Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kindle for college

• 26-10-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

My college library gives access to e-books on dawsonera where you can login and download for a week at a time. Im finding these hard to read on my laptop though and am just wondering if I would be able to access them on a kindle if i bought one or would i have to buy all books through a kindle store? also should I go for the kindle keyboard or the basic one? the keyboard has 3G so im swayed towards that one.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Jammie01 wrote: »
    My college library gives access to e-books on dawsonera where you can login and download for a week at a time. Im finding these hard to read on my laptop though and am just wondering if I would be able to access them on a kindle if i bought one or would i have to buy all books through a kindle store? also should I go for the kindle keyboard or the basic one? the keyboard has 3G so im swayed towards that one.

Thanks
    What format does your library offer books for loan in? Because if its drm-protected epub then your kindle won't be able to read them. Also consider the type of ebook you'll be reading - anything technical with lots of graphs/pictures will be difficult to read on a kindle's small screen.

Personally I'd opt for the keyboard but I'd be happy with the basic too. As for 3G ask yourself will you be purchasing books on the move, i.e no reliable wi-fi available. Given that you're going to college I imagine you'll never be too far from an internet connection

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jammie01

Thanks, I think they might be DRM alright which is a pity! I wonder would they work on the Sony e-reader instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Jammie01 wrote: »
    Thanks, I think they might be DRM alright which is a pity! I wonder would they work on the Sony e-reader instead?
    I'm not 100% sure on lending capabilities with the Sony, but I'd imagine there's a far greater chance of it being compatible rather than the kindle.

Advertisement