, very well.

Also delighted to see Gay Mitchell do so badly :) Hahaha, I think having the 'EU Toyboy' on his cv did him no favours, also his anti-republican negativity and personally I thought his bulldog attitude was pretty sinister. He came across as dismissive aggressive and arrogant.

Also, everyone but the most rabid anti-McGuinness haters knows we can all thank Martin McGuinness for saving us from Sean Gallagher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Morlar wrote: »
    Also delighted to see Gay Mitchell do so badly :) Hahaha, I think having the 'EU Toyboy' on his cv did him no favours, also his anti-republican negativity and personally I thought his bulldog attitude was pretty sinister. He came across as dismissive aggressive and arrogant.

Also, everyone but the most rabid anti-McGuinness haters knows we can all thank Martin McGuinness for saving us from Sean Gallagher :)

He probably came across as dismissive aggressive and arrogant cos he IS dismissive aggressive and arrogant.

Never thought I'd be grateful to MMcG, but I think you're right, he has indeed saved us from the non :rolleyes: FF candidate!

• Advertisement

I'd have much preferred Martin McGuinness to have made it but of the remaining candidates Higgins is probably the least worst.

Very happy to see the strong turnout for Martin McGuinness, despite the systematic media campaign against him, & despite the Fine Gael anti-McGuinness shenanigans it looks like McGuinness has done very, very well.

as much as it pains me to admit, yes youre right.

jesus. the IRA just saved ireland....theres gonna be a poxy holywood film isnt there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Sums up my view and opinion perfectly. Hopefully he has high enough final numbers, hopefully Sinn Féin receive a positive boost from this campaign also. Well done to Higgins, im not a fan but out of the rest he definitely deserved it. Thank God FF didn’t get a chance to stake a claim at anything in this country again!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wonder who that guy on Twitter who tweeted about the allegations was?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

You should thank Gay Mitchell though from saving you from Martin Mcguinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

KeithAFC wrote: »
    You should thank Gay Mitchell though from saving you from Martin Mcguinness.

Are you mad?
    Mitchell may have increased MMG's share of the vote with his ranting.

Also, I also agree that Sinn Féin's bold stunt was what turned the tide in favour of Higgins. I hope they get a box of roses from Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Are you mad?
    Mitchell may have increased MMG's share of the vote with his ranting.

Also, I also agree that Sinn Féin's bold stunt was what turned the tide in favour of Higgins. I hope they get a box of roses from Higgins.
    The Irish people do seem to have a very odd logic when it comes to elections. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I hate the gardai too, but I think this is a bit much.*

*I don't hate the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The Irish people do seem to have a very odd logic when it comes to elections. :confused:

Yep you keep on electing them pesky unionists up there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

That was in the 1920's

*splutter*! Coffee on the screen now but ta for the laugh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Mitchell made MMG look like a kind old man under attack. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a republican and I hate some of the things that MMG's crown did up your way but perception counts for a lot in elections.

Sure we know that MMG probably has bloody hands but we've heard it all before. Through the campaign, my respect only went up for the man. It probably had more to do with what I perceived to be an excessively hard time that he was getting. Miriam O Callaghan was responsible for a lot of it.

Call it irrational sympathy if you like. It's definitely illogical alright but I'd say it affected more people than myself. Had I bothered voting, I'd have given him my third or possibly second preference. By the end of the campaign, he was no longer in my "Avoid at all costs" category.

Advertisement