Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Election Day Thread *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I predict a close result, sheningans when ballot boxes from Mayo goes missing, multiple recounts and a dirty high court case :eek:

Anything else would be too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

HEY!

You can't vote twice!! Or 3 times as it is now!

A Shinners get 2 votes, it's why they love on line polls, change id's and vote again.

1. Dana
    2. Norris
    3. Higgins
    4. Davis
    5. Gallagher
    6. Mitchell
    7. McGuinness

Dana for the LOLZ and to ensure my transfer matters, same with Norris.

After 3, doesn't really matter.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

heyjude wrote: »
    So your argument is, if judges pay is reduced, even if all other public service wages are being reduced at the same time, then judicial independence would be endangered and they would be more prone to corruption.

I would ask, is it not true that judges are appointed according to to their political affiliations ? Would you see a diehard Fine Gael supporter appointed to the judiciary by a Fianna Fail government or vice versa ? No, you wouldn't, so does this not endanger judicial independence too and is this method of judicial selection, not also open to corruption ?

Judges also have to be part of the society they serve and if we're cutting the pay of low paid public servants, how just would it be for high earners such as judges to be exempt from the same pain ?

I accept that pay cuts for judges alone shouldn't be allowed for the reasons you give, but as part of a universal public service pay cut, I see a valid argument for them.

And just to point out:

"The present Constitutional prohibition on reducing the pay of judges applies only to judges who have already been appointed. There is nothing in the Constitution to prevent new judges being appointed at lower pay levels than apply to sitting judges. The government has announced its intention to reduce the pay of newly appointed judges."

As for the anti-corruption argument, I would argue that its the caliber of the people involved that prevents corruption and not the amount,within reason, that they are paid. Picking judges according to their party political preferences is a bad starting point. Our politicians are among the best paid in Europe, yet allegations of corruption have remained. Some people will be corrupt no matter what they earn.

They are appointed by the President on behalf of advice of the government. A person with the correct criteria may also be recommended for appointment by the JAAB. A stupid system in my view yes but not every judge at the moment is a die-hard Fine Gael supporter and vice versa when FF where in power.

I don't think judges should be exempt from cuts, I feel the way it should be done be looked at. My main gripe is with the current referendum, as I have pointed out.

The fact they don't pay the Public Service Pension Levy is stupid. And I see that's what the referendum is putting forward.

I just don't see this referendum being passed as a healthy method on controlling the pay of the judiciary.
    It, I feels, leaves the judiciary open to the threat of interference by the ministers.

Again, I agree Judges should have pay cut, just not in the manner proposed by the referendum.

And just a note:

The present Constitutional prohibition on reducing the pay of judges applies only to judges who have already been appointed. There is nothing in the Constitution to prevent new judges being appointed at lower pay levels than apply to sitting judges. The government has announced its intention to reduce the pay of newly appointed judges.

And currently of the 147 judges in Ireland, 72 made voluntary payments and standing order commitments in relation to the whole not being affected by the Levy.

They also can be taxed the same way as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

mikemac wrote: »
    I predict a close result, sheningans when ballot boxes from Mayo goes missing, multiple recounts and a dirty high court case :eek:

Anything else would be too easy

And that all happens when the judges pay cuts get passed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Higgins purely on the grounds that his pension will probably be less than a younger president. More concerned with the referendums, definite no in the second and still unsure about the first, leaning for a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Martin Mc Guinness Number 1. Believe it or not still undecided on my preferences at this late stage.

The wife also going to vote MMG, she has never voted SF in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I've found it very interesting how different the AH poll has been to the official ones. I don't think (and I hope I'm right) that MMG has a hope even though he's been doing well in AH polls. We'll see Friday I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

We have had approx 130 voters so far. Gay Mitchell has 2 votes. I'd love to see that trend repeated around the country. Maybe next time he will run an actual campaign.

Mary Davis 1 0.79%
    Seán Gallagher 9 7.09%
    Michael D. Higgins 54 42.52%
    Martin McGuinness 29 22.83%
    Gay Mitchell 2 1.57%
    David Norris 19 14.96%
    Dana Rosemary Scallon 1 0.79%
    I cannot/will not vote. 12 9.45%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

strobe wrote: »
    Ah, any chance of making it public Keith?

Any particular reason why? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I think this was meant to be an exit poll, but nevertheless my vote is for Michael D and unless he eats an orphan between now and the morning I won't be changing my mind for anyone's money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

1 MMG
    2 MDH
    3 DN

NO

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

One of the reasons is that they cannot be influenced by government over certain cases, ie be threatened or rewarded with regards their pay by the government for a favourable outcome for the government.
    That's akin to saying nurses' treatment of a sick TD or minister might be influenced by public sector cuts/rises. Should they be exempt too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

sdeire wrote: »
    I think this was meant to be an exit poll, but nevertheless my vote is for Michael D and unless he eats an orphan between now and the morning I won't be changing my mind for anyone's money.

Very funny.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sdeire wrote: »

Due to the moratorium he is entitled to eat as many orphans as he pleases since 2pm today, and good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I will be voting as follows:

1 Martin McGuinness

NO NO (on the 2 referenda)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Voting for Martin McGuinness

Im actually very proud today that I can go in and put number 1 against his name.

Im not sure what way to go on the other two votes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I was going to vote when McGuinness and Norris were polling well. Now it looks like neither are going to win (Mitchell, Dana and Davis haven't a chance either) I am going to spoil my vote as IMO the office of the President should be done away with as it is a waste of the Irish people's money and time (and distracting us from the other two important referenda to be voted upon)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I was going to vote when McGuinness and Norris were polling well. Now it looks like neither are going to win (Mitchell, Dana and Davis haven't a chance either) I am going to spoil my vote as IMO the office of the President should be done away with as it is a waste of the Irish people's money and time (and distracting us from the other two important referenda to be voted upon)

You're a great supporter, Norris and MMG are lucky to have ya! If my guys look like they won't win, I'm not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

You're not going to vote for McGuinness or Norris because they aren't polling well? Well why not give them your vote then anyway?

The position of the President should be done away with? Come on, it's a hugely important role for foreign relations, tourism and the President still has many duties which, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want those duties to be assigned to the Taoiseach. I think that's far too much power for any Taoiseach to have.

And as for distracting us from the other two referenda, that's not the President's fault, and has nothing to do with who should be President or if we have a President. It's the government's fault for having these referenda on the same day meaning it's been pushed into the background.

Spoiling your vote is pointless. There is going to be a new President whether you spoil your vote or not. You have the chance to try and make sure the person you would most like to be President has a chance. Even if you only put a 1 beside one name and don't mark the rest, vote for somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Delighted that I could go in and leave a blank box beside McGuinness and Dana. Pity you can't do more, like write a personal letter to them telling them to FOAD.

Felt a bit dirty sticking a 5 beside Mitchell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Im actually very proud today that I can go in and put number 1 against his name.

'Poster puffed with pride as pariah pushes for presidency'.

Give the Star a call, they might run with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I ticked the box beside Higgins and voted yes, yes on the referendum. Have no problems with judges' pay being decreased, and despite having some reservations about the Oireachtas one I decided it was in the interest of the greater good to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You're a great supporter, Norris and MMG are lucky to have ya! If my guys look like they won't win, I'm not playing.

Just to clarify, I was going to vote to keep McGiunness and Norris out of the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

How about a poll on the Referendums? Or is that too serious for AH:P

Fairly obvious from my sig who I voted for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

1. MDH
    2. SG
    3. Norris
    4. Davis
    5. Mitchell.
    6. Dana
    How about a poll on the Referendums? Or is that too serious for AH:P

It wouldn't matter. They'll pass without any hassle since they've been snuck in and people tend to vote yes for things they've no clue about and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

people tend to vote yes for things they've no clue about and hope for the best.

Like Nice? Or Lisbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

1. Higgins
    2. Norris

Voted yes on judge's pay, no on Oireachtas enquiries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Like Nice? Or Lisbon?

Those had strong campaigns both for and against, with people at least asking others to consider the No option if they don't know what its about. There was attempts to debate that. I've seen no such discussion on this one on a large scale (no posters, no literature through the letter box, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Just back from voting now, Voted for those on my last post in this thread...

Advertisement