Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Election Day Thread *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Morlar wrote: »
    I'd have much preferred Martin McGuinness to have made it but of the remaining candidates Higgins is probably the least worst.

Very happy to see the strong turnout for Martin McGuinness, despite the systematic media campaign against him, & despite the Fine Gael anti-McGuinness shenanigans it looks like McGuinness has done very, very well.

Also delighted to see Gay Mitchell do so badly :) Hahaha, I think having the 'EU Toyboy' on his cv did him no favours, also his anti-republican negativity and personally I thought his bulldog attitude was pretty sinister. He came across as dismissive aggressive and arrogant.

Also, everyone but the most rabid anti-McGuinness haters knows we can all thank Martin McGuinness for saving us from Sean Gallagher :)

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Not a supporter of any party but I'm really happy. I think the Irish electorate showed a good deal of maturity in going for Michael D. He was by far the most substantial candidate. I know he can come across as being obtuse and over intellectual but I think he will do a great job. I've never gone to any sort of political event before but I think I'll go to Michael D's inauguration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

http://img.rasset.ie/0005295c-440.jpg

Taken from RTE election tracker

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Yes, I know I'm going to be flamed for this by the usual suspects, but it annoys me that somebody who's never lived, worked or paid tax in this country (leaving aside his leadership of an organisation that did not recognise the Irish state) can run for president, whereas Reesy, who has lived, worked, paid tax & contributed in a small way to Irish society for over fifteen years can't even vote in the election because he's still a citizen of the country of his birth.

Ah well, at least he won't be president, this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Editorial in the Independent on the day of the election.

DO NOT VOTE FOR MARTIN MCGUINNESS TODAY.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/dont-vote-for-mcguinness-2917727.html

First of all, do NOT have the audacity and sheer arrogance to tell/direct people how they should vote. And secondly, I am glad to see a good % of the vote go MMG's way. Truly shameless, shamtastic journalism.

• Advertisement

foxyboxer wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/dont-vote-for-mcguinness-2917727.html

First of all, do NOT have the audacity and sheer arrogance to tell/direct people how they should vote. And secondly, I am glad to see a good % of the vote go MMG's way. Truly shameless, shamtastic journalism.

I'm no fan of MMG but that is disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

realies wrote: »
    Yep you keep on electing them pesky unionists up there ;)
    I did say Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I hate the gardai too, but I think this is a bit much.*

*I don't hate the gardai.

ah give me a break i shredded my hand and have to type with just one hand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That bugged me too. Then again it is owned by Sir Tony O Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Mitchell made MMG look like a kind old man under attack. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a republican and I hate some of the things that MMG's crown did up your way but perception counts for a lot in elections.

Sure we know that MMG probably has bloody hands but we've heard it all before. Through the campaign, my respect only went up for the man. It probably had more to do with what I perceived to be an excessively hard time that he was getting. Miriam O Callaghan was responsible for a lot of it.

Call it irrational sympathy if you like. It's definitely illogical alright but I'd say it affected more people than myself. Had I bothered voting, I'd have given him my third or possibly second preference. By the end of the campaign, he was no longer in my "Avoid at all costs" category.

Rather ironic typo :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bleg wrote: »
    I'm no fan of MMG but that is disgusting.

....it is, however, typical. One might take solace from the strong showing of MMG in the face of that kind of sustained venom however, in that we aren't as sheeplike as a nation as some might have us believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Miriam is not at Dublin Castle, she is standing in front of a blue screen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

pajunior wrote: »
    Rather ironic typo :D

D'OH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

retalivity wrote: »
    Miriam is not at Dublin Castle, she is standing in front of a blue screen

You cynic, maybe the sun shining out of her arse towards it is what's causing the different light levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

accroding to rte's exit poll..

17% of all voters switched their vote from sean gallagher in the last week.
    Being really unscientific here, but thats 17% of the 40% that was going to vote for him at the weekend.
    Which is still less than half of people who were gonna vote for him on sunday.
    So there is still more than a 5th of the voters who, after the debacle on monday & tuedsday, still voted for gallagher.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

In wishing to become head of State, the candidates should have expected their records and stances to come under intense scrutiny as the public have a right to know who they are voting for.

In this regard, in casting their ballot today, there is one candidate who has failed to be in any way honest with the electorate he wishes to represent and therefore does not deserve an endorsement at the ballot box.

From the off, Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness has lied about his role in the IRA and has been consistently ambiguous in his condemnation of atrocities carried out by the Provisional IRA throughout the Troubles.

The families of victims of the IRA on this side of the Border have bravely spoken out against Mr McGuinness's candidacy and their voices merit being listened to.

Nobody can credibly believe Mr McGuinness's ridiculous claim he left the IRA in 1974 and played no further role -- not even Sinn Fein members.

Based upon their own experiences, former garda commissioners and ministers for justice have testified that he played a leading role in the IRA throughout the organisation's campaign. The protection of the democratic institutions in a sovereign state remains paramount. Until Mr McGuinness is prepared to be open about his past, he cannot be trusted to be elected as president "down here".

Can see anything wrong with this. It's clearly an editorial piece as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I did say Irish.

Yes and you are are Irish, you where born on the island of Ireland and are considered Irish by everyone in the world bar your own crowd, Even in England your thought of as Irish and thats just a fact of the matter.

But you'd prefer to be part of a people who can't stand you and don't want you so I'll leave you to that.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Yes and you are are Irish, you where born on the island of Ireland and are considered Irish by everyone in the world bar your own crowd, Even in England your thought of as Irish and thats just a fact of the matter.

But you'd prefer to be part of a people who can't stand you and don't want you so I'll leave you to that.
    I don't think you speak for 63+ million people cowzerp. It is the same old argument though, no point in going over it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

In fairness we don't want them either. I think they should change the name of Northern Ireland to something else, that way they wont have the privilege of being called Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If its peace you want, the ignore feature works wonderfully.

• Advertisement

bleg wrote: »
    Sinn Fein talking themselves up and didn't wish one word of congratulations to Michael D.
    Michael D Higgins did very well though. He was straight with his answers and wasn't controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wonder what's going through Mitchell's mind atm.. he can't be happy with the idea of McGuinness outperforming him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I wonder what's going through Mitchell's mind it.. he can't be happy with the idea of McGuinness outperforming him.

At the moment he is now more worried about D norris out preforming him :)

Noel Whealan looks like he's about to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The Apprentice, Barry C Hunt got 775!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I don't think you speak for 63+ million people cowzerp. It is the same old argument though, no point in going over it again.

He doesn't have to. You are renegades, unwanted by those you cherish so dear:rolleyes:, and a huge portion of everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I voted for SG. A genuinely nice guy, not a slimeball like some of the others in the race. Yeah he was involved in FF - so what? To see the Shinners adopting the moral high ground was sickening. What a shower of twats.

At least the electorate gave them the two fingers today. Looks like they'll get around 10% Fcuking delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I voted for SG. A genuinely nice guy, not a slimeball like some of the others in the race. Yeah he was involved in FF - so what? To see the Shinners adopting the moral high ground was sickening. What a shower of twats.

At least the electorate gave them the two fingers today. Looks like they'll get around 10% Fcuking delighted.

bwahahahahahahaha! oh my

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

So what do you make of the fact that Gallagher, 'the community worker and volunteer', was charging GAA clubs 5K to fill out some forms? Basically doing f-all except using his political influence to ensure they got the grant? The worst kind of cronyism. It is disgraceful that FF has inflicted this kind of sh1te on our society. In order to get anywhere you have to pay off the FFer. They wrecked the country with this crap while enriching themselves. Gallagher is a disgrace portraying himself as a community worker volunteer when it turns out he was actually making handy cash off the backs off the real volunteers who go out to fundraise for their local GAA clubs. This the real SG, are you seriously telling me he is a 'genuinely nice guy'?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Should have gone to specsavers, I voted for Martin McGuinness living in South Kerry and there is massive upswell of anti-Healy-Rae/Fianna Fail feeling down here, FG mismanaged their vote which saw them fail to secure the second seat down here. Kerry is a brutally strong Republican County and in the past this was expressed through misguided stupidity in voting for Fianna Fail, however now that Fianna Fail have been exposed as traitors to Ireland people around here are turning to Sinn Fein en-masse as they did in North Kerry several years ago.

If SF runs a candidate (Teresa Ferris) in Kerry South they will wreck the two gombeens Rae and Fleming, and both of them would make Gallagher look comparatively clean b contrast.

Advertisement