Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional Security around UCD..

Options
  • 26-10-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I noticed today that everyone looked a bit on edge,more than usual. There were security chaps going round all the corridors of Newman and I was just wondering what's up. Impending VIP visit? Anti-terrorist drills? Someone trying to steal the whiteboard markers from the C block? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

I noticed that yesterday too! Theyre here again today as well. So far its only in newman that i noticed them. Theres one big guy in particular who stands sort of near the o2 stand that i keep noticing.

Anyone have any idea what its all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

All the ISS staff were in Th.P in newman this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 badtinegirl

We asked one of them what they are doing a few days ago
    and he told us he was a fire marshal. I heard staff talking about
    the building needing work done to bring the fire safety up
    to standard. I dont know if thats true or not. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Chet T16 wrote: »
    All the ISS staff were in Th.P in newman this morning

Presumably related to all the issues they have been having lately. I guess when they predict potential trouble, they may up security.

And of course there could be some other event happening that they are preparing for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Noticed this too! It's really odd. There are random guys in suits standing around the newman building and a lot more security walking around campus accommodation :S

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Noticed that as well yesterday, as well as lots more security guards all year around the accommodation, just walking around, etc.

Seems a bit silly to increase security significantly (when there isn't a huge need to) and yet take away important services desks from buildings.

Presumably related to all the issues they have been having lately.
    Issues? Oooh! Gossip! :P What's up there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Very strange indeed. There was one of the Federal security guards on the 3rd floor of Newman yesterday having a very prolonged look down at one of the lower roofs as if he was on the lookout for something.

In fact there is a guard outside the politics corridor in Newman at all times it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

There was a protest planned for 13:00 today at the lake. I gather those involved were sympathetic to the Occupy Dame St movement. I'm not certain whether it went ahead as I had class. Perhaps the security guys thought it could escalate or that some opportunists would cause hassle in or around Newman? Just one suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Anti-terrorist drills?
    Wut is anti-terrorist drill?!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement

Lol! It's amazing how a few posters from the leftists can scare the bejesus out of them. They'd want to be more concerned about the ducks rising up in protest and occupying the place under the authority of Herr Swan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The college is being infilitrated, trust no one.

I have told you what they are doing unless the guy
    was lying to me. Why not ask the like we did on
    Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

UCD Services staff were replaced with security contractors over the summer, so yes there is more security staff on campus now that there was last year.

Res security was probably beefed up as I'd say more people are drinking more in their houses from being too broke to drink in pubs, and so are just getting locked at home and heading straight to a club. The state of the fences around the res would seem to show that this security is onble effective at stopping people coming in the main gates of each res.

As for Newman.. who knows? Have SIPTU been kicking up a fuss of late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Typical UCD, cutting service staff left, right and centre but yet hiring loads of unneccessary security. Goes to show where the priorities lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 OmegaRed10

We asked one of them what they are doing a few days ago
    and he told us he was a fire marshal. I heard staff talking about
    the building needing work done to bring the fire safety up
    to standard. I dont know if thats true or not. :confused::confused:

Safety upgrades. The Newman building is huge - if the fire alarm is offline you'd need people all around the building to evacuate sections if there was a real fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

There are signs up on the doors of the Newman explaining it all. They're there while fire and safety measures in the building are being upgraded.

They definitely seem to put people on edge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Typical UCD, cutting service staff left, right and centre but yet hiring loads of unneccessary security. Goes to show where the priorities lie...
    The devil is in the detail - they haven't hired anybody. The have sourced security personnel via a third party, while letting ucd services staff go. This reduces pay roll costs so ucd can say to teh governmentz that they have reduced their wage bill.
    Their operational costs though will soar from paying all these third party security people ( federal I think someone said).
    Its cooking the books plain and simple.

Siuin wrote: »
    Issues? Oooh! Gossip! :P What's up there?

Well I'm not going to put up idle speculation on here. I do know that ISS have been having issues with their staff, the bombsite that is the Arts Block recently is sign enough of that. I think I know why...but not sure enough to say on here! PM if you're that interested in the gossip :P

Hey wait...maybe there is a market for downmarket, gossipy tabloid in UCD :pac:

I hope the other buildings are ok? People getting
    worried after the issues with the apartment
    block in town I guess. We did fire drills in school
    do they ever happen here or are the buildings to big?

• Advertisement

I never remember a fire drill in the Arts Block. I've seen them in other buildings though. I hadn't really thought about until this thread.

Hopefully the building is safe and they are being cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

OmegaRed10 wrote: »
    Safety upgrades. The Newman building is huge - if the fire alarm is offline you'd need people all around the building to evacuate sections if there was a real fire.

Yes, I heard the fire alarm was offline, and so we have all these 'fire-watching-marshall-type' guys around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I hope the other buildings are ok? People getting
    worried after the issues with the apartment
    block in town I guess. We did fire drills in school
    do they ever happen here or are the buildings to big?

There was a fire drill in Newman last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Heard there was a fire drill in the health science building today?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

Fire drill today in James Joyce Library ~3pm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Could have been some devious student bribing the library official so they'd get on a computer when the fire drill was over

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Fire drills defeat the whole purpose of the fire alarms. We had a fire alarm during poster presentation sometime in late September in Heatlth Science during the evening. Something was apparently wrong with the system itself and no fire. Annoying as hell.

jan shyr wrote: »
    Fire drills defeat the whole purpose of the fire alarms.

What? They are standard practice according to all safety laws. Plus common sense dictates they are necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

jan shyr wrote: »
    Wut is anti-terrorist drill?!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's a fire safety thing. Article about it in the college tribune.

Advertisement