Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political allegiance of SU

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I have done plenty about it, but it's fairly confidential stuff at the moment I can't go into detail with on this forum, especially in front of a particular set of prying eyes.

This thread isn't the appropriate place to go into it, however this forum might be, particularly when it's about making ul better.

Saying you can't discuss anything is another way of saying you haven't done anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

You couldn't be more wrong.

You couldn't be more wrong.

That would be correct if for some reason (as I don't personally know you so don't know what you do for ul and how you make it better) you were making ul better.

But due to a lot of your posts having no evidence and your trolling nature on boards, proof is required before I'll believe that you have done something productive to make ul better.

reunion wrote: »
    That would be correct if for some reason (as I don't personally know you so don't know what you do for ul and how you make it better) you were making ul better.

I'll stop you there. Please don't contradict me again. You don't know anything about me or what I do behind the scenes on recommendations to education committees.

I believe if you read the findings of the working group, clubs and socs are apart of the SU. This isn't the thread to get into a discussion regarding money. Clubs and socieites are apart of the ULSU.

Also by sabbat, you mean derek davis?... I have highlighted how the SU is catering for neutral political societies and non-neutral. I have yet to hear of any proof or sane arguement to state otherwise.

Also to go back on-topic (dragged off topic again..)

• Advertisement

Again you demonstrate a complete misunderstanding of how boards works. Forums are alive, threads evolve, they meander and curve. This isn't some Autistic / OCD forum where every post has to follow the setence in the thread title.

I started this thread and it has started a life of its own. Stop trying to stiffle discussion, commentary and expression because things don't go your way. Ignore the thread if it bothers you, ignore the posts if they don't feel on topic to you. If you were actually involved in the discussion, rather than, standing on the side line like an impotent linesman trying to wave your flag at the referee you'd get a lot more out of it.

I'll stop you there. Please don't contradict me again.

I'll stop you there too.

Just because I don't know you personally doesn't mean I don't know information about you.
    Stop trying to stiffle discussion, commentary and expression because things don't go your way.

I'm not stiffling discussion but rather adding to it. I've clearly made a good case for why the SU has no political allegiance and I'm awaiting a rebuttal.

Please use normal sized fonts in future.
    Just because I don't know you personally doesn't mean I don't know information about you.

you know absolutely nothing about me other than what's on facebook.

I have already made a solid and convincing case that the SU does have a political allegiances. Derek Daly took a monday off from the SU to work in Dublin knocking on doors for FF. He is an active member of said party.

FF is at an all time low, in terms of popularity, TDs, county-councillors etc. and Daly is still plugging away for them. How can this be anything but allegiance. I rest my case. Point proven. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

FF is at an all time low, in terms of popularity, TDs, county-councillors etc. and Daly is still plugging away for them. How can this be anything but allegiance. I rest my case. Point proven. QED.

Fianna Fail are not at an all time low in terms of popularity as can be seen here. See page 7 which clearly demonstrates that Fianna Fails popularity has increased 4 percentage points since October.

I was speaking at a broader scale,not literally this minute compared to 5 minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

you know absolutely nothing about me other than what's on facebook.

I have already made a solid and convincing case that the SU does have a political allegiances. Derek Daly took a monday off from the SU to work in Dublin knocking on doors for FF. He is an active member of said party.

you proved that daly is a member of fianna fail. well done, really demonstrates that famed brain of yours
    what you didnt prove was that he allows it to direct his work or compromise his work which is the real issue. You ranted, raved, made up evidence, insulted him and tried to make an issue over him taking a holiday day that he was entitled to and failed

I've clearly made a good case for why the SU has no political allegiance and I'm awaiting a rebuttal.
    Derek Daly took a monday off from the SU to work in Dublin knocking on doors for FF. He is an active member of said party.
    Daly has allegiance to FF
    freyners wrote: »
    you proved that daly is a member of fianna fail. well done

that is all I said I would do.
    Question: Are they political allegiances in the SU?
    Answer: Yes, DD is affiliated to FF
    Question: Does this influence decision making, activity, action?
    Answer: Unresolved.

Reunion said there is no political allegiance, I am just demonstrating, so that even an engineer could follow, that there clearly is. It's a fact. Indisputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Sid, if you have such a big problem with the Union and it's affiliations, why not organise a meeting with the Derek? I presume he doesn't know your real name, so there won't be any bias in the meeting.

There's no point giving out on boards (where nothing will be done), unless you're going to back up your statements with action.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

that is all I said I would do.
    Question: Are they political allegiances in the SU?
    Answer: Yes, DD is affiliated to FF
    Question: Does this influence decision making, activity, action?
    Answer: Unresolved.

Reunion said there is no political allegiance, I am just demonstrating, so that even an engineer could follow, that there clearly is. It's a fact. Indisputable.

Derek has stated many times that he is a member of FF. Well done for proving that!

As your comment about an engineer even being able to follow it, what exactly do you mean by that? That engineers are lesser human beings, and need things to be explained to them on a more basic level?

If that is the case why are the government pushing the smart economy and all its associated engineers to help the country to come out of the current economic problems? Furthermore, why is there currently a shortage of engineers in certain industries, to the point that multinationals who want to employ Irish engineers are being forced to 'import' engineers from other nationalities? If engineers were simplistic then surely anyone could take these jobs and the countries unemployment problems would be helped?

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    As your comment about an engineer even being able to follow it, what exactly do you mean by that? That engineers are lesser human beings, and need things to be explained to them on a more basic level?

If that is the case why are the government pushing the smart economy and all its associated engineers to help the country to come out of the current economic problems? Furthermore, why is there currently a shortage of engineers in certain industries, to the point that multinationals who want to employ Irish engineers are being forced to 'import' engineers from other nationalities? If engineers were simplistic then surely anyone could take these jobs and the countries unemployment problems would be helped?

b145550923.jpg

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Sid, if you have such a big problem with the Union and it's affiliations,
    I am just proving a point.
    why not organise a meeting with the Derek?

I asked him for a meeting and he seemed fairly open to the idea but didn't confirm a date.
    I presume he doesn't know your real name, so there won't be any bias in the meeting.

You presume wrong. So very wrong.
    There's no point giving out on boards (where nothing will be done),
    Another pearl of wisdom from you.
    unless you're going to back up your statements with action.
    You aren't privy to what action I take outside of this forum so how can you comment?
    Robo_Mike wrote: »
    Derek has stated many times that he is a member of FF. Well done for proving that!

Thanks

As your comment about an engineer even being able to follow it, what exactly do you mean by that? That engineers are lesser human beings, and need
    things to be explained to them on a more basic level?

Stereotypically, by their nature, engineers would not be very skilled at interpreting context, tone, other prosodic content from things like this that involve language processing.
    If that is the case why are the government pushing the smart economy

The govt are pushing a smart economy because they can't push any other. WE're too lazy as a nation to out work the Germans or the eastern europeans. We're too greedy to work for the pennies the far east work for. By smart economy we can pretend we're high skilled professionals.
    and all its associated engineers to help the country to come out of the current economic problems?

bit of a loafty opinion of engineers. Unless the engineers are going to literally build something that would help us out of this recession, perhaps a giant ladder, I'm not sure if they'll be any use.
    Furthermore, why is there currently a shortage of engineers in certain industries,

Maybe because they are crap jobs? Maybe no one wants to work as a civil engineer watching people dig holes. Maybe the salaries are too low.
    to the point that multinationals who want to employ Irish engineers are being forced to 'import' engineers from other nationalities?

Make no mistake, the 'multinational' companies in this country are here for one reason only, and that's tax breaks. They realised that Irish engineers are brutal so they bring in the grads from around the world.
    If engineers were simplistic then surely anyone could take these jobs and the countries unemployment problems would be helped?

Shows that you know. Unemployment isn't a product of no jobs, it's people not willing to work in the jobs available.

I asked him for a meeting and he seemed fairly open to the idea but didn't confirm a date.

I believe Derek has an open door policy at certain times of the week. If you head to the SU reception, they're normally very helpful there. They should know when you'd be allowed meet him. That, or send him another email giving him a day, and ask what time will be suitable. The SU can only learn from your great deal of knowledge about how things should be done.

PunkFreud wrote: »
    They should know when you'd be allowed meet him.

I have slightly more important things to do than do his job for him. If he wants to discuss things with me he knows where to find me.
    That, or send him another email giving him a day, and ask what time will be suitable. The SU can only learn from your great deal of knowledge about how things should be done.

Why exactly are you directing this juvenile advice at me? I do know how to organise a meeting.

I have slightly more important things to do than do his job for him. If he wants to discuss things with me he knows where to find me.

Why exactly are you directing this juvenile advice at me? I do know how to organise a meeting.
    Then organise a meeting. There's no point complaining if you're not going to do anything about it. You seem to be a fountain of knowledge, but when it comes round to actually do anything about it you're saying that it would be doing his job for him? It's mindblowing. I was trying to be helpful, but you seem to be beyond help.

You're actually too unbelievable to be a troll. You're just Sid.

What exactly can the SU president do to change the face of the university? organise a bus to a riot? give out cups of tea?

There are far more important people in this university than someone who won't be around this time next year. I have addressed my comments to those individuals.

You should check your facts before you go inferring things about me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

What exactly can the SU president do to change the face of the university? organise a bus to a riot? give out cups of tea?

Sid you honestly have no idea what the SU presidents job is do you.

I know exactly what the role entails and what its limitations are. SU presidents never have and never will make anything more than cosmetic changes to the college. you're the one that has no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

If you believe the SU has so little influence (and i'm not saying your right or wrong here), then why do you care so much?

I know exactly what the role entails and what its limitations are. SU presidents never have and never will make anything more than cosmetic changes to the college. you're the one that has no clue.
    If you want more than cosmetic changes, then the changes will take years. You will be long gone from the university when they'd be completed. If the place is so terrible, what made you come to UL? According to you, is there anything good about the university?

Back on topic: Derek Daly is a member of Fianna Fail, he is their secretary for Limerick City. It is my view that his membership of the party does not affect his role as SU president. Gary Redmond is also a member of FF, and that doesn't affect his role as USI president. Just because you are a member of FF doesn't make you evil or a bad person, just the same as if you're a member of Labour, Fine Gael, Sinn Féin etc.

To hell with it, I'm just going to invoke Godwin's law:

Hitler wasn't a member of FF, therefore if you're not a member of FF than you're a Nazi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ULChieftain

Even the ul president can't change the college on their own. Collectively we have a louder voice and are a bigger and better force. The president of the SU represents this louder voice.

I'm sure there are a number of things (good and bad) SU presidents have done over the years ranging from cosmetic to permanent changes, but in reality the students get the change they want and not the personal view of an individual SU president.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Who said I was paying anything. Don't make assumptions like a naughty nockz.

So you are someone that getting another free ride through collage while most people only get one free go through collage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Sid then why are you asking in another thread what has the SU done on the topic of the library extension if you don't believe that the SU can make any changes to the college. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This thread's moved well beyond sanity (where it had been (sort of) very much earlier on) into the land where small children flap at each other with copybooks.

You're supposed to be striving for less idiocy, not more, folks. Less copybook flapping, not more. You left behind the possibly-arguably relevant part of the discussion a long time ago.

We're done. Complaints to the usual address.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement