Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Election Day Thread *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Higgins #1.
    No to both; don't feel like being investigated by a member of the Healy Rae tribe anytime soon, shades of "Deliverance" right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

MMG1 MDH2 only gave MDH second preference as insurance against Gallagher! NO to both referenda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I could vote with a lot of effort and for the Generals I made the effort but I don't think the office of President and the calibre of candidates is worth the effort. Feel bad not voting on the referendums though.

The only reason I could think of to vote on the Presidential election was to make sure MMG is never never our head of state but looks unlikely he will be.

My card would have been 1) MDH 2) Mary Davis.

Would have voted yes on pay no to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

No 1 Martin McGuinness, 2 Michael D, 3 David Norris -- the rest of them shag all.;)

Yes in both referendums. Judges can afford to tighten their belts a little and crooks and their dealings could never be investigated enough.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

realies wrote: »
    If I am still on this earth tomorrow I shall be voting martin mcguinness and also voting no in both referendums.
    That's it for me also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

1/ Gallagher wins after many checks
    2/ Higgins falls short overall in 2nd.
    3/ Norris makes a surprise thrust into 3rd place!
    4/ McGuinness bombs miserably, & goes home.
    5/ Mitchell fails even more so . . . .
    6/ Dana fails with a healthy constitution.
    7/ Mary gets airbrushed into oblivion.

PS; This forum has an amazing Pro Sinn Fein %, the reality being somewhat different..

LordSutch wrote: »

PS; This forum has an amazing Pro Sinn Fein %, the reality being somewhat different..
    How do you know what the reality is when the votes haven't been counted yet and the poll (see above) shows a preference for Michael D? Nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Those had strong campaigns both for and against

Which may indeed have served to obfuscate as much as inform.
    people tend to vote yes for things they've no clue about and hope for the best.

Following the rejection of Lisbon, the government-commissioned study published by Millward Brown found the following.
    The main reason cited for voting No was ‘lack of knowledge/information/ understanding’ at 42%. There can be little doubt that this emerged as the primary reason for people voting No.

http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Publications/Post%20Lisbon%20Treaty%20Referendum%20Research%20Findings/post%20lisbon%20treaty%20referendum%20research%20findings_sept08.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

How do you know what the reality is when the votes haven't been counted yet and the poll (see above) shows a preference for Michael D? Nonsense!

Look at any of the polls here & compare them to all the Red C/ MRBI - Irish Times polls and the difference is stark. Sinn Fein are very well represented here (possible due to the age profile)?? Same with the last general election when Sinn Fein was riding very high in the boards.ie polls. The reality was very different when the real election was held. There is no way 'in reality' that MMcG will come 2nd.

Toss a coin between Gallagher & Higgins, it will be tight.

• Mary Davis 3%
    • Seán Gallagher 20%
    • Michael D. Higgins 40%
    • Martin McGuinness 17%
    • Gay Mitchell 5%
    • David Norris 11%
    • Dana Rosemary Scallon 3%
    Not sure how this will format but these are the results from the Irish Independent poll. Compared to Boards (I took out the non-voters to make comparable):

Mary Davis 0.50%
    Sean Gallagher 7.54%
    Michael D. Higgins 45.23%
    Martin McGuinness 26.13%
    Gay Mitchell 2.51%
    David Norriss 17.09%
    Dana Rosemary Scanlon 1.00%

I'd say II is more representative of what I think the final numbers will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look at any of the polls here & compare them to all the Red C/ MRBI - Irish Times polls and the difference is stark.
    There is no way 'in reality' that MMcG will come 2nd.
    The polls released last weekend are largely meaningless now IMO because there are no good polls since Gallagher completely fncked up his handling of the cheque issue.

His inability to answer the question straight on and instead stumble through it in a way that Bertie would be proud of, has destroyed his election chances IMO.

MDH and MMG will probably top it, MDH with a sizeable lead. Norris will be a few places back (probaby 12% or so of 1st prefs) and the rest will be floundering below 10%.

Gallagher never had a strong backing. He started with 11%, jumping to 40% in less than a month. This means that 75% of his support was made of very soft swing voters, who will be swayed by anything.

An ad-hoc poll taken after the debate on Monday showed that his support halved instantly, though how accurate this, I don't know.

Look at any of the polls here & compare them to all the Red C/ MRBI - Irish Times polls and the difference is stark. Sinn Fein are very well represented here (possible due to the age profile)?? Same with the last general election when Sinn Fein was riding very high in the boards.ie polls. The reality was very different when the real election was held. There is no way 'in reality' that MMcG will come 2nd.

Toss a coin between Gallagher & Higgins, it will be tight.
    Yes it will be tight but I haven't seen any polls since the tv debate when Gallagher imploded. I'm not saying there hasn't been any Red C or MRBI polls done, I just haven't seen any. But Higgins still has the edge by about 18% here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

How many more times are you going to post this? You're nearly into spam territory. Keep it up.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I was going to vote when McGuinness and Norris were polling well. Now it looks like neither are going to win (Mitchell, Dana and Davis haven't a chance either) I am going to spoil my vote as IMO the office of the President should be done away with as it is a waste of the Irish people's money and time (and distracting us from the other two important referenda to be voted upon)

So your letting opinion polls decide your vote for you! Get out and vote for your choice candidate its not the grand national you don't have to vote for the winner its about having your say

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

People should have to get a licence to vote as some people are just too stupid reading some of the replies on here!

People who vote for Dana should just be put down, even if it is "just for a laugh" which is actually worse than seriously voting for her. Gallagher voters should just be put in prision for a while....

All the other candidates seem like genuine candidates (be it not very good ones)

Higgin should have this in the bag, wish I backed him at 7/2 last weekend, easy money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

It wouldn't matter. They'll pass without any hassle since they've been snuck in and people tend to vote yes for things they've no clue about and hope for the best.

I know they've been snuck in, but people tend to vote No when in doubt.

I voted against handing broad and ill - defined investigative powers to
    such paragons of virtue like Michael Lowry, Gerry Adams, Micheál Martin, Alan Shatter, Willie O' Dea, Martin Ferris et al. Don't even get me started on the single - cell organisms that make up the Seanad . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

The only reason I could think of to vote on the Presidential election was to make sure MMG is never never our head of state but looks unlikely he will be.
    My card would have been 1) MDH 2) Mary Davis.
    Would have voted yes on pay no to the other.
    ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ditto

Haters gonna hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

^ whatever that means

Morlar wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate.

About sums up McGuinness view on the world. He's just full of hatred.

• Advertisement

About sums up McGuinness view on the world. He's just full of hatred.

That explains why Gay Mitchell, the candidate of the party currently in power in Ireland is polling at 2% here & Martin McGuinness is on 23.87%

Hateful campaign of negativity backfired massively for the Gay /Anti SF/Anti Martin McGuinness southern unionist camp don't you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

just thinking we normally see all these wasters casting their votes, but what about the MLA, can he vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Mary Davis cause she has hot daughters :eek:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/10/04/campaign-2011-today-so-far/

Mary Davis cause she has hot daughters :eek:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/10/04/campaign-2011-today-so-far/

I know my order of preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

just thinking we normally see all these wasters casting their votes, but what about the MLA, can he vote?

No, he's not allowed to vote.. which is ridiculous imo, considering he's allowed to run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

What a pathetic line-up we have to choose from.

No and No. Probably spoil the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Went down, with my polling card, and they said I'm not on the list. :S

No he attended the polling station along with Pearse Doherty this morning it would be nice if Pearse let him put the ballot paper in the box don't know if that happened but

flyaway. wrote: »
    Went down, with my polling card, and they said I'm not on the list. :S

Sounds like someone removed you then cause you were on the list when the polling card was sent out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Turns out there were looking on the wrong list...

Advertisement