Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political allegiance of SU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Just to repeat, I have nothing personal against any SU officer, they all really nice people, I just think they're crap at their jobs. In the same vein, I think Keith Young and Barry Kennedy would have been excellent at their jobs but don't seem like good craic. Just sayin'.

That's a shame but everyone's entitled to their opinion i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'm sure your friends are very fond of you though and if I said a bad word about you they'd all gang up on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm sure your friends are very fond of you though and if I said a bad word about you they'd all gang up on me.

Such is the nature of friends. ;)

which was entirely my point. I'm sure Bertie Ahern's mates would back him up on boards if there was a thread about him, doesn't stop him being a corrupt politician who made a mess of his job. We don't rely on known acquaintances as witnesses.

I know you're a pal of ninty9er as well so don't let that fool anyone either.

Why would that fool anyone my dear?

• Advertisement

Well another post might just think you're a rational, impartial, reliable bystander who is commenting on what he sees. Rather than being a personal acquaintance of the man in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    As Baz said, the annual Derek is in FF thread hit early this year.... *yawn*

"for reasons unknown"? I would imagine it is because he feels they represent the closest approximation to his chosen political ideology and made a free choice to join then, that's his perogative. Don't reply with some smart answer about FF's political ideology. Yes, there's corruption and problems in FF, but you can't tar everyone with that.

Secondly, you can campaign for people in your free time. As long as he doesnt campaign for FF while he's in work, that's fine.

Thirdly "he took time off" is the most important bit of that sentence. Again, he's allowed take time off, whether he spends that time canvassing for FF or murdering small animals, that's his choice.

He endorsed Mary Davis? AWFUL. Also, she's hardly FF. quite the opposite. Gallagher is FF-lite and I wouldnt vote for him personally, but meh, it's Dereks facebook, he can talk about voting for whoever he likes. Merely not having his privacy settings set to whatever you think is most appropriate doesnt mean it becomes an SU president facebook.

Lastly, people can be anti whatever political party they want. As long as it doesnt effect his dealings with students that are SF supporters who the hell cares. I'm not that fond of terrorists and murderers myself.

SO IN SUMMATION - No one cares.

/thread.

According to you citing corruption in Fianna Fail = you cant tar everyone with the same brush
    but SF supporters = terrorists and murderers

You're some bloody hypocrite

Well another post might just think you're a rational, impartial, reliable bystander who is commenting on what he sees. Rather than being a personal acquaintance of the man in question.

It would appear one cannot be both by your implication.

A curious rationale indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

None of the SU sabbats are people I have ever associated with. They are neither my friends on FB or people I have personally spoken with in the last 4 years in this university.

What's that?

That is indeed the sound of Sid's perception of SU/DD defenders shattering around him.

Where is your defence for DD nockz?

• Advertisement

Where is your defence for DD nockz?
    It is all around you. It is the air you breath, the food you taste, the things your eyes see. It is what drives us forward as humans. It's what seperates man from beast. My defence for the most Derek of Daly's is wherever it needs to be. He's a good lad, fair capable of the job he does. He has played a very active role in the inner workings of the SU and his dealings with Exec and other administrative bodies around this Campus have lead to many good things. I am not so quick to put him down, unlike you, and my lack of criticisms is enough of a defence for DD. Like the wind I must blow away now, for you have already killed me once tonight. Maybe the moon shall shine upon us when we are both awak some time. Until then, I bid thee a most racious farewell.

Nockz wrote: »

My defence for the most Derek of Daly's is wherever it needs to be.

This means you make stuff up.
    He's a good lad,

I thought you never met him and were not his friend in real life or on facebook. You're not really qualified to give character references for people you haven't met.
    fair capable of the job he does.

How can you be the judge of this when you don't know job he is supposed to be doing and what he actually does.
    He has played a very active role in the inner workings of the SU

It was the FFers knowledge of the inner workings of the SU that led to C&S money debacle.
    and his dealings with Exec and other administrative bodies around this Campus have lead to many good things.

If you actually attended any exec meetings you'd know this isn't the case.
    I am not so quick to put him down, unlike you,

Because you don't have a clue and therefore can't. You don't know anything about the man so why even comment in this thread.
    and my lack of criticisms is enough of a defence for DD.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Like the wind I must blow away now, for you have already killed me once tonight. Maybe the moon shall shine upon us when we are both awak some time. Until then, I bid thee a most racious farewell.

I presume you mean gracious

You're a right tool.... and here's why:

- I clearly stated he is not my friend on Facebook.
    - I clearly stated that I have not spoken with him in the last 4 years.
    - I have seen what Derek looks like.
    - I have heard his voice.
    - I have been with mutual friends of Derek who were speaking to Derek at the time.
    - I have been in the same room as Derek as he gave a talk undertaking the role of SU President.
    - I have been a student of this University for the last 3 years, soon to be 4 and can, therefore, see the changes he has made.
    - I have spent years on a few different Society commiittees and have attended a rather large amount of C&S council meetings chaired by Derek.
    - I have also spent years not on any committee and have observed what it is like not to have been around C&S for so long.

Therefore Sid, I stand perfectly nice to my original statement on Derek's character. I know him far more than you have if FB screens and campaigning leaflets are all you have seen of him. Your habit of picking people apart has failed you. Admit defeat. Get some sleep. Perhaps in the morning you will have made up a reason as to why I am wrong and you are right. I look forward to your silly posts on the matter.

Kindly stop trying to know me. You don't.

You're a right tool.... and here's why:

That's very rude.
    - I clearly stated he is not my friend on Facebook.
    - I clearly stated that I have not spoken with him in the last 4 years.

Agreed

-
    I have seen what Derek looks like.
    - I have heard his voice.
    - I have been with mutual friends of Derek who were speaking to Derek at the time.
    - I have been in the same room as Derek as he gave a talk undertaking the role of SU President.

So have I. Is that it? Is that what you're basing your opinion on, you were in the same room as him?
    - I have been a student of this University for the last 3 years, soon to be 4 and can, therefore, see the changes he has made.

Which are?
    - I have spent years on a few different Society commiittees and have attended a rather large amount of C&S council meetings chaired by Derek.
    - I have also spent years not on any committee and have observed what it is like not to have been around C&S for so long.

So what are you saying? Derek is good at being in charge of meetings and telling people what to do???
    Therefore Sid, I stand perfectly nice to my original statement on Derek's character. I know him far more than you have if FB screens and campaigning leaflets are all you have seen of him.

I have also been in his vicinity, that would by your logic, make me fully qualified to comment on his character. He also once served my a big mac meal but he doesn't like me telling people that.
    Your habit of picking people apart has failed you. Admit defeat.

I admit defeat.Well done you have won 2 internets.
    Get some sleep. Perhaps in the morning you will have made up a reason as to why I am wrong and you are right. I look forward to your silly posts on the matter.

good morning.
    Kindly stop trying to know me. You don't.

I don't want to know you, I am not trying, I am just going on what you say on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Do come to the next BULBs Sid, you'd make the night one not to forget :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

will there be a BULBS early next semester? hope so.

To be met with more blatant rudeness, no thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    will there be a BULBS early next semester? hope so.

i'ed love to have bulbs in week one of semester 2

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Sid may I ask if you think the government put little hearing devices in your teeth so they can hear your every word?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I'd also like to state that I don't know Derek (or any of the SU heads) in any personal capacity. I've nothing to do with them, no vested interest.

@Mike91, great suggestion.

• Advertisement

Mikel91 wrote: »
    Sid may I ask if you think the government put little hearing devices in your teeth so they can hear your every word?

No, that's ridiculous. Firstly, for them to implant any device in one's mouth they would have to perform general anaesthetic . While retrograde amnesia is a common consequence of such drugs, I presume i would have noticed time missing from my schedule.

Secondly, such hearing devices would need a power source to operate continuously. While tiny lithium batteries hold some charge for long periods, nothing is currently available that would be able to store that amount of charge. Even if mercury in the teeth fillings caused some kind of electrical gradient that could be utilised by a recording device...

(thirdly...)That only accounts for the recording, not the actual medium the audio would be recorded onto. Either you'd have to record onto a very dense medium (like terabyte per cm2 or transmit wirelessly to storage devices elsewhere. Thus that would mean there is a storage device either implanted on my person elsewhere (subcutaneously perhaps) or there are millions of recording devices implanted incognito in the surroundings (lamp posts, walls, tables, etc.).

Finally for it to be any use the data would have to be accessed, processed and analysed for useful information. I think this is a trivial problem compared to the other three and very possible with modern technology. Speech to text algorithms along with natural language processing would be able to transcribe, sort and highlight any rouge material quite quickly.

But really, no, I don't think that the govt has put a recording device in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

page 11 is probably the last time there was an on topic post...

To join the off-topic posting
    The sabbats are there for the free cans and the student life style for free for a year.

and you are here paying for a 7th year for the student life style and cans.
    would you ever stop telling tales on people and interfering in threads. Adults are trying to have an open discussion about serious and less serious topics and you seem purely intent on enforcing some artificial rules. It's like a parody of 1984, if intentional, fair play it's very believable, if not, you need to stop pretending to be a moderator and stifling discussion.

wow.. you get offended because I stooped to your level and created a fake facebook account and added you as a friend and you cry harassment. Can you grow up and have an intelligent conversation?

If your posts don't break the rules on boards then admins will tell me to stop/ignore my reports and you have nothing to worry about. Adults can still have their discussion, just without your childish behaviour.

Nobody has come to defend you or ganged up on anyone else because of you.

At least there is boards for people with no friends to say they are being ganged up on.

Well some poster might think you are rational, impartial, reliable bystander too...

People are free to think what they want and have no obligation to reveal every connection they have to anyone.
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    Do come to the next BULBs Sid, you'd make the night one not to forget biggrin.gif

That would and if he goes, I'd go (I may go anyway if I'm free).
    To be met with more blatant rudeness, no thank you very much.

Maybe people can actually meet you and see either:
    a. a nice logical smart guy who may be expressing his opinions badly

or

b. a stubborn, arrogant, pedantic a**hole
    No, that's ridiculous. Firstly, for them to implant any device in one's mouth they would have to perform general anaesthetic . While retrograde amnesia is a common consequence of such drugs, I presume i would have noticed time missing from my schedule. (wow I'd say it took you 7th years of college and a start in med school to finally be able to come up with that!)

yawn.

But really, no, I don't think that the govt has put a recording device in my mouth.

One of my longest (if not longest) posts ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

No, that's ridiculous. Firstly, for them to implant any device in one's mouth they would have to perform general anaesthetic . While retrograde amnesia is a common consequence of such drugs, I presume i would have noticed time missing from my schedule.

Secondly, such hearing devices would need a power source to operate continuously. While tiny lithium batteries hold some charge for long periods, nothing is currently available that would be able to store that amount of charge. Even if mercury in the teeth fillings caused some kind of electrical gradient that could be utilised by a recording device...

(thirdly...)That only accounts for the recording, not the actual medium the audio would be recorded onto. Either you'd have to record onto a very dense medium (like terabyte per cm2 or transmit wirelessly to storage devices elsewhere. Thus that would mean there is a storage device either implanted on my person elsewhere (subcutaneously perhaps) or there are millions of recording devices implanted incognito in the surroundings (lamp posts, walls, tables, etc.).

Finally for it to be any use the data would have to be accessed, processed and analysed for useful information. I think this is a trivial problem compared to the other three and very possible with modern technology. Speech to text algorithms along with natural language processing would be able to transcribe, sort and highlight any rouge material quite quickly.

That what they what you to think Sid

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Sid seriously and im not being funny or sarcastic or anything like that
    Call in to the drop in service in college, have a chat, and see how it goes and get their opinion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Ah here now you're just making it obvious. Poor show, 4/10.

and you are here paying for a 7th year for the student life style and cans.

No I am not.
    wow.. you get offended because I stooped to your level and created a fake facebook account and added you as a friend and you cry harassment. Can you grow up and have an intelligent conversation?

I was criticising your attempts at back seat moderating. You are referencing one segment of text and addressing a completely different topic. why?
    If your posts don't break the rules on boards then admins will tell me to stop/ignore my reports and you have nothing to worry about. Adults can still have their discussion, just without your childish behaviour.

The moderators are moderating. I will consider alerting admin to your behaviour if you persist.
    Nobody has come to defend you or ganged up on anyone else because of you.

Never said they did...:confused::confused:
    At least there is boards for people with no friends to say they are being ganged up on.

???
    People are free to think what they want and have no obligation to reveal every connection they have to anyone.

you don't say

That would and if he goes, I'd go (I may go anyway if I'm free).

What would I gain from speaking with you?

One of my longest (if not longest) posts ever.

nice to know :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

So to move closer back to the actual topic of the thread...... I think panda's are pretty cool. What's the SU's official opinion on pandas and all panda related legislation in Ireland?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    So to move closer to the actually topic of the thread...... I think panda's are pretty cool. What's the SU's official opinion on pandas and all panda related legislation in Ireland?

It's not a simple back-and-white issue though. It's actually rather compli....

Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I'm more of a polar bear man myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's not a simple back-and-white issue though. It's actually rather compli....

Oh wait...

i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement