Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Election Day Thread *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Disleksic wrote: »
    Very sure. He received a lower percentage of first preference votes than Adams got in the general election in Louth. SF may do reasonably well in border counties and deprived areas of the country but as for the rest of the Irish Republic, they can forget it.
    :pac:
    Why do you think that would happen ?? For gods sake get some cop on :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Freddie59 wrote: »
    SF tried everything to improve their vote. They didn't. Thankfully. :)

5% up, more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

K-9 wrote: »
    Thinking about it, we wont need to count the McGuinness vote, his vote wont matter, which is pretty poor, no matter how the Shinners spin it!

Seems like McGuinness' votes did need to be counted after all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I has surprised me how much people actually wrote him off, and he did better in areas that would no be considered traditionally SF territory!

I reckon in 7 years (I can't see MDH doing 2 terms) that we'll see him running again and doing FAR better!

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I has surprised me how much people actually wrote him off, and he did better in areas that would no be considered traditionally SF territory!

I reckon in 7 years (I can't see MDH doing 2 terms) that we'll see him running again and doing FAR better!

As Gerry Adams said on the tele yesterday, people need to face up to and accept that SF are here for the long run, and the hysteria from the media will have to die off sooner or later.

In the next 10 years, SF are going to be a far more mainstream party, and perhaps the only credible left-leaning one in the country. The 'old hats' and former IRA members will have retired and the younger members who have no questions over their histories will be guiding the party into a new era.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The 'old hats' and former IRA members will have retired and the younger members who have no questions over their histories will be guiding the party into a new era.

I've said before I welcome that day. If when that happens they can tighten up their policies and move away from telling people what they want to hear, then I look forward to having a genuine alternative to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, but because they only eliminated Norris on his own, not in addition to Mitchell.

I'm surprised Shinners are so euphoric over it considering there was talk of second just a couple of days ago and expectations of 20% or so earlier in the campaign.

Considering Gallagher had over double the McGuinness vote and Mitchell was doing better on transfers it's a bit like grasping straws. Sf just can't win undecided voters.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Disleksic wrote: »
    Very sure. He received a lower percentage of first preference votes than Adams got in the general election in Louth. SF may do reasonably well in border counties and deprived areas of the country but as for the rest of the Irish Republic, they can forget it.

Fantastic logic there matey! No seriously, that politics degree was well worth the three years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

K-9 wrote: »

I'm surprised Shinners are so euphoric over it considering there was talk of second just a couple of days ago and expectations of 20% or so earlier in the campaign.

Right from the start of the campaign, it was clear it was always going to be a "win" for MMG's supporters; he could have got 1% and it would have been twisted positivly somehow...

How come Norris is about to speak here on RTE1 and Mitchell isn't?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Mitchell and Davis either are on their way or not coming at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Jaysus, that would be very ungracious if they didn't turn up!

I'd half expect it from Mitchell, but not Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Watching the speeches here on RTE. The more I see of this Gallagher pr!ck the more I think we dodged a bullet.

Absolute tosser, would love to meet him some day to tell him what I think of him.

600,000 Irish people should hang their heads in shame.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Jaysus, that would be very ungracious if they didn't turn up!

I'd half expect it from Mitchell, but not Davis

Sure Mitchell half ran out of the studio on Monday night after the Frontline (while the credits were rolling). Ungracious plank. Davis, well, she can't be all too happy about coming paddy last eh?

How rude is that?! Mitchell was very ungracious yesterday too when the media were trying to get his reaction to the results.

Delighted for Higgins today.. how can anyone not like him? :)

Right from the start of the campaign, it was clear it was always going to be a "win" for MMG's supporters; he could have got 1% and it would have been twisted positivly somehow...

I voted MMG. I'm very happy with now he done and encouraged for the future.

But that encouragement is on ice for the moment, Gallagher got 600,000 votes.

Who are these people and where have they been living the last 4 years.

Ireland will never change

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

bad form from mitchell and davis.

Great speech :eek:

One that will go down in history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Wonder will anyone open a book on when he'll pull his first Yeltsin in Shannon stunt?
    Substitute the drunk bit for asleep though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

When's he taking up office?

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone could argue with the appointment of Mick D as president.

He is a true statesman, fluent in Irish, dripping in Irish culture through poetry and literature.

He's had years in politics in Ireland and really doesn't need the gig in phoinex park.

I believe he went for the position for all the right reasons and fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is Higgins our Obama?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Thought that was never going to end.

Enda pissing on the parade a bit now :pac:

Enda Kenny's nose is very distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Fago! wrote: »
    When's he taking up office?

Nov 11th I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Uninspiring speech here from Enda. Doesn't look like he even wants to be there.

"Gay is a good man. True to his political beliefs"

Where the fcuk is he, Enda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Uninspiring speech here from Enda. Doesn't look like he even wants to be there.

Sure must look bad, isn't Mitchell Fine Gael and didn't even show up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

"Gay is a good man. True to his political beliefs"

Where the fcuk is he, Enda?

Back on the next plane to Brussels probably.

Advertisement